need not want a 1911

marionandjohn

I recently fired my first 1911. It was an auto ordinance and it was great but I'm not ready to "settle" for the first one I shot. I was thinking my "ideal" 1911 would be a sa/da with a decocker instead of a thumb safety. The grip safety would be nice but so would adjustable sights. The price would be more of a factor than the sights or grip safety. I say I think it would be my ideal because I'm not sure of a sa/da trigger pull vs the pull that was on the AO. Any suggestions on brands or lines to start at that might match my wants would be greatly appreciated.

To my knowledge there is no such thing. I believe para make a da only. The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked. The single action trigger is nice.

Closest thing to the SA/DA 1911 would be the S&W 645/659 and later models. They don't carry cocked and locked like a 1911 as they do decock when you bring the safety to the safe position. Moving the lever to the fire position allows you to pull the trigger which then will cock the hammer and fire. Next shot will find it ready to fire as the hammer will already be back for firing.

I agree with towboater.

There are a number of pistols based on the 1911 that might make John Browning turn over in his grave, but they might fit your requirements. Below is my compact ParaOrd "1911" that is a fine carry weapon...albeit not a Glock.

I assume you intend to carry the piece and would advise against adjustable sights.

Great info. I will check out some of the options but I guess I will just have to get use to the thumb safety. I normally carry a xd 40 and yes I will be carrying the 1911 so I will reconsider the sights. Again this is what I thought would be ideal for me but in the end I really loved the trigger so maybe the sa/da isn't for me... appreciate the info and thoughts. Now just to figure out which one. Did I mention my wife doesn't care for my 40 but loved the 1911 so I might be in the market for a pair. :)

marionandjohn:302293 said:
Great info. I will check out some of the options but I guess I will just have to get use to the thumb safety. I normally carry a xd 40 and yes I will be carrying the 1911 so I will reconsider the sights. Again this is what I thought would be ideal for me but in the end I really loved the trigger so maybe the sa/da isn't for me... appreciate the info and thoughts. Now just to figure out which one. Did I mention my wife doesn't care for my 40 but loved the 1911 so I might be in the market for a pair. :)

I was going to ask what about the 1911 you liked? If its the trigger, like you mentioned, then going to a da/sa will take away the function you liked the most. IMO, a 1911 is a SAO, anything else is not a true 1911. Are you sure you want a 1911?

I loved the trigger and that's why I'm rethinking the da/sa. You asked if I'm sure I want a 1911. Is there any better 45? IMO the 1911 is the best 45. If that means I need to be use to a thumb activated safety than so be it I will practice my draw with it. The trigger was great but the overall feel of the gun was just completely natural and the more natural something is the better it is.

I went from the Springfield XD40 to a Kimber Night pro with Meprolight sights...what a huge difference, i wish i would have made the change long ago!

A Glock??? :haha: :biggrin:

Just waiting for the official release .........
adcg3a.jpg

shouldn't a glock 1911 be uglier?

I got a sig traditional carry in SS for $830. It has a lot of the features you'd seek in a higher end 1911 for a mid range price. Remington is making a nice 1911 for the money as well.

I carry a DAO 9mm and my sig 1911. Doing the cocked and locked thing scares some folks, but if you put the safties on and bang the pistol around a bit you will see that it is a safe way to carry. The thumb safety on the 1911 is real easy to flick off, barely requires a thought. The sig p220 is a nice .45 with a double action trigger, but 1911's are all class.

I have a S&W 915 that is DA..It is a 9m with 15 round clips....Great shooting weapon...It is heavy to carry.

It is my couch weapon....

When I was a teenager, I had the opportunity to shoot a lot of 1911's and swore I'd never own one because they seemed to be the least accurate pistols in my hands. Well over two decades later, I'm a 1911 nut. However, I'm not nuts over every 1911 as some manufacturers seemingly just want to produce one and jump on the bandwagon. Insist on a match grade barrel, and then decide what features you want. For example you might want night sights, ambi safety, a beveled mag well, and checkering on both the front strap and back strap. It's up to you but somebody makes a good 1911 with the features you want and then options for customization are endless. I don't know what your budget is but I personally believe Kimber offers the most value in a 1911 with custom features. There are better ones but the differences are so subtle that you almost have to have a really good one to appreciate a great one. I don't want to sound like a gun snob but many of us arrive at this point after acquiring a bunch of guns and spending way more money that what that one piece of "nirvana" would cost if we would have just sprung for it initially. But hey, every journey begins with the first step. Good luck on yours.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back