Nebraska Reciprocity Question

tweintraub

I am trying to be legal when I travel to Nebraska. I have a Resident CCW from Colorado and also carry Utah. Unfortunately, neither is recognized in NE. If I get my AZ Non-Resident CCW, will this cover me? Does Nebraska recognize the AZ CCW regardless of resident/non-resident? Thanks

T.I.

Already answered last week...

I am trying to be legal when I travel to Nebraska. I have a Resident CCW from Colorado and also carry Utah. Unfortunately, neither is recognized in NE. If I get my AZ Non-Resident CCW, will this cover me? Does Nebraska recognize the AZ CCW regardless of resident/non-resident?
We went through this in an earlier thread, NE does not honor ANY CCW but their own. There is NO recognition or reciprocity of out of State CCWs in NE. This is stated on the Link Removed

The only way you can legally carry in NE if you are not a NE resident with a valid NE CHP is if you have qualified for the federal LEOSA.

Recognition and reciprocity in NE needs to be addressed in a future NE legislative session. Getting legal civilian CCW in NE was the first hurdle because of Ernie Chambers.

The issue of Nebraska not recognizing CC permits issued by other states, especially border states, is starting to tick some people off. Kansas will recognize a Nebraska CC permit but Nebraska won't recognize a Kansas CCHL. There's a growing sentiment that if we are not allowed to carry while visiting or traveling through Nebraska, Kansas should not recognize a Nebraska carry permit either. Personally I would not want to deprive anybody the right of self defense but don't be surprised if in the next couple of years a lobby group moves to prevent Nebraskans from carrying in our state. I won't jump on the bandwagon but I have some friends that might. Hopefully. the good people of Nebraska will exert some pressure on their state govenment to allow nonresidents with legal carry permits in their home state to protect themselves.

I think the bottom line is that antigun people would love to see us fall apart while arguing about gun rights. I also suspect there are those in our state governments who are actively working to keep us apart. I don't intend to let them win.

Last edited:
Again, it's a legislative issue. The original CCW bill had no provision for recognition or reciprocity with other States. An OH style reciprocity statute would work. Question is which States would qualify. What will likely happen is that they'll reciprocate or recognize States that are substantially similar to their own issuance criteria.

Nebraska Reciprocity

The Nebraska Legislature passed LB 430, which will allow reciprocity of other states, removed residense requirement for military personnel and ect. We have a ways to go but are happy with LB 430. Should be in effect approximatily Septermber 1, 2009.

LB 430 is in effect!

We should know in the next few days which states are on Nebraska's reciprocity list.

LB 430 is law as of today.

That's good news. I had to stop to unload and lock up my pistol before passing through Nebraska on the way back from Sturgis. We rode all night and not having my PPS available did bother me a bit.

Still nothing on AG Bruning's website. It has the look of a page that doesn't get a lot of changes.

WOW, I missed this whole thing from the beginning. Quite a pleasant surprise.

So, this is now in full effect and the states mentioned are now valid in NE?

Cool. They must have just changed it today, cause I looked yesterday and it had not yet been updated, which is why I asked here.

Not that I get to NE very much, but it is nice to see a state come to their senses.

Now we needs to get the CCW Reciprocity Map and the State Law section updated to reflect these changes in the Nebraska law.

Florida

As of 4 September 2009 the formal agreement was signed.

Only covers handguns and pistols. FL allows other weapons.

Now all Florida and Utah need to do is to knock some sense back into Nevada.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back