Need Info

securecarry76

I am looking at purchasing a gun from a friend but I have to admit I do not know much about colt 1911 and there off brand manufactures. the slide on this gun is from a colt but the frmae says that it is made by essex arms. serial numbers do not match but it does not look as though any of them have been scratched in any way.
My question is; what relationship does essex have with colt? are they ment to be part of the same gun and what serial number do I use to registar the gun? :confused:

It would appear that someone ordered a frame from Essex and built up a 1911 with miscellaneous parts. This is similar to ordering an AR15 lower and building the rifle as you can afford parts. You should use the SN from the Essex frame for registration purposes.

Link Removed

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here, but if you're caught by some a**hole LEO carrying that gun, you could very well end up in some hot water. If you want a 1911 but can't afford to pay full price right away, how about just going to a gun store and putting one on layaway?

I may be in the minority here, but if you're caught by some a**hole LEO carrying that gun, you could very well end up in some hot water. If you want a 1911 but can't afford to pay full price right away, how about just going to a gun store and putting one on layaway?

No sir, you are not. That pistol has red flag wanings all over it.
My questions is what make you both come to that conclusion? Just because it has an Essex receiver and surplus parts doesn't make it an illegal or a bad firearm. I've built several 1911's with Essex receivers over the years. With that logic over half of the AR's would constitute a red flag because they were build from parts. If it's in good shape and the price is right then buy it, securecarry76. If you have to register it in your state then it would be an Essex Arms 1911 and you use that serial number. The receiver is the only part of the weapon that's registered. The slide and other parts can have any number on it and has nothing to do with the receiver. It won't be a Colt unless you find a Colt reciver and put all the parts on it.

Thank you.
I knew that surplus parts for this type of weapon are a dime a dozen and I was only wondering. I do understand the other issues and am willing to do a back ground search first. it is a beutiful weapon and for 300 I cant complain.

Red Hat, I understand what you are saying. If SC76 does now the history of that pistol, and is confident it will clear scrutiny, then maybe okay. BUt if there is any doubt, Then is it worth bringing the LE community down on you & your friend?
Do your due diligence.

Thank you.
I knew that surplus parts for this type of weapon are a dime a dozen and I was only wondering. I do understand the other issues and am willing to do a back ground search first. it is a beutiful weapon and for 300 I cant complain.

If you are well known and liked by your favorite FFL, you might ask them to run a courtesy check on both the Colt slide SN and the Essex frame SN.

My questions is what make you both come to that conclusion? Just because it has an Essex receiver and surplus parts doesn't make it an illegal or a bad firearm. I've built several 1911's with Essex receivers over the years. With that logic over half of the AR's would constitute a red flag because they were build from parts. If it's in good shape and the price is right then buy it, securecarry76. If you have to register it in your state then it would be an Essex Arms 1911 and you use that serial number. The receiver is the only part of the weapon that's registered. The slide and other parts can have any number on it and has nothing to do with the receiver. It won't be a Colt unless you find a Colt reciver and put all the parts on it.

Unfortunately, there are members here who are quick to say anything just to increase their post counts. This is one forum where comments must be verified elsewhere before their veracity can be trusted. It would really help if those without information would withhold commenting upon topics outside their knowledge.

SC76,
The pistol is probably perfectly legal. To be safe, ask your FFL to run the two serial numbers, from the frame and the slide. If they both are clean and the price is right, buy the gun.

I have a similar situation. I bought my Colt .45 from a FFL dealer a very long time ago. Built with parts from here and there, it's a nice hand gun, but not a true Colt 1911, but traceable with the serial numbers and legal just the same. Buying something from a private party, though, is different. How can you be sure that it's not hot?

Unfortunately, there are members here who are quick to say anything just to increase their post counts. This is one forum where comments must be verified elsewhere before their veracity can be trusted. It would really help if those without information would withhold commenting upon topics outside their knowledge.

Not sure who you're directing this at, but don't you think it's important to be sure that the gun you're purchasing checks out, and if you're not sure, then either take it to an FFL or don't buy it at all?

If you are buying a firearm from someone you don't know you take a chance on it being hot. If you know someone and trust them then I see no problem buying it. securecarry76 undoubtedly knows the individual that's selling the firearm and he should have an idea how trustworthy that individual is. From what I read securecarry76 was confused by the mismatched parts and wanted to know what serial number is used to register it. Now if he had said it's a Colt 1911 with all matching parts then I doubt anyone here would have made any negative comments. Essex only makes receivers and not complete firearms. Any Essex 1911 you find will be made from parts. Most FFL's don't have a way to check a firearm by serial number. Usually the local PD comes in and gets a list of trade-in serial numbers looking for stolen firearms. Unless they have a friend in the local dept you are out of luck.

Last edited:
1911s have been built from various parts for years. Essex has made a huge number of frames used by builders over the years and they were mated to whatever parts were available. If you wish, you can purchase a frame and a set of parts from various sources and build your own 1911. To act as though there were something special and scary about this shows a lack of knowledge. No more care would need to be taken with this handgun than with any other.
Sarco has sold many Essex frames and sets of parts. Go down the list to " 1911 .45, Auto Builders Kit "
Link Removed

Link Removed

I now have a list of posters here whose opinion has no value to me because they quickly post nonsense when they have no facts. For reference see:
http://www.usacarry.com/forums/2nd-...-shipping-guns-yourself-have-you-done-so.html
wherein I had to needlessly quote the ATF website because of such nonsense. As for who I was referring to, it's my list...

My 1911 is a Frankenstein. The serial number on the frame is all that matters. That is the legal number regardless of the numbers on the other parts.
Many 1911's are custom built. In most cases it is only an improvement.

GOOD LUCK!!!

My intentions were clarify my own ignorance on this gun. Not to incite a dispute. As far as knowing the person I am buying the gun from trust is no issue. However he recieved the gun from a family member many years before. The gun has wear on it and seams to be in good order otherwise. The only exception is the slide has a microscopic rattle in the fron of the frame. Is this a problem. I am a tactical gun owner and never owned any handgun that is not a polymer frame. I take all advise with thanks. :confused:

1911s are supposed to rattle a little bit. A tight 1911 may shoot a smaller group, but may be finicky about the ammo you feed it.

If you have any concerns on the functionality of the firearm take it to a gunsmith and have them check it out. Some slide play is common on kit built 1911's. The receiver is a generically sized and will fit standard slides without lapping it so some rattle is to be expected. If you are in a gun store check out some of the new 1911's and see how much play they have. You'll be surprised. Again if you have any doubts have it checked out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back