Need more training!

DHughes757

I really feel that there should be some additional training that is needed to obtain and renew your CCW license. I got my CCW and immediately began training. I started getting in range time, tactical training, and home practicing my draw and sight acquisition. I now feel more equipped and prepared. To have a CCW is a right and a responsibility. I don't think a person should be armed and unprepared. To me they are more armed and dangerous than they actually realize. Any thoughts? Oh and I hate when we as Americans are ruled over by our Govt passing down mandates, but some sort of responsible training beyond the initial class trip to the range to "qualify" with a weapon should be in place. It's a fine line I know. So please don't get me wrong.

Basic instruction is not enough to carry. Ky requires more law knowledge than shooting knowledge. I spend alot more time with my classes on the range than required. THEN, I ask them to get into a training class somewhere, if not in mine! I've talked people out of getting their CCL because they are not ready mentally. I really don't want the state to decide how much I train, but can't say it would be a bad thing.

I wasnt required to even touch a firearm in order to get my permit. (Granted in my county they are issued with hunting/ target restrictions right off the bat so you cant carry whenever you want...) So I agree. More thorough/ rigorous training couldnt hurt.

I agree that training is essential but I don't want the gov telling me how much range time I have to get in before I can be permitted. Another problem w/ that is big brother will be tracking how much you train and you might become a bright blow on their radar, don't want that either, like they don't already monitor all these forums. For the person that already has the CCW, you're dang right. Train, train, train. I'm headed to Front Site in Nov for another 4 day day combat course. $69.00, yes I said $69.00. Watch their site for specials.

My daughter and I took the CCW training from a police officer and a SWAT team member. I am not sure what kind of training the person breaking into my home at night has? or trying to hold me up in the parking lot at the mall or at Wal-Mart. I am training all the time, and she is dating a police officer who is helping her. No, we are not professionals, but yes we are armed for a home invasion where as before we were not. Chances are the invader will be surprised. We have had home invasions on the increase in our area and two weeks ago a home owner shot and killed a 17 year old trying to break into his home. The 17 year old was armed, as were his 3 other partners 18 and 19 year olds at 4:00 AM. The 17 year old was out on a weekend pass from Juvie detention. Yes there are some that are not trained as well as we could be but we derserve to be armed so we can try to protect our homes from this kind of thing and have a better chance to stay alive....and at least some of of learned about law in the CCW class and are aware and are law abiding... which gives me more of a right to carry my weapon than the criminal trying to harm me or break into my home.

When you have to take mandated training to exercise a right(any right), you have set up the government to make the right impossible to attain.

-Doc

i agree that training is essential but i don't want the gov telling me how much range time i have to get in before i can be permitted. Another problem w/ that is big brother will be tracking how much you train and you might become a bright blow on their radar, don't want that either, like they don't already monitor all these forums. For the person that already has the ccw, you're dang right. Train, train, train...

^^^this^^^

I think SOME people shouldnt be able to exercise their 1st Amendment Rights........... AT least without some training beforehand.... "cause they can really ruin it for the rest of us...........

I think SOME people shouldnt be able to exercise their 1st Amendment Rights........... AT least without some training beforehand.... "cause they can really ruin it for the rest of us...........
I'm assuming you mean 2nd...? Though I concede some people could use some English class before exercising their 1st.

According to the Constitution of the United States, 2nd Amendment, any PERMIT issued by any government agency is unconstitutional. And you want to add more unconstitutional infringement on our rights? I am all in favor of obtaining training. I am an NRA Certified Instructor. But no way in hell will I ever agree with any additional government mandated training.

As for me! --- carrying a firearm is a big responsibility. When I carry I try to consider the thought of shooting another human.

I know that if and when a day should come! I will not hesitate shooting another person, be it male, or female.

I feel I know more now by carrying for the last five years then when I started. I think that age of a person gives them a insight of life.

How much training is enough? I can't answer that question. I spend hours a day reading everywhere on the net seeking knowledge about what is going on in the world around us as far as the use of citizens and firearms.

I know that the only thing that will stop me from seeking knowledge is death.

The only thing I can honestly say is: Be aware of what is happening around you as much as possible. Be prepared in your mind to do what is necessary to protect yourself, and your loved ones.

Be prepared to have your whole life turned upside down if you should ever have to use your firearm for protection.

The end of the action won't be nice when the authorities arrive and take your firearm, and I feel they will until all is resolved.

Self defense is not just a Constitutional right. It's a HUMAN right. So I don't think the government has any right telling us we can't be armed for protection, period! I do agree however that some people should not be armed without training, or at all, depending on their ability to operate a weapon safely and/or their mental disposition. Common sense stuff. However, all who intend to carry should get trained and stay trained, without having to be told to by the government. :neo:

There is no difference between "no one should have RKBA" and "only people of whom I approve should have RKBA".

I'm assuming you mean 2nd...? Though I concede some people could use some English class before exercising their 1st.

I think that was the point, amsgator. There is no training required by any institution to exercise your freedoms and rights guaranteed by the 1st, 3rd, 4th, etc., amendments. Why would you require it for exercising those guaranteed in the 2nd?

I think it is the *responsibility* of every citizen to know the safe, proper handling of a firearm. And should such a citizen wish to carry a firearm for his own protection, it remains his responsibility to acquire a proficiency at doing so. It is not for anyone else to decide how proficient this individual must become.

Nope, I meant it as I wrote it..... and was referring to the ignorant among us that think we need training to exercise a RIGHT......... If they want me to have training to exercise the 2nd, then they need some training before exercising the 1st and starting extremely poor thought out threads like this one....

Well, that was harsh, even for me........

But I dont think I will apologize ..... maybe it (harshness) is what they need to open their eyes some...

Well some people are overbearing and should dial it back a bit. Sounds like macho garbage and those people will get people hurt by acting without good rational thought. Shoot and shoot again! Hopefully you'll hit something. Hopefully not an innocent person that is behind your target. But they were a casualty of me exercising my rights. Too bad! That's the idiots I'm talking about. To obtain a basic drivers license is easy and requires no advanced training or courses. To obtain a license to drive a bus or fly a plane requires extensive training. We carry GUNS! Figure it out!!!

To the brother that wrote that about the 1st Amendment, LOL! You are dead on!!! Some folks need professional training before they open their mouth for sure. Lots of them in Congress....not to mention spelling, thank God for spell check!

And the statement about one messing it up for the rest of us, KUDOS!

When you have to take mandated training to exercise a right(any right), you have set up the government to make the right impossible to attain.

-Doc

LOL you hit that on the head! My 2nd amendment says "Shall not be infringed" I believe the founding Fathers knew the meaning of all the words when they put that in

Our 2A RKBA is infringed enough already. No more go'vt regs required and the ones that already exist should be eliminated. This is a fundamental RIGHT and so differs from a pilot's license, for example.

Those who carry and who have minimal or no training will figure it out soon enough...or die trying.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back