Need some help.

harleyhunter

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I'm sure people asked this question thousands of times, but there is so much info out there not sure what to believe. I live in Rockland county, NY and currently have a sportsman/residence pistol permit. I was issued it in July of '09. I would like to get my CCW here in Rockland and would like to know how to go about it.

I keep hearing the same old antics from ignorant locals.
"You can only get a ccw if you do banking for a company and handle $10,000 or more and have been robbed before with police reports to prove it, or you work for a gun shop and have to protect the merchandise."
That just seems a little far fetched for me. I know Rockland is difficult but that just does not even sound right. I called the pistol clerk today and she told me I need to write a letter to the judge asking him and explaining why I would like my CCW. She was nasty and very cold to me. She told me unless I was LEO or a retired LEO there is no way the judge will grant me one just cause thats the way he is. I asked her what was the legal requirements for a ccw so I can get them in order and she said as long as you have a sportsman/resident permit (which I do) nothing else is required. I do wanna get a better understanding of the local laws and get some official NRA training under my belt to have a better chance with the judge.

Any and all info & advice would be great. Thanks for your help.

-Sam

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I'm sure people asked this question thousands of times, but there is so much info out there not sure what to believe. I live in Rockland county, NY and currently have a sportsman/residence pistol permit. I was issued it in July of '09. I would like to get my CCW here in Rockland and would like to know how to go about it.

I keep hearing the same old antics from ignorant locals.
"You can only get a ccw if you do banking for a company and handle $10,000 or more and have been robbed before with police reports to prove it, or you work for a gun shop and have to protect the merchandise."
That just seems a little far fetched for me. I know Rockland is difficult but that just does not even sound right. I called the pistol clerk today and she told me I need to write a letter to the judge asking him and explaining why I would like my CCW. She was nasty and very cold to me. She told me unless I was LEO or a retired LEO there is no way the judge will grant me one just cause thats the way he is. I asked her what was the legal requirements for a ccw so I can get them in order and she said as long as you have a sportsman/resident permit (which I do) nothing else is required. I do wanna get a better understanding of the local laws and get some official NRA training under my belt to have a better chance with the judge.

Any and all info & advice would be great. Thanks for your help.

-Sam

Just a thought -- might you consider posting this in the NY forum as well?
Usacarry.com New York Discussion and Firearm News

Sorry I cant help you with NY I just dont like that state and never plan on going there (knock knock, watch me get order tomorrow.) The best thing you can do is get out of NY and move to vermont or south to a Shall issue state :sarcastic: . But Welcome to the threads.

Firearms laws in the State of New York are applied by the Counties. Each county makes a determination whether it will/
will not issue a Carry Concealed permit. Mostly, it depends on whether or not the sitting juge is agreeable. There are a number of counties where it is very difficult to get a restricted carry permit, let alone a full carry.

If you are interested in getting some training, I would suggest taking an NRA Basic Pistol course. If you want to take it further, there are several companies that offer upgrade courses. Do a search on line for 'concealed carry upgrade class'. I took mine from Rochester Personal Defense. I turned a copy of my certificate of completion in with a letter to the sitting judge and had no difficulty getting a full carry. Of course, I don't live in Rockland County, and the judge in the county where I live is favorable toward issuance after many, many years of sitting judges who wouldn't think of being favorable. Do your 'homework' first, then apply. By taking courses directed toward full-carry training, you are showing the 'powers that be' that you are safety conscious and taking the matter seriously. When you submit your letter, don't say you want the permit because it is your 2nd Amendment right, or anything of that nature. It won 't fly. Also make sure you look at the credentials of the people providing the training. That could have some bearing on the outcome.
Good Luck.

Ain't it wonderful? Some jerk, because he wears a robe or sits in an elected position, can decide your safety and rights without even knowing you or giving you real consideration. It's OK if he gives a rapist 6 months or a gun totin' drug dealer 90 days for shooting at someone, then turns him loose on society, but he won't let you have a ccw permit unless you've been a cop or a celebrity. Just great! :angry:

I do own property in South Carolina. I am going to apply for my non-res. ccw there.

-Sam

Consider applying for a non-res in Florida too...I am not from Florida nor do I own any property there (not intending to...) but I got one from there and it took me 3 weeks from application.

:pleasantry:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back