nervous!

marijke81

I'm taking my ccw class next week and I'm very excited but kind of nervous to be able to finally carry my gun. I feel like I'm gonna give myself away by acting twitchy.

I'm taking my ccw class next week and I'm very excited but kind of nervous to be able to finally carry my gun. I feel like I'm gonna give myself away by acting twitchy.

Not to worry...it will be OK once you got the instructions going and off to the fields you go...it can be overwhelming for the first time but you will be fine, believe me. 'Been there, done that....

Just relax, you'll be fine. Almost everyone is kind of nervous the first time they carry. Its natural for you to feel like you're doing something wrong because of the way people act towards guns these days. The biggest thing is to stay calm, don't play with your holster or gun while out in public (don't play with gun at all), and try not to even pay attention to the fact that you're carrying. Don't worry about looking fidgety, as if you worry about that to much, you will be fidgety.

For the first week if you really feel like you'll be that nervous, don't have a round chambered. I even know of two guys who carried the first week with no mag just to get used to carrying and get over the first time jitters.

Starting off by carrying at home and while going to local stores for short shopping trips is also another way to help you out if need be. But most of all, you have everyone here that will be your support if need be. Most of us have been in the new to carrying shoes, so we all have been through many different levels of comfort and nervousness in our early days.

Congrats on going for your permit, and stay safe.

Don't let your hands give you away. Constantly touching readjusting is the big TELL. And like Buck said carry around the house until you are comfortable. It won't be long before you feel twitchy without it! CONGRATS

I agree with Buck and Retired Grunt. I think everyone goes through this. I carry every time I leave to go out in public but, of course not at work. I carried it for two weeks without any cartridges in it. I too was nervous, I still don't carry with one in the chamber but, do carry a loaded clip and of course on safety. It is in a holster below my armpit and the wife will ask. Are you packing? So if she can't tell I know most everyone else won't know, and if I need any adjustment to my holster I go into a restroom stall. Relax and stay safe!!

I remember how nervous i was before my class. I refused to touch my glock while loaded before I took the class. After my class, my confidence grew and i decided i would carry at home loaded but nothing in the tube until my cpl came in the mail. Now after several trips to the range, i carry at home fully loaded and one in the chamber. Im still waiting for my cpl to come, but i have alot more confidence now...like everyone else said, practice carrying at home first. You will be fine.

You don't say what state you are from. Disassemble, re-assemble, and shoot your gun to get familiar with it. Then if your state allows it (43 do) open carry it with pride. I only CC when weather dictates. I do not let how I dress for weather or activity dictate how I carry.

Also people need to stop using the term "CCW" in most states that is a term used for illegal concealed carry. In WA it is "Concealed Pistol License CPL".

Locked and loaded one in the chamber.

Also people need to stop using the term "CCW" in most states that is a term used for illegal concealed carry. In WA it is "Concealed Pistol License CPL".

And in some states, such as Missouri, it is PROPERLY referred to as a CCW:
Link Removed
Concealed Carry Weapon Endorsement

So I see no reason why people "need to stop using the term 'CCW'" when it IS the proper term. My Permit says CCW, should I tell the state to stop using the term? LOL!

To the OP, carry all the time at home till it feels funny not carrying. Gets you over the "is it still there" fretting :)

Don't forget to make yourself as comfortable as possible. I was nervous the first time but soon forgot about it because it didn't even feel like it was there. You'd be surprised how much running daily errands will take your mind off of things.

Tennessee its called HCP (Handgun Carry Permit) and we can OC and CC.
Most HCP instructors recommend CC because most people freak out seeing a weapon if you're not a LEO.

Personally, before I started carrying, I enjoyed seeing people OC cause I wanted to see what they carried.
It helped me decide what I wanted to carry.

I have been around guns a long time, but when I started carrying Glocks I would not chamber a round. Now I wouldn't go without a round chambered. My next concern was exposing the firearm. I got over that too.
Build proficiency, build experience, and confidence will soon follow.

Yep- I remember the first time I carried in public in a restaurant... I thought EVERYONE knew I was carrying and that they were watching me!! Paranoid much?!?! :fie:
I use a SmartCarry and NOBODY knows I'm packing.

Now, after a while you'll forget you've even got it with you (until you need it).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back