New 1911

32autoD

I just got the 1911 bug. I bought a Kimber Ultra Compact II and love it. Looking for a quality 1911 somewhere in size between the Ultra Compact and Full size. Suggestions please.

cmhbob:214039 said:
My EDC is a Pro Carry. Basically a Commander-sized gun. 4.5 inch barrel and 8+1 capacity.

I had a Stainless Pro Carry II. Mine had a 4" barrel, full grip, alloy frame and shot like a dream. Light and easily concealed. Loved it. Only traded it because I got a good deal on a 2 for 1 swap on a couple of others I had my eye on. Now I split my EDC duties between my HK Comp and my Kimber TLE 5".

Once the "1911 Bug" bites, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you'll need a bigger gun safe.:laugh:

I had a Stainless Pro Carry II. Mine had a 4" barrel, full grip, alloy frame and shot like a dream. Light and easily concealed. Loved it. Only traded it because I got a good deal on a 2 for 1 swap on a couple of others I had my eye on. Now I split my EDC duties between my HK Comp and my Kimber TLE 5".

Alloy frame? For you non-technical members, an alloy is a solid solution, or alloy, of different metals. You'll find that every metal part of a firearm is an alloy. Some people use the term "alloy" to mean aluminum alloy, but the steel parts of a firearm, including stainless steel, are also alloys. If a metal is NOT an alloy, then it is a pure metallic element...pure iron, pure aluminum, pure copper, etc. Brass is also an alloy....of copper, tin, and zinc.

CharlieK:214405 said:

Alloy frame? For you non-technical members, an alloy is a solid solution, or alloy, of different metals. You'll find that every metal part of a firearm is an alloy. Some people use the term "alloy" to mean aluminum alloy, but the steel parts of a firearm, including stainless steel, are also alloys. If a metal is NOT an alloy, then it is a pure metallic element...pure iron, pure aluminum, pure copper, etc. Brass is also an alloy....of copper, tin, and zinc.

For you non-symantic members, my Pro Carry had an aluminum frame. Not that the fate of all life on earth really depended on that particular piece of information. Though to "some people" I guess its more important than I figured on.

32autoD,

SUCKER!!! Barnum got it right, there's a sucker born every minute. Once you are able to decide, enjoy that pistol. The 1911 often tends to multiply and others will follow you home in the future.

Now that you have the bug it's going to require you to self-educate. There's arguments on both sides when it comes to barrel length of the 1911. Browning built the platform to be a 5 inch or 6 inch pistol. It's been my experience that the 5 inch performs better at any level over the shorter pistols. The shorter 1911's seem to require a lot more "tuning" to get them to perform on as wide a variety of ammo as the 5 inch does.

To argue on the other side of that coin, the 5 inch can be picky on hollow points more than the shorter 1911's seem to be. Some of that is due to more modern versions having a ramped barrel and widened throat where the original 1911 design has a restricted throat and uses the inside top edge of the magazine well as a ramp.

If you can locate someone that has the 5 inch as well as the shorter 1911 it would be wise to shoot them before you decide. Kimber makes great products and I've only had experience with the 4 inch 1911's they make and only as an instructor. I've owned Springfield and Colt 1911's personally thus why I posted what's above.

Have Glocks a Ruger and several Taurus's we got our first 1911 yesterday, a Springfield stainless mil spec 1911 A1, we have shot a 1911 very little about two weeks ago, a well used Kimber, did well with it, so I thought when a deal comes along I may get something, at one of our local gun shops yesterday, I spied this pistol, and that was all she wrote, wife and I both shot it like pros, much better groups than with the Glocks especialy at any distance, very little recoil, if it wasn't so heavy it would be my new carry gun, I'l tote it for a couple of days, then probably go back to the G-27, the gun shop gave us two box's of ammo with the deal and I had some of my owm with us in total we put near 300 rds thru it without so much as a baby fart out of it

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back