Nevada's Recognition of Other State's Permits

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
From Nevada Carry:

I've been looking for a list of other states and it's nowhere to be seen, so I wrote them:

You requested information regarding a list of State’s Nevada will recognize for carry concealed weapons (CCW) permits.

Currently, Nevada will not recognize out of state CCW permits.

You referenced Senate Bill 237 that was passed July 1st.

You are correct that Senate Bill 237 was passed July 1, 2007. However the Department of Public Safety has until October 1, 2007 to compile the list of State’s and that list will be reviewed annually on July 1st thereafter. As stated in this legislation, “the Department of Public Safety shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public”.

Thank you for your interest in this legislative process and if you have any further questions, please continue to address them through out website.

Thank-you.
Diane McCord
Administrative Services Officer I

Great information Daniel, thanks.

Re: Nevada's Recognition of Other State's Permits
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 01:39:30 PM » Reply with quote Modify message Remove message Split Topic
Well, her actual site answered too, but it's weird Huh

Dear Sir,

I want to thank you for your recent inquiry regarding
laws for carrying firearms in Nevada. Please be advised that this
office represents the State of Nevada and is prohibited by law from
giving legal advice or representation to private citizens, and if you
have any further questions regarding Nevada law, you should inquire of
an attorney licensed to practice in this state.

The pertinent section of Nevada law, the Nevada Revised
Statutes (NRS) regarding [UTF-8?]“weapons” is NRS 202.253 through NRS 202.440.
If you wish to view the statutes online please refer to the State of
Nevada Legislatures website at
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653. In
particular, please see NRS 202.3657(1) which states:

"Any person who is a resident of this State may apply
to the sheriff of the county in which he resides for a permit on a
form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Any person who is not a
resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of any county in this
State for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department.
Application forms for permits must be furnished by the sheriff of each
county upon request. "

Please be further advised that this is not an
exhaustive list of all the law concerning the carrying, use, possession
and sale of firearms in Nevada. Other laws may be applicable.

I hope this information will assist you. If you
have additional questions, you may also contact the Nevada Highway
Patrol (Carson City: 775/687-5300) or the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police
Department at 702-828-3996, or their website
Link Removed , which provides
information regarding concealed weapon permits and their policy on how
to obtain the permit. If I have failed to list the county you intend on
visiting, please consult that County's Sheriffs Department website in
order to obtain their procedures for obtaining the permit.

Sincere regards,

CATHERINE CORTEZ MASTO
Attorney General

By: Katie Osborn
Constituent Response Unit

>>> WEBMASTER 07/12/07 10:05 AM >>>

--

Webmaster
Nevada Attorney General

So I guess we're still waiting to see a reciprocity list?

It looks like we are waiting until Oct. 1.

Hey Daniel,

Where did you find that contact that you got the information from? I have a couple of questions I need to ask them as well. Thanks.

Luke

Couple months ago I was cleaning my 45, and happened to notice that the top 2 rounds in my magazine were a good 1/8 th inch shorter than all the rest.
I guess due to loading and unloading. Could have been a bad day if I'd tried to fire them.

WWB JHP

Pistol stays cocked and locked almost all the time now to avoid rechambering any round if I don't have to.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Couple months ago I was cleaning my 45, and happened to notice that the top 2 rounds in my magazine were a good 1/8 th inch shorter than all the rest.
I guess due to loading and unloading. Could have been a bad day if I'd tried to fire them.

WWB JHP

Pistol stays cocked and locked almost all the time now to avoid rechambering any round if I don't have to.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
And you posted that here because...????

I am from OK and we recognize NV CC license but NV doesn't recognize ours. Anybody know the procedure to have full reciprocity instituted between us?

I am from OK and we recognize NV CC license but NV doesn't recognize ours. Anybody know the procedure to have full reciprocity instituted between us?
"Procedure"? You're kidding, right?
You have to understand that the Nevada Assembly only meets every two years and is largely made up of total idiots when anything related to firearms is brought up.
Nevada is a great place to live, but in general it "does not play well with others".

Yep. First you figure out which part of the Nevada Concealed Carry Permit requirements Oklahoma is not meeting. Then you petition the Oklahoma legislature to change Oklahoma's CCL requirements to meet Nevada's requirements. Once the law in Oklahoma is changed to meet Nevada's requirements, then you notify the Nevada Department of Public Safety of the change in Oklahoma's law and obtain the Nevada Sherrif's and Chief's Association concurrence to recognize the Oklahoma CCL. That's it, simple as that.

Or, you can petition the Nevada legislature to change Nevada's state law to allow recognition of the Oklahoma CCL.

While you are waiting for the Nevada or Oklahoma legislature to change their laws, you can open carry in Nevada without a permit required, or do what it takes to qualify and apply for a Nevada non-resident permit.

I'm done with NV. I've had AZ for many years. Back when NV didn't accept AZ, I got a UT, which they accepted back then. Within 6 months of getting my UT the sheriff's group decided to stop accepting UT. Some time later they started accepting AZ again but still not UT but I was okay since I had AZ. Now they've stopped accepting AZ and UT both. I'll be danged if I chase them all over the country or go to NV and spend what it costs over there to get an NV non resident. I have an easier solution...stay out of NV since I have no real pressing reason to go there.

So as I said in the beginning, I am done with NV. Their process for deciding which permits to accept appears too subject to whim of the sheriffs group. Who knows which states will be added and removed next time the sheriffs meet. Not worth the hassle for me.

You solved your own problem.

I'm sure Nevada will be heartbroken that you've decided to never set foot there ever again.

It is amazing what loss of funds do to government agencies, quit spending your money where you are not welcome.

Take a little vacation to Las Vegas, but spend either 3 or 5 days at Front Sight Firearm Training Courses - Handgun ( Glock, etc.), Shotgun, Rifle, (Sub) Machine Gun - from FrontSight.com You'll have a lot of fun, learn a lot, and get the required training for a Nevada permit. (Don't let the prices on the web page scare you. The can be had for a fraction of the cost. PM me for more info, if you're interested.)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back