Need help.

Az Bersa

I went out to the range today and still having difficulty getting it constantly in the black. The sight picture I use is the one everyone and everywhere states. The rear sights and front sights top edges level with one another. Is that correct? Well looking at my group on the target used today, They are nice and close but all on the bottom edge of the target. Some elsewhere as I was trying to adjust. I had my son help with a digital level to measure the angle of the gun with the "proper" sight picture. It measured 2 degrees (+-1) low. My question is how much change at 40 feet would that be? I think pretty close to what I am seeing. Any comments? help me brainstorm this because i can shoot other guns with simmular results but all in the black. any thought welcome thanks :)Link Removed

you do not tell distance from target. Are you standing 25 yards from target? Just concentrate on the red circle you show on your target, instead of the black. You do not advise if weapon has adjustment for elevation.

What is your sight picture? Are you "lolly-popping" it or covering your target? At 40 feet you shouldn't have this much drop.

For pistols the front sight should cover up where you want to hit, and one way I've heard to use your sights is "float the dot, shoot the shot." If the front sight is in between the rear sights and the front dot is floating from the bottom of the rear sight you should be good.

Do you have three dot sights? Both of my guns, Smith and Wesson and Sig, have them. I put the front dot on the center of my target.

Tremendito, the distance is 13 yards and there is just adjustment for windage.
Imrambi, I am keeping dot on the orange. What i have been seeing on the sights is that the top edges of the back sights and the top edge of the front sight are even and level.

Do you have a pistol rest? Shooting low is usually an anticipation of recoil. The goal would be to make sure its the gun and not you.

Do you have a pistol rest? Shooting low is usually an anticipation of recoil. The goal would be to make sure its the gun and not you.

This is usually it. What type of gun and caliber? If you have a compact type pistol it will really show up!

1) Can be "recoil anticipation", as stated above.

2) Could also be taking a six o' clock sight picture inadvertently, given that one sometimes has trouble keeping sight on target while focusing on the front sight and the target is "fuzzy" as a result.

3) Could be as simple as needing more "elevation" cranked onto the sights. Although at 40 feet, there should be no way that "out of the box sights settings" should be that low.

4) Which leaves a manufactorer's sight alignment error. (These days..... probably the least likely "reason".)

GG

Iam2taz, It is a Bersa .380 with 600 rounds through it and I go see some anticipation (maybe more than I realize).
Firefighter I have been looking at them online for practice. Just havent ordered them yet. trying to find a good deal.

Gunny, your last option I checked out today. The inside range had a gunsmith and he checked, just checked the sights for $10. no adjustments needed. Which made me feel good since I was the one who has mest with them. I did something right. LOL :)
one thing I did at home was practice the 2 degree elevation correction with my son who checked the level then I went to the range to try it. It seemed to work better but still all over the target.

Well, just might be a glitch you developed with that gun.

I bought my wife a Walther's 22 target so she could practice her marksmanship cheaply. (Only reason to own a .22 pistol IMHO. Although if my herd of tree squirrels gets any worse, I MAY find a second use for the gun.) I fired it and ran 100 rounds through it, but I found (after trying to adjust sights repeatedly) that I was "pushing" the barrel to the right (I'm a southpaw) because the grip is too small for my hands. So I "squeeze" and it goes to the right.

That not being bad enough, I find that this little bother has transmitted itself to every gun I own. Thus, at 20 yards, slow fire, rapid fire, don't matter a bit, I have a nice 2-3 inch grouping of shots, all sitting 3-4 inches to the right of center of mass at exactly three o' clock.

Despite three trips to the range and careful concentration on the trigger squeeze, it's always the same. MOST annoying! This from a .45 cal pistol expert who never missed his expert's badge through twenty years of requal firing. AND, prior to the incident with the .22, was shooting quite accurately with all my guns.

Wife shoots 'em, no problems. Can your eyes get so bad to cause that sort of thing?

Ya gotcha a bad habit there! Is all I can figure for my malady. Now..... if I could only figure out how to get RID of the annoying "twitch". LOL!

GG

Well, just might be a glitch you developed with that gun.
Ya gotcha a bad habit there! Is all I can figure

GG
Yeah I know I push to the left if I dont pay attention when I pull the trigger w/o the pad of the finger. But working on it. I probably squeeze too much and the anticipation. But I have taught myself to aim with both eyes open in a week (equates to 2 trips to the range and lots of practice in the house with an empty gun of coarse

I shot several guns before I bought my first EDC. Many - many people love Glocks. Outstanding weapons, not doubt about it. Yet, I couldn't hit the center of a barn from the inside with the couple I tried. lol Picked up my Walter and put them in the middle. Perhaps, as Gunny says, it is a glitch with you and the gun.
Keep at it, you'll get it!

There appears to be several things going on with your target. You are having issues on 2 axies. I would start with grip. Unload your firarm check it clear and grasp it by the barrel in your non firing hand. Push the butt of the pistol into your firing hand you should feel a groove where the butt fits nicely. Ensure the grip is as high on the frame as possible. FIRMLY wrap your fingers across the front of the grip keeping your trigger finger along the frame. Grip the weapon as tightly as possible. The web of your thumb should be almost spilling over the backstrap but not to the point where you would be injured by slide action.

Your non firing hand should be in a comfortable position supporting but not gripping the firing hand. The firing hand pushes forward and the non firing hand pulls backwards in a relaxed but firm tension.

Aim down the sight grip the gun as tightly as possible now relax slightly. You want to grip the gun just tight enough that it does not move when you try to grip it tighter but no firmer. This will take practice.

A high and tight grip will go a long way toward improving your accuracy.

I will leave it to someone else to discuss the second aspect of accuracy: Trigger control

Thanks for the info Doc. I have tried that today(empty gun) and it does feel different in the hand and steadier as well.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back