Need help with a question.

RJ_Whitlock

M&P 9mm
I'm wondering if Winchester Bonded PDX1 9mm Luger +P 124 grain JHP, will fire and perform just fine in my M&P that was manufactured this year.

I emailed both S&W and Winchester and didn't get a straight yes or no answer. Some help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

You'll have to try it to find out. I don't carry any ammo that I didn't shoot at least 50 rounds of through my gun. The gun can certainly handle the +P, if that is your concern.

I just bought some from my local gun shop. Gunsmith actually recommended it for my m&p. Still have to take to the range and test it though.

If you read the M&P Manual it states not to put +P or +P+ ammo in their guns and that it can void their warranty.

Interesting. Because that is not what my M&P Manual says. Page 11:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/M&P_Pistol_Manual_10-30-10.pdf

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the
pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures
may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety.
Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more
frequent service.
“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that
it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated
and could be DANGEROUS.

If you read the M&P manual you will notice it says not to use reloads, also on page 11:

WARNING: DEATH, SERIOUS INJURY AND DAMAGE
CAN RESULT FROM THE USE OF INCORRECT AMMUNITION
OR BORE OBSTRUCTIONS. NEVER USE
RELOADS OF ANY KIND.

So, how many people do you think have ignored that one for years?

I have an older manual (2 years ago). I just use +p in the gun for my SD ammo just like in my HK and Jericho 941. I don't know what to say.

Interesting. Because that is not what my M&P Manual says. Page 11:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/M&P_Pistol_Manual_10-30-10.pdf

If you read the M&P manual you will notice it says not to use reloads, also on page 11:

So, how many people do you think have ignored that one for years?

Reloads and +P ammo issues are slightly different. Using either will be contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations, however with the reloads, minimal danger is present provided that the reloads are done by a proficient person and done to factory specs as outlined in the user's manual. The higher powder charge in +P and greater ammo will almost definitely result in bad things happening.

Follow the recommendations in the user's manual, if you have any questions or doubt, contact the manufacturer directly (I prefer email for documentation purposes) to clarify any issues you may have.

gf

I can't speak for the s&w but I use the rounds in question +p in my H&K USP i bought this year and they perform wonderfully. Then again it's an H&K so nothing less is to be expected. I don't know if you were asking in regards to whether or not it will hurt your weapon or void the warranty.

There are so many options in 9mm ammo that you should be able to find something that works w/o stressing your gun. My caary pistol is rated for"any commercially produced ammo", but my choice of ammo is GoldDot 124 grain standard loads.
If you really feel you need the extra umph, get a 357 Sig.

My Question is why do we need +P or +P+ in the first place? My own Opinion if I thought I was going to need a little more power I would go up in caliber.

My Question is why do we need +P or +P+ in the first place? My own Opinion if I thought I was going to need a little more power I would go up in caliber.

Variety is the spice of life. Why do we need "extra strength" pain medicines like "Tylenol"? It's good to have options. To go up in caliber, you would have to purchase another firearm. I'm sure that everyone will have their own reasons why this is not practical.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back