Need Help with 9mm luger OAL.

LS-208

GUNFRK
I have some Magnus 122gr LSWC. Couldn't find any reload data for these so I called Hogdon, since I am using TiteGroup powder, to get the data. 3.6gr-4.0gr ended up being the charge weight. The problem is the length. Max OAL for 9x19 Luger is 1.169. Mine are coming in at 1.060. That's pretty short I would think. And, that is barely above the top gas seal. These bullets are .555 in length. Can anyone offer any insight as to what my OAL should be round or about? Thanks.

I wish I had some for you. I am not sure where to go with this one. Handloadersbench.com may help. That is about all they do is load and shoot. I learned a ton there.

It is okay to be below max OAL as long as it is greater than min OAL for the load data.

Max OAL makes sure the round chambers in most firearms.

Min OAL is to minimize potential over pressure due to reduced case volume.

First thing I would do is weigh one or two of the bullets. 1.050 makes sense for a 90 - 100 gr bullet.

If the weight is correct, I would call them back and ask what the min OAL should be.

Eric

Thanks.

I appreciate it. The guys at hogdon must have given me the wrong data because @ 0.1gr under max, the load won't even cycle the action. Gotta work that out too.

As you reduce the OAL, case pressure will rise with the same powder charge. I suspect that when you seat the bullet in the case far enough that it will cycle the gun perfectly.

I use bullets from Precision Delta and could find no specific load data. I then adjust the seating until it looks correct. Start low in the load range and slowly work up until satisfied. With the 124 gr hollow point bullet I end up at 1.045 OAL. With 7.6 gr of Accurate #7 and a fairly heavy crimp , they chrony @ 1160 fps out of my Glock 19. With 7.8 gr , I hit 1250 fps and no signs of overpressure whatsoever.

As you reduce the OAL, case pressure will rise with the same powder charge. I suspect that when you seat the bullet in the case far enough that it will cycle the gun perfectly.

I use bullets from Precision Delta and could find no specific load data. I then adjust the seating until it looks correct. Start low in the load range and slowly work up until satisfied. With the 124 gr hollow point bullet I end up at 1.045 OAL. With 7.6 gr of Accurate #7 and a fairly heavy crimp , they chrony @ 1160 fps out of my Glock 19. With 7.8 gr , I hit 1250 fps and no signs of overpressure whatsoever.

Well let me ask this, If I increase the charge to get the rounds to cycle,being how Hodgdon gave me incorrect load data, will I not run the risk of the pressure running to high? They told me that they did not have data for lead bullets because they test with pressures running higher than they like for them to.

Do not exceed the max charge weight. If the data doesn't work for your gun, move on to a different combination of bullet and powder. Hodgdon is very good at what they do.

Eric

I would not increase the powder charge. You stated the bullet was barely seated at the gas seal. I suspect you need to reduce the OAL. There is no reason to try to load at the max OAL. The only 9mm rounds that I have ever had a problem with feeding in my Glocks were loaded near the max OAL.

My 7th edition Hornady manual lists OAL from 1.050 to 1.165 . That is a huge difference in length compared to other calibers. This happens because of the large variation in bullet design and weights. For what it is worth, the longest was based on a 147 grn FMJ boat tail bullet which is much longer than most 9mm bullets.

As you seat the bullet deeper in the brass, case pressure will rise as will velocity. This has a very similar effect as adding more powder.

With any load recipe, if you load at max powder charge and then seat the bullet deeper, you can easily get into overpressure. Most powders burn relatively slow without pressure....as pressure increases, so do burn rates. The same thing happens in an engine. When you add pressure to combustion, the burn becomes much more rapid.

With the bullet you are loading, I would seat the bullet deeper in the case (Until it looks correct) and load it at the 3.6 gr and test...If it is not enough, bump it up a little (I.E. 3.8) and test again...don't exceed the max.

I am going nuts trying to find a load for these 122gr Magnus bullets. I have even contacted Terri at Magnus and haven't heard from him. I have some Accurate #5 I was hoping to use. At this point I don't care. Whatever load I can find I will go get the powder. Anyone have any suggestions?

Checking OAL

I read this: Cut three slots in a couple of cases (test cases/NO primers). Now start your bullet, then chamber it in your gun. Now carfully take out the bullet and measure it to determine the MAX OAL for that gun. I've done this and it works quit well. Reducing this length will ALWAYS increase pressure so start with a very low powder charge. After you arrive at your RECIPE, please post it as I for one would be interested in trying a new load recipe. Start low to stay safe.

Got em!

122gr 9mm LSWC Loads

Accurate #2. 3.1gr - 3.9gr
Accurate #5. 4.8gr - 5.5gr.

175gr 40 cal LSWC

Accurate #2. 4.8gr - 5.3gr
Accurate #5. 5.6gr (This is my own. since no data was available)

I appreciate everyone's help.

Try the web site below:
Link Removed

I've never used AA #5 in the 9 mm. I have used AA #7, (7.6 gr. gives me about 1100 fps with a 124 grain bullet and 7.8 gr. gives me 1100 fps with a 115 grain bullet).

AA #5 is typically used in the 40 S&W so you can probably find load data for the 9 mm somewhere...you would very likely need less AA #5 powder; using AA #7 data would likely result in high pressure.

I would recommend Unique, Bullseye, or Power Pistol for the 9mm if your going to buy powder; all three are very versitile.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back