New CPL holder. A few Questions

Itstjs

Just got my license to carry here in the state of Michigan a couple of days ago. Now, the day I received my license I was of course a little nervous when carrying. I literally went right out to my car, got my S&W M and P 40 out of the trunk, put a magazine into it, and put it in my concealed holster.
I have a full size s&w but I tend to wear shirts that come just below my belt line, is it considered brandishing if the pistol grip is showing? Are there any laws against printing in Michigan? I havent been able to get any of those answers, and when I ask the police, they tend to go on some rant about I should only carry it when I think Im going to need it, or theyll go on some long discussion and I get lost somewhere in the mix...
I should also address the issue that my pistol has a safety on it. Im thinking of having a black smith remove it, simply because with my Galco concealed holster, the safety is forced off with a groove, I noticed that and since then quit carrying with a hot round in the chamber. Im just a little afraid that Ill end up shooting myself in the ass, or end up misfiring. Is it legal to Open Carry with a CPL?
Ive got plenty of experience with handling firearms. Im with the Michigan Army National Guard, but still Im just a bit nervous.
Is it normal to constantly think of scenarios where Id be forced to pull my gun on someone? I more less try to think of ways NOT to pull my firearm, I guess I just second guess myself, would it be legal to pull a firearm on, say 2 people stopping their vehicle for what ever reason and approaching you in a manner and you believe they are going to cause bodily harm?

Anyhow, I dont want to sound like an immature "kid" just a bit more aware of the possibilities now that Im legal to carry.

Itsjts, First off Congradulations on getting your Permit. You will find out as time goes on you will become more Comfortable Carrying your weapon. I think we all felt that way in the beginning. Its normal reaction because of the the responcibilty that comes with carrying an weapon. as far as the brandashing its hard to say. Its basically up to the officer at that point in time If you have taken every means possible to conceal your weapon and, yet it still shows than maybe the LE would be more Understanding But,if you really dont try to conceal than yes that can be taken for unresponcilble concealment. Thus Brandashing. Most states are very unclear in thier laws even here in New York Just do your best to Conceal your weapon and you should be Good to go. as to open carry Im not sure we here in NY have no open carry at all but from what Ican tell you may open carry but in order to conceal you need an permit to do so. Im not an big fan of open carry. Ibelieve out of sight out of mind. carrying openly attracts allot of attention at least in my point of view. after a couple weeks of carrying you will defiantely feel on top of your game I always carry with one in the pipe in an urgent situation the last thing you want to do is stop and chamber a round the leastmental thought you have to go through the better. I hope I helped you some what Im no expert maybe someone else can give you better Information. be safe welcome to the Concealed Carry Club Take Care, Until Then

Respectfully,
Trophyhunter

Thank you very much trophyhunter, you have helped me quite a bit, I dont plan on open carrying, Ive seen and heard of alot of unwanted attention, especially from the police, last thing I want is a bunch of police surrounding me and lecturing me about my weapon being exposed. Either way, youre right, it will pass with a few weeks, especially with me being a new ccp holder.

Thank you very much trophyhunter, you have helped me quite a bit, I dont plan on open carrying, Ive seen and heard of alot of unwanted attention, especially from the police, last thing I want is a bunch of police surrounding me and lecturing me about my weapon being exposed. Either way, youre right, it will pass with a few weeks, especially with me being a new ccp holder.

You will feel like the odd man in the group. The sensation of all eyes focused on you, knowing what it is you have hanging on your belt... And that's just the folks at home:sarcastic:

Just relax and be yourself knowing you do carry and others do as well. Welcome to the site and enjoy the freedom.. It all becomes natural with a little time.

Peace...

I suggest wisely as mature pro-ccw put the magazines in your pouch and put your firearm in your holster at home, before you are leaving out of the house to shopping, restaurant, fishing, or whatever instead of pulling things out of your trunk. It may expose the firearms to the freaky people may call the cops. You don't want to loose your ccw license.

Some ccw people pulled things out of the trunk and put things in pouch and holster, which they are "bragging". Not wisely!

As I'm sure you know it is a big responsibility when you are licensed to carry a weapon and I think it is normal to be scared (IMO) at first I have been carrying for about a year and I still find my self touching the holster to make sure my weapon has not slipped out or I tug my shirt down and I feel like everyone is watching me and they all know I'm packing LOL :fie: I have my holster and weapon on before I leave the house and it does not come off until I'm back in the house.

Thank you all so much for the kind comments. I should clarify, I was not still at the Court House when I pulled my weapon out of the trunk, too many cops lol, I was pretty much at a dead end within the Flint area, weapon was in its box [as Michigan law sates it should be when transporting a firearm without a cpl. I sat back in my car [friend Eric was with me] and then put it on my hip. Ive seen enough youtube videos with Kimberguy to know having an exposed weapon is not a good idea unless I absolutely need it.
I guess Im not the only one feeling like all eyes were on me, I guess its just a common thing. Again, thank you all so much =] Any advice from veteran ccw carriers would be amazing. What is the best holster to use for the S&W M&P 40?

