Need advice on CC for long road trip

jbyun

Hello Everyone,

Brand new to the forum and figured I would ask the knowledgable regarding CC advice for an upcoming road trip.

This Christmas, we are planning to drive to Kansas from NC. We'll pass through VA, WV, KY, IN, IL, MO, and finally reach our destination in KS and out of all those states IL is the only state that doesn't honor NC's conceal carry permit. However, it seems that each state has different state laws regarding whether or not it is legal to have a concealed hangun in state parks, national forests, etc and I was wondering what would be the best way to carry during this road trip.

I was initially planning on concealed carry except while we drive through IL but now it may seem that may not be a good idea. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

This Christmas, we are planning to drive to Kansas from NC. We'll pass through VA, WV, KY, IN, IL, MO, and finally reach our destination in KS and out of all those states IL is the only state that doesn't honor NC's conceal carry permit. However, it seems that each state has different state laws regarding whether or not it is legal to have a concealed hangun in state parks, national forests, etc and I was wondering what would be the best way to carry during this road trip.

I was initially planning on concealed carry except while we drive through IL but now it may seem that may not be a good idea. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
When you can legally carry, do it. When you can't you secure it in your trunk in accordance to Link Removed.

The firearm(s) are in your trunk (or as far away from the passenger compartment as possible if you're in an SUV, truck, van or crossover type vehicle. Unloaded, ammunition in a case separate from the firearms. There is some legal debate if a loaded magazine or clip constitutes a loaded firearm. In some States it does as a magazine is an a working part of a semi-auto pistol. A charged speedloader or speedstrip is not as those are not working parts of a revolver.

Don't take chances. Get a copy of TRAVELER'S GUIDE TO THE GUNS LAWS OF THE FIFTY STATES. It is THE reference for this kind of question. Very reasonably priced, too.

You don't have to worry about Nat. Forrest, just Nat. Parks. State Parks you have to worry about State to State. You can go on each of the states forums here and check the laws also. I print them out and put them in a folder for my vehicle for quick reference. Highlighting pertinent info for each state helps also.

Thank you all for the helpful information. As anyone on a long trip knows, you want to minimize your time in the car by consolidating bathroom breaks, etc and trying to stop only when necessary. I may consider just putting my gun in the trunk so I don't have to pull over everytime we enter/leave a National Park, State Park, or States.

It just doesn't seem it's worth the trouble when we're driving most of the time. Perhaps if we stop at a sketchy gas station late at night, I may CC while we're filling up.

Which national parks/forests do you plan on passing through? I say that, with the exception of IL, if you're not passing through a prohibited area, then carry.

Carry when you legally can and when you're not, be aware that you're not. Nothing worse than reaching for something that's not there. Consider having a readily accessible common object nearby that *is* universally legal, like a box cutter or hammer. It's better than nothing and you can always make up an excuse for its presence.

Carry when you legally can and when you're not, be aware that you're not. Nothing worse than reaching for something that's not there. Consider having a readily accessible common object nearby that *is* universally legal, like a box cutter or hammer. It's better than nothing and you can always make up an excuse for its presence.
If you carry often, you're well aware when you're not carrying. I'm a bit on edge when I don't carry.

Need advice

I would highly recommend J. Scott Kappas, Esq's book 'Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States.' I just purchased a copy of it at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Lacey, WA. for about $13.00. Each page is one state's gun laws, as they apply to someone travelling through with firearms. Excellent book, at a most reasonable price.

Upon further examination of the route I'm taking, it seems that I'll only be passing through the following:

1. Pilot Mountain State Park in NC (Can't carry in State Parks for NC)
2. Hoosier National Forrest in IN (Can carry in IN - DNR)

So it seems I'll just have to put my gun in the trunk while I'm passing through Pilot Mountain State Park and Illinois. Boo for Illinois and their anti gun nazi politicians (nobama)

I'm still going to look into the Traverler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. Thanks for the heads up wuzfuz.

Books

The issue with getting any book is that laws change frequently. I would consult handgunlaw.us prior to going on your trip and not invest in a book as it may be obsolete by the time you actually consult it. For something as volatile as firearm laws, I wouldn't waste my money on any printed book because of this obsolence factor.

And how do you go about vouching for the timeliness and accuracy of handgunlaw? At least TRAVELERS has a track record and is written by an attorrney (big deal, huh?). I always take anything I read on the 'net with a grain of salt. It's a great resource but it's also an endless supply of false information. To make the best use of the 'net you have to know something about the subject in the first place.

The book is an excellent reference guide, though you should do some checking before traveling. All 50 states have a website where contact information is available for agencies responsible for enforcing firearms laws. You can contact the agency directly by phone, however I strongly recommend contacting them by email if possible. This way you'll receive a written response and the name of a contact person should the information provided be inaccurate. I heard a rumor that as of January of this year the State of Nevada was recognizing CC permits from other states. After checking with the authorities in NV, I was educated to the fact that the rumors were true.

If anyone needs contact info for the individual states, Luke and crew have done an excellent job of putting that info in the "resources" section. If you need further info, PM me and I'll send you what I've got.

gf

Well, I guess that cinches it: I am chopped liver.

Totally my bad Shoots. Thank you ALSO for the heads up :thank_you2:

As for the concerns of outdated material, I bought the 2008 version, which apparently contains 32 changes or something like that so I should be good to go.

I guess after this year, the book will be my baseline and whenever I travel I can search online to see if there are any changes since the book was published. However, when you're researching online, the data is all over the place and this one consolidates all the information into one book so it's easier to pick and choose the state that you're interested in as you travel.

It's always good to have something in writing that shows that you made an effort to check out the laws BEFORE you started your travels. In many cases, as long as you're not blatantly violating the law, you may get a pass based on your "due diligence". It wouldn't hurt to check with the local authorities. Many states have laws that go into effect on some pretty weird dates.

gf

And how do you go about vouching for the timeliness and accuracy of handgunlaw? At least TRAVELERS has a track record and is written by an attorrney (big deal, huh?). I always take anything I read on the 'net with a grain of salt. It's a great resource but it's also an endless supply of false information. To make the best use of the 'net you have to know something about the subject in the first place.
It's much easier to update an electronic medium than it is to update printed medium. Regardless of the track record it isn't going to do you much good if a set of laws have changed since the printing or revision you have. It's a given that you are going to see out of date information after a legislative session is over. Handgunlaw.us also has the block of codes, laws or statutes relevant to carrying so you can verify it yourself on the respective State legislature website or an equivalent law archive such as lexisnexis. It provides an excellent starting point for verifying the current laws in effect.

Are you getting off of the interstate in those locations?

Just thought that I would let you know that if an interstate passes through a national (old law) or state park that the area of the interstate, including the rest areas, are not considered part of the park in regards to lawful permit holders. As long as you are not entering the park proper, lawful carry is permitted. Have fun on your trip!:happy:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back