New and looking for entry level handgun.

BubbaGee

Hello,

I'm new to handguns and only limited experience with long guns, 22 rifle target shooting. With the way things are in the country now I think it is time I look into a target/home defense handgun. I'm planning on getting training before my purchase but was wonder if I could get some real world opinions on what would be a good first time handgun. There are ranges near my house so that is where my practicing will occur. In case knowing a little about me is important, I'm in my mid 40's, strong, good hand/eye coordination, and a stickler for perfection. I understand the adage, you get what you pay for, but I also want to keep my first handgun purchase reasonably priced.

Thanks,
George

I like CZ's myself, but that's me. You'll have to get out and try some to see what you like best. But if you're looking for a home defense weapon, why not a shotgun?

I tell people guns are like ladies bags you can buy one at Walmart or you can buy one for thousands at Louis Vuitton, they will both carry your stuff it becomes a matter of style and fit at a certain point. go to your gun store and range and see what's in your price range and fits your hand properly

Go to a range that rents handguns and try different styles, types and calibers. No one can tell you what is right for you better than yourself after trying different guns. Think of it as a car you test drive different ones before settling on the one you like best that fits you the best.

If your firearm is only for home defence I secound the shotgun, if you are looking to carry a handgun I think you should try as many as you can before you buy. I would try the ruger SP101 and GP100, Smith & Wesson 686,Glock 19, Colt 1911 commander and any other handgun that you like. Once you start trying different hand guns you may find that you like more than one, thats when the fun begins. Good luck and be safe.

Guys,
Thanks for the information. Once I get my training I'll do just that and try out a few handguns before I buy.

Bubba

Guys,
Thanks for the information. Once I get my training I'll do just that and try out a few handguns before I buy.

Bubba

Sounds like your thinking right, shoot as many as you can before you buy, that said in your situation I would go with a Glock 19

+1 to shooting and trying.

I love Bersa. It's an often underrated brand. They've got every popular caliber, are very accurate and pretty stinking reliable for the price. You can get a .380 or a 9mm from them for under $400 and even a .45ACP for not much more.

If it's primary purpose is carry I recommend Ruger SR40C/SR9C. They run about $400.00 NIB they have a short magazine 9/10 & an extended magazine 15/17. I would also recommend the M& P Shield in 9mm or .40S&W.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I suggest a gun show to be able to handle a wide variety of guns and see what feels good to you.

Don't overlook a double action only revolver. They're great for beginning hooters.

I'd say there's no such thing as an "entry level" handgun, as which gun you like is very personal. Everyone is far too different. Some people want to start on a .22, and then there's someone like me who went out and bought a .357 magnum for my first gun, and I loved it. I'd have been pretty upset if someone tried to push me to get something smaller first. So yeah... try stuff! Search the forums, find what people liked/didn't like about particular guns, but don't take that as gospel... you might love something most people detest. It is nice to find out about any reliability issues in a forum like this, though.

I just started learning to shoot several months ago, I have been taking as many classes as I can find and I have been going to the range often. I now have a Glock 19 and a Ruger LC9. The Glock is my favorite

Suzy Que

I'd say there's no such thing as an "entry level" handgun, as which gun you like is very personal. Everyone is far too different. Some people want to start on a .22, and then there's someone like me who went out and bought a .357 magnum for my first gun, and I loved it. I'd have been pretty upset if someone tried to push me to get something smaller first. So yeah... try stuff! Search the forums, find what people liked/didn't like about particular guns, but don't take that as gospel... you might love something most people detest. It is nice to find out about any reliability issues in a forum like this, though.

Kinda like motorcycles I guess. There's a lot of "internet wisdom" out there that tells everyone they need to start out on these little 125 and 250cc motorcycles. So you get some burly 6'4" dude on a little 250 he can barely handle because it's so small and he thinks he has to ride that stupid thing and then move on to like a 750. When in reality, a nice 1200 or even 1500cc V-Twin would've been just fine for him to start out on.

Hard and fast rules are rarely any good.

Thanks for all the info guys. I set aside some time the other day and stopped at a gun shop. The owner went over general gun safety and let me handle quite a few guns to see what felt right to me. If anyone is in or around Merrirmack, NH, I recommend Merrimack Firearms. They were very friendly and patient with me even though they new I wasn't planning on purchasing when I was there. When it comes time to make my purchase they will be the shop I go to.

Bubba

The only thing I will recommend is be sure to get a big gun for your first one or one you can give a full sized grip with extensions. (think XD or XDm compacts, Ruger SR compacts, S&W compacts, i am sure there are others those just spring to mind) The subcompact pistol are the thing to get I know but they are just awful to learn on due to their low weight and smaller sight radius .

The idea of an entry level handgun, in my experience, a bad idea. In my case, I knew I would be carrying it from the start or at least as soon as I could get a CHL. I had a stalker that said openly that he was going to find and kill me, so I was very serious about this from day one.

If you buy a quality weapon from the start, your experience will be much better and you won't be handicapping yourself with a rough crude weapon. I wasted quite a bit of money on recommendations from people that told me that a particular gun was well suited to my needs or purpose. If you buy a quality handgun and for some reason decide it's not for you, then you will have an easier time reselling it than you will a brand x.

I purchased a .38 revolver 1st and a ruger Sr 22 for semi auto training then the glock 27 and glock 23 but if you are not familiar with handguns revolver I suggest then the semi .38 or .357 wither .357 can shoot the .38 caliber good stuff and good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

+1 to shooting and trying.

I love Bersa. It's an often underrated brand. They've got every popular caliber, are very accurate and pretty stinking reliable for the price. You can get a .380 or a 9mm from them for under $400 and even a .45ACP for not much more.

Cluznar?! Is that you?! By Jove I thought we lost you!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

if you are not familiar with handguns revolver I suggest then the semi .38 or .357 wither .357 can shoot the .38 caliber good stuff and good luck

"Semi" .38/.357 caliber?
Do you mean .38 super and or .357 Sig?
Those are the only semi auto cartridges that come to mind.
(Yes, I know about Desert Eagle and Coonan Arms .357 semi handguns).

"Semi" .38/.357 caliber?
Do you mean .38 super and or .357 Sig?
Those are the only semi auto cartridges that come to mind.
(Yes, I know about Desert Eagle and Coonan Arms .357 semi handguns).

I meant after he gets a custom to shooting and handling to the revolver then go with a semi like the Ruger SR22 to start off a day then move on

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back