new carry permit, holster questions

bigmikebrooklyn

Hey there everyone,
Just got my permit, and bought an IWB holster for my sig 2022 (i'm a big guy, size of the pistol not really a problem for me), but i'm not really liking the IWB holster, any suggestions for other options that are concealable? For the 2022 specifically?
Thanks!
-Mike

If you are new to carry it will take time, I carry full time OWB, good quality leather/holster/belts help, but wear all the time and you will get comfortable.

I carry my Ruger SR40c in a Bianchi Carrylok holster. It's pretty much a pancake holster with level-2 retention. I highly recomend them. They had the only shoulder holster that was comfortable to wear all day I could find. Everything else was crap. A quick search for Bianchi Sig 2022 holster returned this:
Bianchi Sig Sauer Holsters - Bianchi Sig P229, P220, SP2022 Holsters & More
I've also used a Fobus paddle holster but they're not as easy to conceal. I'm in an OC state so I wasn't too concerned. Check them out:
Fobus Holster
I think the paddle type holsters are pretty comfortable and they're easier to get on and off than the belt holsters.
Anyway, hope this helps. Let us know what you figure out.

IWB Holster question

Hey there everyone,
Just got my permit, and bought an IWB holster for my sig 2022 (i'm a big guy, size of the pistol not really a problem for me), but i'm not really liking the IWB holster, any suggestions for other options that are concealable? For the 2022 specifically?
Thanks!
-Mike

Someone once told me that "once you make the decision to carry concealed, you will eventually end up with a drawer full of holsters." in other words, you have to try different ones and find the right one for you. If you have friends w a holster that fits your gun, ask if you can try it out. The Cross Breed super-tuck gets very high reviews for comfort.

Ever think of carrying behind your back? If so, and your right handed, try a left hand IWB behind your back. And if your a lefty use a right hand IWB behind your back. Or maybe try a shoulder holster.

Give it time and play with it and the way your body takes it. What I mean is we all have a sweet spot, the music sounds and the angels sing when you find it. Make sure you have a good belt to support your holster, doesn't do any good to have a holster if it doesn't stay in place.

I tried IWB and am a confirmed "any other way" advocate. I know those who carry that way love it and bless their hearts, but it isn't for me. I have a kangaroo carry which is worn under your shirt and rides much like a shoulder holster. It is virtually invisible even under a T shirt or golf shirt. I also have a nice leather shoulder holster, sometimes I go with a simple blackhawk set up with pancake (my range carry method) or I have 2 nice leather vests, one heavy one light, both of which are modified to carry like a shoulder holster. Also I have a couple pairs of ccw pants which have pockets tailored to pocket carry. The pockets are adjustable and can snap out so draw is easy even from a seated position.

I guess, Yeah, I got a drawer full. But I use them all at different times.

Hey everybody,
Thanks for all the advice! So i've given it a while, it's a clone of the crossbreed I got off ebay, but horsehide, nice enough, still haven't found the magic number. I can't really carry shoulder harness, which would be my preferred. I think i'm just going to have to find a smaller pistol for daily. I can shoot ambidexterously so I tried the small of the back and that is most comfortable, but even with a solid leather gun belt, she starts riding low and suddenly i'm printing both the weapon and my gigantic ass crack :).

Hey everybody,
Thanks for all the advice! So i've given it a while, it's a clone of the crossbreed I got off ebay, but horsehide, nice enough, still haven't found the magic number. I can't really carry shoulder harness, which would be my preferred. I think i'm just going to have to find a smaller pistol for daily. I can shoot ambidexterously so I tried the small of the back and that is most comfortable, but even with a solid leather gun belt, she starts riding low and suddenly i'm printing both the weapon and my gigantic ass crack :).

Take a look at UBG Holsters I have used him for years now. My first holster when I started carrying at age 21 was from him, I have never been let down, Nate is an outstanding guy and former Marine. Secondly take a look at 5.11 tactical operator belt, 5.11 Tactical Operator 1 3/4" Wide Tactical Belt | Official 5.11 Site. I have used it for years and it's outstanding, stiff nylon with a PVC insert, can be used as a harness if you really needed it to be and it has a load limit of 6,000 pounds. Unless your a 5 or 6 XL, they have you covered all the way up to 4XL. I have always been told small of the back carry is risky, as should you ever fall while your gun is in that position you could damage your spin. But if that is the only place you can carry go for it.

I have Carried a Full-size S&WM&P 9mm on this belt, M&P compact 9mm, M&P compact 40cal, 1911 commander style, Glock 23, a Sig P229, Glock 21 and soon to be a Glock 19. Most of the firearms had a tactical light mounted on the rail and some had Crimson trace grips, followed by two spare mags on the left side, or one mag and a surefire light in a Galco holster. The belt doesn't sag with all that weight, and it stays put on my hips for the most part.

What part of New Hampshire are you from?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back