New 'Deep Conceal' recommendations

Rich M

I'm looking to get a pistol. Something smaller that my current ones. My G29 is a good size but bulky. If there were a single stack option, that would rock. Considering that I'm going to be using this with a belly band or other garment that keeps it close to the body, I want something with a little more safety than a Glock. Something with a hammer and thumb safety maybe. 9mm minimum but I'm looking at .45 really.

Anyone have suggestion on a good make and model for something like this?

Thanks
Rich

So, you are really looking for a single-stack .45 ACP with some manual safety, likely a hammer-fired firearm with a thumb safety? Don't go for one of those compact 1911s that jam all the time.

Looking for something small. Smaller than what I have now. In the belly band the G29 digs into my ribs and prints a little bit. With no safety, Im concerned the G29 could pose as much of a threat to me and anyone else if I tried to retrieve if from the band in a hurried situation. Ive also been able to actuate it intentionally when in the bellyband. Main reason for an additional safety.
Was hoping others had something similar they really like.

Personally I look for deep conceal and comfort as well. I have never been able to find it in a .45. No matter which gun I tried or which holster (though I've never tried a belly band) it always felt like I was carrying a brick. If you look at the long list of compact single stack 9mm's available you could easily find one that will completely disappear on you. Most police forces are moving to the 9mm including our local force. It's just that with the advent of the newer 9mm loads, the stopping power is amazing. Of course I'm not sure why you're leaning towards a .45 and it's not my place to disagree. WE all have our favorites. I only mention it because if deep concealment and comfort are your priorities, the 9mm is a better choice. Good luck whichever way you go!

Personally I look for deep conceal and comfort as well. I have never been able to find it in a .45. No matter which gun I tried or which holster (though I've never tried a belly band) it always felt like I was carrying a brick. If you look at the long list of compact single stack 9mm's available you could easily find one that will completely disappear on you. Most police forces are moving to the 9mm including our local force. It's just that with the advent of the newer 9mm loads, the stopping power is amazing. Of course I'm not sure why you're leaning towards a .45 and it's not my place to disagree. WE all have our favorites. I only mention it because if deep concealment and comfort are your priorities, the 9mm is a better choice. Good luck whichever way you go!

The .45 is an interest, not mandatory. May very well be a 9mm I end up with. I already have one and plenty of ammo for it, so that would keep costs down. Its full size tho.
Weight, feel and invisibility are the priorities.
Tax return should be here soon so Im compiling suggestions at the moment. Thanks :)

I recently bought a used Sig 239 in 9mm. I absolutely love this little pistol. I talked last week with a well respected Sig pistolsmith who works on 226,229 &239 . He does trigger jobs and many other things to them. He said after working on them he test fires them off sandbags at 25 yards. He said he doesn't quite understand why but the 239 are on average more accurate than the other 2. The double action trigger pull on mine is deliberate but excellent. I can pull the trigger again and again without my front sight pulling off target at all. This is the first DA/SA small 9mm I have ever owned which exhibited this characteristic. It will be my EDC.

Shield in a smart carry. I use that rig all the time in the summer. It vanishes under anything that isn't skin tight.

I rotate several single-stack 9mm's but my smallest and most concealable is my Sig 938, cocked & locked. I also carry a pocket gun, smallest being my Seecamp .32. If you feel better carrying a .45, I like the Kahr PM45.

Rich M, I wish I had seen this thread earlier because I have a recommendation that you might like. Maybe someone else will also. I have a Springfield Armory XDs45 with a Crimson Trace. What a great combination! For a 45 this gun is pretty light and very easy shooting. The recoil is more of a push rather than a snap. My LCP 380 is actually more punishing. I conceal carry it in a Sneaky Pete holster. I have several holsters and this one is by far the most comfortable.

vbr9fvMl.jpg

PIAX01Rl.jpg

Legally, that may be considered CC, but it is far from being 'concealed'.

It was funny to watch people checking this guy out....

Yes, legally and in actuality it is concealed. As many times as I have worn it into stores and Wally World I have never seen anyone give it a second glance. Some people carry large cell phones or small tablets in containers similar to the Sneaky Pete. Here in Texas we can, with an LTC, open carry unless a business is posted with a legal 30.07 sign. Open carry will certainly get second glances. I don't open carry and don't intend to. The other way I conceal carry is with a Crimson Trace pocket holster. It is also very comfortable. Thanks for commenting.

H43Zsi8l.jpg

Beware of the Sneaky Pete Holster

Rich M, I wish I had seen this thread earlier because I have a recommendation that you might like. Maybe someone else will also. I have a Springfield Armory XDs45 with a Crimson Trace. What a great combination! For a 45 this gun is pretty light and very easy shooting. The recoil is more of a push rather than a snap. My LCP 380 is actually more punishing. I conceal carry it in a Sneaky Pete holster. I have several holsters and this one is by far the most comfortable.

From an earlier discussion thread on that holster:

If you get the Sneaky Pete holster, make sure you practice drawing from it. The holster covers up the lower part of the firearm's grip, which means your hand will not get a full grip on the firearm before removing it from the holster. A poor draw procedure executed hastily is a recipe for shooting yourself in the foot. At 1:15, this guy draws his weapon with the finger on the trigger while pointing it at his hip and leg:

That was a great video. I have practiced a lot drawing from the Sneaky Pete. Another thing I do is anytime I am holding the gun my trigger goes instinctively above the trigger and parallel to the slide. I always pull the gun by the grip with my trigger finger away from the trigger. I'm glad I saw the video because I have never used my thumb to open the case. That looks like the absolute best way and I'll be practicing that technique. I can draw much more quickly from the Sneaky Pete than the Remora or CTC pocket holsters. By the way I have no interest in the Sneaky Pete company. I bought mine at retail just like everyone else does. I just really like the product.

Sneaky Pete is not a fast draw holster. I am not a fan of them. Not good for Concealed Carry with a shirt or jacket over it.

Sneaky Pete is not a fast draw holster. I am not a fan of them. Not good for Concealed Carry with a shirt or jacket over it.
You are welcome to your opinion but you should see how fast I can draw from mine with complete safety. Of course I would never win a fast draw competition with it but it serves my purpose. When I carry using SP it is always with my shirt tucked in. In the winter when I have a jacket on I don't use it for carry.
I shopped in Lowes today and Harbor Freight with it on and no one paid a bit of attention. It is not unusual to see people carrying their large cell phones or PDAs in containers like SP. Hiding in plain sight and meets the letter of the law for concealed carry.

You are welcome to your opinion but you should see how fast I can draw from mine with complete safety. Of course I would never win a fast draw competition with it but it serves my purpose. When I carry using SP it is always with my shirt tucked in. In the winter when I have a jacket on I don't use it for carry.
I shopped in Lowes today and Harbor Freight with it on and no one paid a bit of attention. It is not unusual to see people carrying their large cell phones or PDAs in containers like SP. Hiding in plain sight and meets the letter of the law for concealed carry.

Opinions are just that, opinions. Experience is something different. Have you ever completed a defensive handgun class with this holster? If not, have you ever fast drawn your firearm from this holster at the range and fired at a silhouette target using a self defense drill, such as the Mozambique drill? Do you practice this regularly? If you are comfortable with carrying this holster, good for you. I am still not recommending this holster.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back