Just got my license to carry here in the state of Michigan a couple of days ago. Now, the day I received my license I was of course a little nervous when carrying. I literally went right out to my car, got my S&W M and P 40 out of the trunk, put a magazine into it, and put it in my concealed holster.
I have a full size s&w but I tend to wear shirts that come just below my belt line, is it considered brandishing if the pistol grip is showing? Are there any laws against printing in Michigan? I havent been able to get any of those answers, and when I ask the police, they tend to go on some rant about I should only carry it when I think Im going to need it, or theyll go on some long discussion and I get lost somewhere in the mix...
I should also address the issue that my pistol has a safety on it. Im thinking of having a black smith remove it, simply because with my Galco concealed holster, the safety is forced off with a groove, I noticed that and since then quit carrying with a hot round in the chamber. Im just a little afraid that Ill end up shooting myself in the ass, or end up misfiring. Is it legal to Open Carry with a CPL?
Ive got plenty of experience with handling firearms. Im with the Michigan Army National Guard, but still Im just a bit nervous.
Is it normal to constantly think of scenarios where Id be forced to pull my gun on someone? I more less try to think of ways NOT to pull my firearm, I guess I just second guess myself, would it be legal to pull a firearm on, say 2 people stopping their vehicle for what ever reason and approaching you in a manner and you believe they are going to cause bodily harm?

Anyhow, I dont want to sound like an immature "kid" just a bit more aware of the possibilities now that Im legal to carry.

I think nervousness is normal, and it will pass as time goes by and you become more comfortable "wearing" the gun. Plus, in terms of mentally walking yourself through scenarios, I think that's good training ... kind of like how athletes are taught to VISUALIZE so that the brain spends less time processing the orders and the muscles kick in faster.

I'm in Michigan, and while I am no lawyer I believe that "concealed" generally means "to keep from being seen, found, observed, or discovered; to HIDE" -- basically, that others are unaware of the presence of a gun. If the pistol grip is visible, then I doubt you could lay any claim to CONCEALED. Printing would also make some people aware of the presence of a gun, so I would say that's a no-no too.

I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong, that open carry is legal in Michigan. You do not need a license to carry openly. However, count on attracting attention ... especially from LEOs.

I won't comment on your option to seek a gunsmith to remove the safety on your gun. That's personal preference, and I am in line with many on these forums who simply say CARRY the way that you TRAIN.

Last, I like a lot of the quotables here regarding when to carry:
  1. When seconds count, law enforcement is only minutes away.
  2. A gun is like a fire extinguisher. You do not have an extinguisher because you expect a fire, but rather prefer to have it on hand just in case trouble arises.
  3. I hope to always have a gun, and never need it.

I always "wear" my gun because i don't want to have dive or dash for it when the SHTF, and I have never been the type of female that likes to wait for someone else to rescue me.

Welcome USA Carry. May you carry responsibly and safely.

Best of luck to you,

welcome to the ccw club my friend! im too a newish person to ccw. got my permit a few months back. i carry a m&p ina blackhawk serpa holster, but its not the best one to ccw with. i now use the holster for duty or to use at the range. depending on your body type and clothing you might be able to get away with it. im 6'2 and about 250lbs so for me its a little hard. now i use a springfield xd subcompact in a fanny pack till my crossbreed supertuck gets here. oh and dont worry about people thinking ur carrying, they will never know till the time is right. i felt the same way for a month, but then stoped cause noone noticed a thing.

good luck and best wishes!

Itstjs,

First of all congratulations, and welcome to the board.

That M&P 40 is a good sized pistol to conceal but with the right clothing, and holster it can be done.

After walking around with it, you will just have to buy several other pistols for conceal carry. One for each occasion, day of the week, or outfit. Just like your shoes.

I understand your concerns about brandishing. I prefer that nobody, and I mean nobody is aware that I have a firearm. The cops are the least of my worries in my neighborhood. They only come around in force anyhow.

The cops might not be your best source of info, unless one is your friend. If you do something wrong, a cop is the last person in the world who is your friend. Unless you are "connected".

Regarding your firearms safety. Please, blacksmith, gunsmith, don't be messing with your safety. It is part of the firearms operational system and you don't really want to F with that. You just might want to think about another holster if your galco is interfering. Most of us here have a drawer full of holsters that we don't use.

Carry with round in the chamber? Most do. With proper training, you can work up to that if you wish.
In a situation, you won't have time to mess with your slide.

This is why, I like to carry a revolver. They work, about every time. IMO, more reliable then a semi-auto.

I understand your concern about "doing the right thing" if you were faced with a deadly force situation.

The last thing I want to do, is to use deadly force.

It will change your life forever.

May I suggest you library, or buy this book by Massad Ahoob. "In The Gravest Extreme " It is somewhat dated, and the author has a funny name, but it is a very good reading for people new to conceal carry. People who have carried for years, should read it again.

Ahoob writes other books also. Good guy.

May I suggest you get more training. Can't hurt.

