New 9mm....Glock or Springfield Xd??

johioss

I'm wanting to add a 9mm to the "family" and wanted anyone's opinion on their favorite 9mm. The two I'm considering most would be the Glock 19 or a Springfield XD although I'm open to other suggestions. Any thoughts?
Oh I should add, it will be mostly for taking to the range and not necessarily CCW. Thanks!

Both the Glock and the XD are excellent pistols. I'm partial to the XD, but you will find lots of fans on both sides. Most of the ranges that I've seen with rental guns will have several Glocks that you can try and probably the XD and S&W M&P also. One more to consider is the new Ruger SR9.

Deciding which one to buy is half the fun. Enjoy.

If it was me I'd go with the XD but that's just because it fits my hand better. The Smith & Wesson M&P's are nice also. May want to take a look at them. One other idea, I just picked up a Sig P225/P6 from Aimsurplus.com for $269. It was a European police trade in but was in amazing shape. I reblued the slide and it looks like a new gun. It makes a great range gun that, if I need to, I can also carry. If you have someone to do the transfer that may be something to consider.

I have a Glock 19 and it is a fine gun. Wish I could help with the Springfield but have never shot one. It sees to have a pretty loyal following though.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with eather the Glock or the XD,,,,,,,,,,,, I carry a G19 every day, I own several Glocks,, and I am partial to the Glock, thats just me though, go try them out, see which you like the best, and which one fits you the best,...............The M&P is also nice too............

I have several Glocks and love them. Dad calls me a "Glock Freak".

I also have an XD9 and it is the only 9mm I own.

When I purchased my XD9 there were very few "accessories" available for it. Now there are a plethora of barrels, etc. available.

I really like my XD9. It feels good in the hand & shoots well (better than I do).

One consideration for me is that I can shoot my Glocks and not worry about cleaning them immediately. Sometimes I wait for weeks before cleaning them.

The XD on the other hand I am much more careful with. If I shoot it I clean it that evening. Again, I love my XD but have seen too many pictures of rusty slides, etc.

I will not sell my XD, but I do feel compelled to clean it immediately after a day at the range.

I'm sure I'll be flamed for posting this, but it is only based on my OPINION.

BTW, my dad shoots a Kimber 9mm and it is truly an outstanding weapon!

Al

9mm

I had asked my local gun store to inform me if they were to get in a G26. A couple months ago they did, so I went in to buy it and ended up walking out with a S&W M&P 9mm Compact. It's a really sweet gun! Worth checking out. I have a couple of Glocks- G30 and a G22. Can't beat Glocks for their to hell and back reliability. I just liked the new M&P over the G26. Good luck!

Surfcc

both have good reputations. I don't own a glock yet but if I was choosing between a glock or an xd I think I would go for the glock.. I am really considering buying a glock because they just keep going... durable and reliable as hell. this coming from a person who said they would never own a glock just because everyone has a glock already... but I guess there's a reason for it.. the more I read or more videos I see of putting 500 rounds or so through a fully automatic glock in like a minute... can really be seen that you can beat the crap out of it and not even have to guess if it will still work or not..

I have an XD 40 service. My wife has an XD9 subcompact. We are really fond of both of them. The Glocks do not fit my hand well, so I prefer the XD. Just me though. My ultimate 9mm is my new Sig P250. Shoots great and fits my hand really well. I don't know if you could find one, my gun store told me they tried to replace the one I bought and could not get another one now. It does cost a little more, but not bad for a Sig. MSRP is $699. I of course, think the XD or Glock would make you smile :D

Sig

I have an XD 40 service. My wife has an XD9 subcompact. We are really fond of both of them. The Glocks do not fit my hand well, so I prefer the XD. Just me though. My ultimate 9mm is my new Sig P250. Shoots great and fits my hand really well. I don't know if you could find one, my gun store told me they tried to replace the one I bought and could not get another one now. It does cost a little more, but not bad for a Sig. MSRP is $699. I of course, think the XD or Glock would make you smile :D

I am jealous of you and that Sig. I know what the Bible says about coveting so I will have to be careful but I do think that would be a great addition to my collection.

I am jealous of you and that Sig. I know what the Bible says about coveting so I will have to be careful but I do think that would be a great addition to my collection.

LOL. Sorry HK I didn't mean to point out how wonderful my Sig is and how you probably won't be able to find one now and how it's because of you bringing it up that I bought one. I didn't mean to make you jealous.

Sig

LOL. Sorry HK I didn't mean to point out how wonderful my Sig is and how you probably won't be able to find one now and how it's because of you bringing it up that I bought one. I didn't mean to make you jealous.

That's o.k. I am sure that by the time I can fit into my budget there will be more available.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Great input. I think I'm leaning towards a Glock. Everyone I know that has one, loves it and goes on and on about it. I think I'll rent it at the range and see how I like it.

Another thought if I may?

You could purchase a Glock model 33 in .357 Sig caliber. I did.

Then you can purchase a 9mm barrel & a couple clips and you have a 9mm. The model 33 will also handle the barrel for a 40 S&W. I did not buy one because I own a model 27 Glock in 40 S&W.

I enjoy shooting the .357 but I tell my dad that at the current price of ammo all I can afford is to take the shells out of the box, clean them & put them back in the safe! haha.

Not sure which other models support this option, but there may be several.

Al

I'm wanting to add a 9mm to the "family" and wanted anyone's opinion on their favorite 9mm. The two I'm considering most would be the Glock 19 or a Springfield XD although I'm open to other suggestions. Any thoughts?
Oh I should add, it will be mostly for taking to the range and not necessarily CCW. Thanks!

I am also looking at Glocks though in 40 cal the Glock 27. One thing I learned is that Glock will give you a 100$ discount if you are LEO or Military I have even heard them giving this discount to retired military and LEO's.

I have not been able to confirm this yet but it makes the decision easier for me. I have read too many stories about how ULTRA reliable they are and super accurate to boot.

I won't say my mind is made up but I am going to shoot a Glock and a XD and a S&W MP 40 compact and compare them all.

Super reliability and accuracy are HUGE things to me. Plus I am a tight wad so if I can get 100$ off you know it is going to be damn hard to beat a Glock.

I have two G19's and one XD 45acp.

IMHO the XD is a better gun. But I agree with the majority of posters that state to shoot both and decide what is best for you.

Ford or Chevy

They are both great guns! If you get a Glock go with the Gen4 totally worth it and the Springfield XDm is awesome, my choice. I can't wait to get me a XDm compact that just came out!
Go to a shop or even better a range and at least handle them both and then make your decision. If you can shoot them at a rental range even better. I would get whichever you are more comfortable with.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back