New carry law in New Mexico

CharlieK

Last February (I think) Gov. Bill Richardson signed a law that allows concealed carrying in restaurants that serve beer and wine, but not hard liquor. People carrying a firearm, though, are not allowed to drink ANY alcohol.

This is a letter that I wrote to the editor of the Albuquerque Journal during the first week that the law took effect.

Editor:
The new law that allows carriers of concealed handguns to go into restaurants that serve beer and wine took effect on July 1. Already some people are freaking out. Restaurants can post a sign saying that guns are not allowed. I heard on KKOB Radio on Sunday that a woman who owns such a restaurant was quoted as saying, “I’m concerned about my liability if someone comes in, has a glass of wine, and then goes out and shoots someone, so I’m going to post a sign that says ‘No guns allowed’”. Of course, she didn’t seem to know that it will be against the law for someone carrying a weapon to drink any alcoholic beverage.

I wonder if she is also going to post a sign that says, “No car keys allowed,” because she should be much more concerned if someone comes in, has a glass of wine, on top of several more, and then goes out and kills someone while driving drunk.

I got many high-fives from my friends after they saw the letter.

Once again our ability to carry open or concealed is a function of knowledge (not false information) being available, I agree an individual not drinking and carrying in a place where booze is served is safer than serving a drunk and allowing them to leave.

Last February (I think) Gov. Bill Richardson signed a law that allows concealed carrying in restaurants that serve beer and wine, but not hard liquor. People carrying a firearm, though, are not allowed to drink ANY alcohol.

This is a letter that I wrote to the editor of the Albuquerque Journal during the first week that the law took effect.

Editor:
The new law that allows carriers of concealed handguns to go into restaurants that serve beer and wine took effect on July 1. Already some people are freaking out. Restaurants can post a sign saying that guns are not allowed. I heard on KKOB Radio on Sunday that a woman who owns such a restaurant was quoted as saying, “I’m concerned about my liability if someone comes in, has a glass of wine, and then goes out and shoots someone, so I’m going to post a sign that says ‘No guns allowed’”. Of course, she didn’t seem to know that it will be against the law for someone carrying a weapon to drink any alcoholic beverage.

I wonder if she is also going to post a sign that says, “No car keys allowed,” because she should be much more concerned if someone comes in, has a glass of wine, on top of several more, and then goes out and kills someone while driving drunk.

I called a news channel a while back (have no memory which one,i think it was Fox) after this came up.That was exactly my point.Why not just put a limit on 2 drinks? Of course,everyone has different tolerances,but there has to some kind of a standard.

state of Michigan, your BAC cannot be more than like .016 or something of the sort. I asked if I was allowed to drink and carry, the LEO said yes, but its best to leave the weapon in the car, and as long as I dont exceed the BAC I am fine. lol

Some people can not drink any and safely carry a Gun. Alaska has a problem with that, alcohol is outlawed in a lot of areas. Itstjs don't carry a Gun, get the LEO to test you with 2 drinks, YOU WILL FAIL.

I called a news channel a while back (have no memory which one,i think it was Fox) after this came up.That was exactly my point.Why not just put a limit on 2 drinks? Of course,everyone has different tolerances,but there has to some kind of a standard.

In PA...there are no restrictions. Can carry into any serving restaurant or bar. Can drink anything we desire.

We don't have a bunch of drunks shooting each other up.

It's a matter of personal responsibility....not nanny-state. :no:

Why does there have to be a standard? Why not personal responsibility. Unfortunately in CO we can not consume while carrying. I lived in IN for two years and there were no restrictions.

Is it a good idea to go to a bar with a gun and get plastered? Probably not, but I don't need a law to tell me that.

Remember the last time they tried Prohibition? Of course people now days are more likely to let it happen, they don't have the grit to take on the government. The gun laws are a good example of what the people will put up with.

In Texas we have 51% signs, if an establishment derives more than 51% of it's funds from Booze, you cannot carry concealed. I do not drink booze when carrying period, that is my choice, I also agree with the post about driving after leaving bar, wonder what the bar/resturant owners would say to a law allowing only 2 drinks to be served to patrons, the bar owner has a probem with guns but none with driving, seem the 2 drink rule would fly (yea right) loss of income. Why not post concealed carry welcome like a local bank here and increase your business.

Why does there have to be a standard? Why not personal responsibility. Unfortunately in CO we can not consume while carrying. I lived in IN for two years and there were no restrictions.

Is it a good idea to go to a bar with a gun and get plastered? Probably not, but I don't need a law to tell me that.

And many others - including myself - don’t either. I imagine you don’t need a law to be told to not to drive impaired. Personal responsibility would be great, but much in the same way we have MV laws including DUI, for those that fail at the personal responsibility of operating a motor vehicle, should we expect the same from those carrying a firearm? Don’t answer yet. I am going to get back to this.

In Florida, like detailed above in Texas, I cannot carry in an establishment whose primary revenue is alcohol. I don’t go to stupid places - carrying or not - and to me, clubs are a stupid place, but I can’t simply sit at the bar in a restaurant either. What I can do is sit in the restaurant portion and get plastered while carrying and break no law in Florida.

So, consistent with the OP, while it is ludicrous to allow those to drive and drink within a specific BAL and not allow those who carry and drink within a specific BAL, do you support laws that restricts carrying within a specific BAL? Also, would you support Florida’s law of being able to carry while intoxicated?

Editor:

re: “I’m concerned about my liability if someone comes in, has a glass of wine, and then goes out and shoots someone, so I’m going to post a sign that says ‘No guns allowed’”.

This is why voter eligibility should require more than a pulse and body temperature above 90.

state of Michigan, your BAC cannot be more than like .016 or something of the sort. I asked if I was allowed to drink and carry, the LEO said yes, but its best to leave the weapon in the car, and as long as I dont exceed the BAC I am fine. lol

One can peg that with mouthwash as they head out the door to work. You probably mean .10 or maybe .08 whatever the DUI limit is

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back