Need holster advice

Otahyoni

I carry (just started) a S&W M&P45. Ive only been carrying one day and for now i have a Serpa for OC. I would like suggestions for a CC holster. I'm on the small side of average (5'9" and 140lbs). One that caught my eye was the Cross-Breed Super Tuck. I don't like my shirt untucked and warmer weather is approaching. I plan on OC occasionally. I hope this is enough info for some sound advice, if not, ask me what you need.

SmartCarry solution

I also carry and M&P 45. Everyone's carry situation is different so there is no universal answer. In my case, I don't have the support of my children but the tolerance of my wife. There is a need for a carry method that will not be detected during social and family hugs as well as roughhousing and snuggling with the grandchildren. My solution is http://smartcarry.com/. Even with the full sized M&P 45 (with Crimson Trace LaserGrips and a ClipDraw), I am very comfortable to carry with all types of clothing. The only time I notice I'm carrying is when changing positions such as standing to sitting to driving.

I believe you'll find the M&P .45 a bit large for tucked shirt concealed carry.

I routinely carry a fullsize 1911 in a KyTac IWB BraveHeart under an untucked and unbuttoned "camp" shirt, worn over a t-shirt. It's actually in style now !

Carry options

I am sure you will get a ton of advice and just like me, you will likely spend some serious coin to find the holster($) that are right for you! I started off with IWB holsters at first and found that while they were good at concealing, they weren't entirely comfortable. I now prefer owb with a jacket, sport coat or untucked shirt. I also really like my shoulder rig, Galco Jack Ass, for my G30 in .45! In the summer, I usually find myself wearing a Smartcarry. Not only can you wear just about anything, you can tuck your shirt in and ya can't see the weapon! If you buy the full size Smartcarry, you can wear any weapon you want by just using a couple of saftey pins properly positioned to keep you firearm from moving around. When you call Smartcarry, just ask Charlie (the owner) about it. He's very helpful! Best of Luck!

Surfcc

Thanks for the advice y'all. I might have to look at the smart carry. My dad has a home-made version based on the smart carry. I guess i need to start buying jeans with a little more room in them.

you may try the Comp-Tec Line I have two of there holsters and love them. But look around and find something that works for you.

I have heard great things about the Crossbreed. I think I'm about to order one. But as was said, I don't really think it will work all that well tucked. I have tried tuckable holsters and you end up with this strange uneven look at your waste. The Smartcarry does work. I carry my Kahr CW9 in one sometimes. However a thicker gun makes a strange print in the area. I am not sure how thick your S&W is . Good luck.

All we can do is point you in the direction of some good holster makers but in the end you will be the judge. I have waited for months on custom holsters to get them and not like them.

TT Gunleather makes a great leather IWB.
Link Removed makes a great leather OWB.
C-Tac has a great rep.

I tried a Crossbreed. It holstered the gun to close to my body. Mind you I am a bit bigger on the edges. So again in the end you will be the judge.

My advice would be to head to your local gun shop that has a good selection of holsters. Pull them out of the bag and see how it fits. Most reputable gun shops will let you inspect the merchandise before purchasing. Many of the better known manufacturers have packaging that will allow customers to open up the packaging and check out the fit and feel of the holster. Despite my best efforts to check the holster before buying it, I still managed to accumilate a box full of holsters that for one reason or another are no longer used. :wink:

My CC holsters are mostly kydex. The M&P 45 is a rather large gun for a IWB or SOB holster. Sounds like a great excuse to purchase another gun. :icon_cheesygrin:

gf

I recently got a mitch rosen iwb holster at the advice of a Sig arms rep for my P220. the most comfortable iwb i have tried, 1 handed reholstering is a cinch. my 220 is stainless full size and seems to weigh a ton but with this holster and nice wide belt i really dont even know its there. Prior to this i was a galco fan but i think i will stick with mitch rosen products for a while. :icon_biggrin:

I will give you two thumbs up for the Cross Breed Supertuck (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/). I carry a Glock 26 in a right handed Supertuck daily and my spare magazine in the Cross Breed tuckable magazine carrier. I have all of that on a Wilderness Tactical 1 1/2" Instructor belt along with a flashlight, Leatherman, cell phone, and work phone.

This a great rig and I was fortunate to find it before I spent hundreds of dollars finding a setup that works, is coomfortable, and is secure. There is no retention in the holster except for the gun specific impressions in the kydex panel of the holster. When you are wearing it, the gun is pinched between your body and the Kydex and the gun is firmly and securely held in place.

I do wear this holster with a shirt tucked in, and it is comfortable and well concealed. The adjustability of the belt loops is what makes this holster so concealable, and I am able to have the gun held with the butt tucked right against my side. It is comfortable all day long and I usually wear it for 14-16 hours a day. In places where I can't have a weapon, I just remove the gun and mag and continue to wear the holster and carrier. The holster stays open so replacing the gun is easy.

I highly recommend this rig. If you need another reason to buy it, my same holster will also carry the G17 and G19. I am unsure if it fits any of the .40S&W Glocks, but I am sure Mark at Crossbreed could tell you.

Give them a try. Idoubt you will be disappointed.

-Matt

You may have to alter your mode of dress to carry the M&P 45.

I favor IWB year round for carry, but found that "Tucked" is best suited for smaller weapons like a J-Frame or a Kahr PM9. I'm not a big guy, 5'06" and 140 pounds soaking wet. I manage to hide a 4" N-Frame or a 5" 1911 using either a Milt Sparks or a Matt Del Fatti IWB Holster and a "Cover Shirt" that is unbuttoned. I wear a T-Shirt and then wear an untucked/unbuttoned Hawaiian Shirt, much like it was a jacket. This allows me to hide my gun easily in 100 degree weather.

I'm just offering my advice so that you may avoid the hassle of trying to hide too big of a gun using less than effective methods.

Biker

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back