Nevada CCW application wait time

Applied on June 27 and mine came in today. Tennessee seems to be getting quicker

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using USA Carry mobile app

Passing Purchase Background Check and Passing Concealed Carry Check

It takes about six weeks to obtain a permit. I'd guess, if you are going to be "denied", they would catch the reason in the background check a bit earlier.

The Vegas office that processes your fingerprints, etc. is very efficient...they're not the hold-up.

Quite frankly, if you've passed the background check during a firearm purchase, there should be no problem with the permit investigation...IMHO.

Not necessarily. The purchase check is a computer search for your name, birth date and SSAN. The CCW check, in every state I know of, is an actual fingerprint check. There are records that can be found in a print check that are not in the computer data base. This is why they run the prints for CCWs. When the FBI automated things, some things were not put into the computer run NCIS. Mainly, misdemeanors before a certain date, I think it was sometime in the '80s, might even have been the early '90s, were not originally included. There were just too many of them, and someone decided they were not worth the effort at that time. This was at a time before misdemeanors of certain types, such as domestic violence, had much, if any, effect on anything. Such records WILL turn up with a print check. I believe that they are all in the computers now, but there is still a chance that something that doesn't show on the computer could show up on a print check.

Another complication, with both purchase and CCW applications, is that the requirement for having a gun is no conviction for any crime which had a maximum possible sentence of more than a year in jail. The problem here is that there are some states in which certain crimes classified as a misdemeanor DO have a maximum sentence of more than a year and while conviction records will specify the kind of offense, misdemeanor or felony and what degree, they do not specify maximum possible sentence. So if a check for either a purchase or a CCW turns up a Class A misdemeanor in another state, the state where you are applying often does not know if it was a "traditional" misdemeanor, maximum sentence a year or less, or one of those misdemeanors which can result in over a year of incarceration. This will delay everything while the state of application contacts the state where the offense occurred to find out the max sentence. Unfortunately, a lot of states do not bother to reply to such requests. Utah has a policy where they will allow the purchase or issue the CCW after some specific period of time has gone by without a response in such cases, but I don't know if all states do that. I went through this some years back when I tried to pick up a rifle I'd bought online, and my background check was put into "research" because of a 1971 conviction for trespassing, delaying things quite a while.

If you have a Class A misdemeanor somewhere in your past, and it was the traditional no more than a year in jail maximum possible sentence kind, you could run into this. There is a solution, though. Because of this problem, the FBI created a Personal Identification Number system. If you request it, they will first decide if you qualify. It seems qualifying means that you have some misdemeanor record which does not disqualify you from having firearms, but which does not clearly show that you aren't disqualified. They will then create a special, restricted access, file containing information showing that your misdemeanor does not disqualify you. They will assign it a PIN number, and you can give that PIN number on your application to purchase or your application for a CCW. The PIN file will prevent a misdemeanor from delaying your application, and NOBODY can access that file without the PIN number.

As for Clark County CCW apps, they now have a several month backlog. It seems like lots more people have been applying in the past couple years than used to be normal. Whatever county Reno is in has the same problem. If you want a Nevada CCW, applying in some different county is a good idea if that is a realistic option for you. Another thing about Clark county is that they, unlike other Nevada counties, register your guns. Depending on how you feel about that, this might be another reason to apply elsewhere even if it is inconvenient.

I applied on 2 July 2013 and received mine today 1 Oct 2013. So right around 90 days. Couldn't be happier right now.

Applied on September 2, 2013.
Received October 1, 2013.
Issue Date: September 3, 2013.
Carson County.
Total wait time: 30 days.

The Carson City Sheriff's Office was very helpful, and even called to provide the option of picking it up in person or having it mailed.

Applied Sept 15, 2013 at Nye County sheriff station. Received it in the mail on Oct 2nd. 15 days!

just curious...

gonna take a CCW class in town in vegas. Once I complete the training where would be the best or quickest county to turn the app into??? I'm also applying for a non-resident ccw if that makes a difference. I was thinking about vegas metro PD since it's local to the training facility I'll be at, but Nye County sounds fast

I have no way to compare the two, but the 15 days was surprisingly fast! I'd probably make the drive to Nye.

One other thing about them: they do a lot of ccw's because of Front Sight. So maybe their more staffed for it? Just a guess though.

QUOTE=damilfman;477817]just curious...

gonna take a CCW class in town in vegas. Once I complete the training where would be the best or quickest county to turn the app into??? I'm also applying for a non-resident ccw if that makes a difference. I was thinking about vegas metro PD since it's local to the training facility I'll be at, but Nye County sounds fast[/QUOTE]

Today, Nov 7, 2013, I was told by a "clerk" at Las Vegas Metro that it is taking 120 days to get the permit. That is not good because you cannot apply for a renewal until 120 days before the expiration of your old permit. It is therefore likely that there will be a gap. And during any such gap, you are NOT legally allowed to carry concealed on your expired permit.

I applied in Nye County on 10/27 - received it in the mail today, 14 days! Of course, thanks to Front Sight, my paperwork was squared away with all my ducks in a row.

It took me 2 weeks from submitting my paperwork to receiving my CCW license in Elko County. It took about 60 days to get my non-resident Utah CCW license.

NVBB

I applied for a renewal with Metro (Clark Co/Vegas) on November 7.

Exactly three months later, on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, my renewed CCW was postmarked. That was 92 days after the application was filed.

It was issued on Jan 31. I received it in the mail on Mon, Feb 10.

I am in Henderson nv, lv metro....put my application in march 20 and still have not heard anything....I have a fbi security clearance too boot and
has been 87 days how...go figure

just curious...

gonna take a CCW class in town in vegas. Once I complete the training where would be the best or quickest county to turn the app into??? I'm also applying for a non-resident ccw if that makes a difference. I was thinking about vegas metro PD since it's local to the training facility I'll be at, but Nye County sounds fast

You have to apply in the county you train in. That is why Front Sight students have to drive North to apply in Nye and can't go South to Vegas on their way out of town.

Applied on Augest 28th 2014 and post marked CCW permit on Oct 10th in Washoe county. So six weeks or 29 working days not bad. It came quicker than I thoght it would.

Clark County. Applied July 3rd, issued October 16th, received October 22nd. My Utah permit came in 5 weeks. I doubt getting a new sheriff will make any difference, especially if we get Gilespe's hand picked candidate.

Clark County. Applied July 3rd, issued October 16th, received October 22nd. My Utah permit came in 5 weeks. I doubt getting a new sheriff will make any difference, especially if we get Gilespe's hand picked candidate.
I think there will be changes if Larry Burns gets elected. Both say they are against the blue card system but I think Lombardo is just paying lip service.

First post of 2015 and new member.. Hello

I turned in all paper work with fees to the finger print bureau on Cameron February 20, 2015. Clark County, 2 addresses in 10 years, no law problems, but was born in the Middle East but have been in the States since 1963

We'll see the wait time

I have a NR permit. Turned in my paperwork for renewal Sept 9. Got my permit Dec 20th.

My first application 5 years ago took 25 days.

times have changed I guess.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back