Thank you all so much for the kind comments. I should clarify, I was not still at the Court House when I pulled my weapon out of the trunk, too many cops lol, I was pretty much at a dead end within the Flint area, weapon was in its box [as Michigan law sates it should be when transporting a firearm without a cpl. I sat back in my car [friend Eric was with me] and then put it on my hip. Ive seen enough youtube videos with Kimberguy to know having an exposed weapon is not a good idea unless I absolutely need it.
I guess Im not the only one feeling like all eyes were on me, I guess its just a common thing. Again, thank you all so much =] Any advice from veteran ccw carriers would be amazing. What is the best holster to use for the S&W M&P 40?

For holster advice like a gun, try some and see what you like. For OWB (outside waist band) try the DeSantis catalog. I have 3 and will keep going back for more. Price is reasonable. They fit both belt and gun well.
For IWB (inside waist band) try the CrossBreed SuperTuck. I carry both my M&Ps (45 full size and .40 compact) in one. Comfort and fit is great, quality is great, Worth the $70.00...

Peace...

<snipped>
I should also address the issue that my pistol has a safety on it. Im thinking of having a black smith remove it, simply because with my Galco concealed holster, the safety is forced off with a groove, I noticed that and since then quit carrying with a hot round in the chamber. Im just a little afraid that Ill end up shooting myself in the ass, or end up misfiring.<snipped>.

Congratulations on deciding to be responsible for your own safety and well being.

Now that I've said that, I must raise a concern. You need to get the CORRECT holster for your gun. The correct holster will NOT disengage the safety when you holster your weapon. If you have the holster listed for your model handgun, please talk to your local gun store owner. Something is not right with the scenario you describe.

Hey congrats!!! I feel most folks new to CCW feel like you do. I did for a while. In fact,I still smooth out my shirt over my holster when i get out of my jeep. However,I keep the door open,and use the vehicle to shield my movement and prevent anyone from possibly seeing what I am doing. Have you gone for what alot of CCW'ers call a "wally-walk"? I feel that can go along way to improve one's confidence in CCW. Just gather up your wife or girlfriend (even go alone!),and take a little shopping trip through your local discount retailer,most of the time wal-mart. Another point,"dress to the gun". Maybe you need to buy your shirts a size bigger. In cooler weather,it's not an issue,you'd likely have on a coat,or jacket. However,in hot weather,a button down shirt,untucked,works well for me here in VA. If you wear an IWB holster,you might want your trousers a size bigger too,to allow for extra width from gun and holster. Anyway,read,learn as much as you can. Be open to new ideas,and most of all....STAY SAFE!!!!

I would definitely leave the safety alone. The last thing you ever want is to be in a position where, if you had to use your weapon in a self defense situation and were sued civilly, a lawyer would paint you as someone who knowingly altered a gun's safety, thereby making it easier to use to kill someone. They went over issues like this in our training, even to the point of how some attorneys or DA's would even go after you for using a hollow point bullet. Just my 2 cents.

I must play Devils A.

First thing, use deadly force first, not last.

If you are scared to carry, then dont.

Cops respect CPL's here in MI.

IF you have to open your trunk to , its to late.

Concealed means concealed, hide the gun [ON YOUR PERSON OR WHEN DRIVING COVERED, NOT ON THE DASHBOARD]

GOD man, why are you carrying?

Where did you train to get your permit?

I wouldnt want to be part of your family relying on you for protection against felons.

Pathectic. sorry.

Yup... Congratulations on your permit. Being from MI also I hope I can help with MI laws.
No, jusy someone seeing your gun is not brandishing. Basicaly you have to threaten someone with it.
Also, no law against printing. In fact, open carry is legal and with a CPL, you can even carry in most gun free zones.
I suggest you go to MGO Community Forum - Powered by vBulletin and just spend a week or so reading.
You can also check out Link Removed .
I personaly don't worry about it anymore, I both open and conceal carry with no problems.
You'll find that most people don't even notice even when open carrying.

welcome to the wonderful world of carrying GUNS. dont worry it will get more natural feeling. in the meantime go over a lot of the good info on this site. enjoy!

I must play Devils A.

Concealed means concealed, hide the gun [ON YOUR PERSON OR WHEN DRIVING COVERED, NOT ON THE DASHBOARD]

I wouldnt want to be part of your family relying on you for protection against felons.

Pathectic. sorry.
wow, could we be anymore rude?

I must play Devils A.

Pathectic. sorry.

gacy.jpg

POGO IS ANGRY WITH YOU.
Micpl,
The OP is new. No reason to beat him. You know better then that.

Eh, not worried about micpl had no advice what so ever, more than likely just some kid looking to pick on someone...This isnt the craigslist rants and raves, have some respect dude.
Either way, I want to thank you all for the advice, since Ive started on this site Ive pretty much forgotten that I even carry concealed at all. I open carry around the Apartment complex every so often, to try and get the feel for it in case I ever feel like OC.
Leader, thank you for the website, I think Ill hit that link and check it out, reading and getting familiar with things never hurts.
Im going to get in touch with my CPL instructor and see about taking some of the other classes he offers.
Again, thank you all.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back