Need help with IWB setup for a skinny guy!

aluttmann

Hi all! I recently purchased a Glock 27 and a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holster. I am 6' and weigh about 155lbs, size ~32 waist depending on the brand. Living in Florida, it's typically shorts or jeans and a medium sized t-shirt (I don't like very baggy clothes and usually prefer 'athletic' fits).

The holster fits in my waistband and over belt nice and secure (a sturdy Dickies belt), and is comfortable while standing or walking, but when I sit down it seems a bit large. When the pistol is holstered the muzzle does not protrude from the bottom of the kydex at all, but the leather extends another 2" or so past that. Is that for a particular reason other than protecting the wearer from abrasion from a longer barrel? For me it just seems like an inconvenience. The adjustable belt loops stick out a bit and create a sort of small print on my butt pocket just making my butt look a bit awkward, but I figure once I find the right positioning I can trim them down. My main concern is with the extra leather that seems to hit anything I sit on, causing the rig to rise on my hip and forcing me to sit awkwardly or pulling the belt up with it, making the whole deal obvious.

Any recommendations? Should I try to trim the extra leather off? I am hesitant because it wasn't cheap, but I really don't want to spend a few hundred bucks trying out several holsters only to find one I actually like.

-Andy

Personally when I started carrying, I necessarily started buying shirts one size larger than than I needed. Secondly I buy my jeans about 2 inches in the waist bigger to fit inside the waistband. At present I carry a full sized 1911 in a Panther Concealment IWB holster and frequently wear just a tshirt for cover with no problems. I couldn't be considered skinny I guess at 5" 10" and right at 200 pounds, but the Panther Concealment holster sucks the but of the gun right up into my ribs. The only time it might would be a problem is when sitting, but you have to be a little more conscious of where and how you sit. For instance when we go to restaurants I sit with the gun to the inside and not outside. This took some considerable coaching on my wifes part because she tends to want to sit down at the first seat she comes to and somehow that usually would mean I would be sitting with the gun towards the aisle, but she finally learned to pay attention.

I have a sig 239 and the same holster. After a few weeks of adjusting the cant, I trimmed off all but one last adjustment hole on each clip. While definitely a better fit, the shorter clips make the holster a bit less friendly to install every morning. Shorter clips don't clear the belt very well. A minor bother at best. As far as the leather is concerned, it will soften and conform over time. I highly recommend waiting. Then wait some more...it will conform. I live in Missouri with high humidity, my wait time was about a month. If you need to cut the leather, be sure not to cut the double layered, stitched pieces...And research a bit, there's a few youtube vids on how to get a rolled edge when cutting leather.

I'm of a similar build to you, with a 31" waist. I use a Versacarry holster at 12 o'clock or 3-4 o'clock with a beretta nano, or a foxx hybrid holster at 4-5 o'clock with a walther PPQ. I have some other holsters, like a multi-holsters.com "TC" trigger cover, but the above are my most common go-to holsters for EDC. I too wear cargo shorts and T-shirts in warm weather, and jeans, slacks (Dockers) or tactical cargo pants in the cold months with a jacket. I have no issues at all with concealment or comfort with those holsters and guns.

Thanks for all of the replies! I really appreciate the advice.

I've worn the Minotaur a couple of times now and I can notice that is getting a little more shaped/comfortable (or I'm just getting used to it). Typically the size 32 pants I wear are a little loose and there is actually enough room in the waist that with the G27 and holster at about 3 o'clock, the pants are still a bit loose. I think this might just be the brand though - I don't think I'm fitting this rig in my jeans lol.

As far as how concealable the double stack Glock is on my thinner frame, It definitely isn't as easy to conceal as I imagine a single stack (or just an even smaller pistol) would be, but I think I've found the compromise. I have a couple of casual button down shirts that I wear for those more dressy occasions that I don't want to actually dress up for, such as dinner with the Ms. Wearing those it is near invisible and the Ms. parents didn't notice after a day of walking around with them. I might try some polo shirts and see if they conceal as nicely as the button downs, but I'll have to try out a medium and large and see which I like better. Maybe an 'athletic' fit large wouldn't be too baggy for my personal taste!

Thanks again guys!
-Andy

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back