NC Vehicle Transport Laws?

Bonden

I don't have a concealed carry permit yet but figured you all, better than most, would be up on the laws regarding transport I need to know about.

I'll be traveling in NC in my van and wanted to know about taking a handgun with me. I'd prefer to transport it in a lawful way that might provide some utility for self-defense, or I'd just keep it unloaded, cased and locked in the "default" manner federally approved for interstate transport.

These are the notes I made from reading the document on car carry at HandGunLaw. Not being a lawyer, I'm seeking confirmation of a more practical nature on these matters:

NC (without concealed carry permit):

- Must inform officer of any handgun in vehicle, regardless of how its transported?

- There is no NC law re how guns must be transported in vehicles - its a matter of concealment and accessibility only.

- OK to transport loaded handgun in locked glove box or locked console (w/o key in lock).

- Open, unconcealed transport of loaded gun OK.

- "Luggage compartment" means rearward of seats and out of reach in a van.

- In state parks, follow federal interstate transport law: Unloaded, ammo and gun cased and locked in luggage compartment of vehicle.

Any advice or discussion will be appreciated.

Last edited:
The only thing that you have to do is make sure that the firearm is clearly visible in the vehicle. Most people recommend that you put it on the passenger seat or on top of the dashboard.

Back when packing dot org was still up they had some long winded write up about this... and it took me about 10 reads to realize it said with no permit the pistol had to be visible and not concealed. I think long guns are supposed to be unloaded but not totally sure.

You are legal so long as the gun is plainly visible. Every now and then someone gets nabbed because they lay the gun in the passenger seat (legal) and then end upforgettin it and inadvertently throwing a jacket or something else over it, making it concealed.

The best way to be legal is just strap it on your hip (unconcealed) and inform the officer that you are armed. I've never had a problem this way.

If you're not going to be needing it, you can lock it in the trunk. In NC loaded or unloaded doesn't matter, it's all the same. By the way, in the glove box is considered concealed in NC. There has been some squabble in the courts whether or not in a LOCKED glove compartment was "readily accessible" or not, but why get yourself into a gray area when you don't have to.

Oppps, you don't have a trunk. If it is in a locked case in the rear, basically from what court cases I have read, it is not "readily accessible". But again, why complicate it when you can just lay in on the dash and be legal.

What is illegal is carrying a gun that is CONCEALED and within "easy access" of a passenger OR driver. Areas that are clear violations of the law if you don't have CCW are places like an unlocked glovebox, inside the console, and under the seat. Remember that in NC, whether the gun is loaded or not has ZERO bearing on whether it's legal or not. If you carry 15 fully loaded HKs and AKs on the dash and hood of your car, you are A-Okay.

Yeah, I know. NC is weird.

You are legal so long as the gun is plainly visible. Every now and then someone gets nabbed because they lay the gun in the passenger seat (legal) and then end upforgettin it and inadvertently throwing a jacket or something else over it, making it concealed.

The best way to be legal is just strap it on your hip (unconcealed) and inform the officer that you are armed. I've never had a problem this way.

If you're not going to be needing it, you can lock it in the trunk. In NC loaded or unloaded doesn't matter, it's all the same. By the way, in the glove box is considered concealed in NC. There has been some squabble in the courts whether or not in a LOCKED glove compartment was "readily accessible" or not, but why get yourself into a gray area when you don't have to.

Oppps, you don't have a trunk. If it is in a locked case in the rear, basically from what court cases I have read, it is not "readily accessible". But again, why complicate it when you can just lay in on the dash and be legal.

What is illegal is carrying a gun that is CONCEALED and within "easy access" of a passenger OR driver. Areas that are clear violations of the law if you don't have CCW are places like an unlocked glovebox, inside the console, and under the seat. Remember that in NC, whether the gun is loaded or not has ZERO bearing on whether it's legal or not. If you carry 15 fully loaded HKs and AKs on the dash and hood of your car, you are A-Okay.

Yeah, I know. NC is weird.

Excellent post, NCjones.

I open carry , in N.C every day , every where I go , sept of course the obvious places , we all know schools , Fed Gov & sate buildings, an clearly posted NO WEAPONS stores, I it says no concealed , just unconceal it . When traveling , I can't place it on my dash I've got one of those deep ones that nothing will stay on , but my cup holder is up high an in plain view, I some times put it there , fits perfect . Most of the time I just leave it on an open , I carry in the front any ways so it's visible . If I am stopped or a traffic check I keep my hands on the wheel an tell the officer that I am armed . No trouble thus far .

I also open carry every day i leave my house. I just place my pistol on the dash my jeep liberty has the perfect dash to hold a pistol and if i am going to a show i place the others in the ohshit handle on the passengers side it will hold 4 cowboy 45's. I have been stopped at lots of traffic stops and never had a problem at all. most of the cops stop to talk about the guns i carry and all my locals know i have it and always ask which one i have tonight.

I live @ 20 miles from the SC border and often work there. In SC your carry has to be in the glove box(locked if possible) or other non accesible area. NC is just the opposite--it has to be clearly visible. When stopped or going through checks I lay my handguns onto the dash AND inform the officer that I am armed. Keeping your hands on the steering wheel or clearly visible will make sure the situation does not arouse his suspicions of you. I often get asked--why do you have two(or so many firearms). I ask them if they carry a back up and chuckle. Usually gets a similiar response. They want to go home to their families just like we do so we cannot blame them for wanting to be safe.
Was "hassled" once in Charlotte on Independence(74). We had four handguns on the dash and three people in our old Caddy. They asked if they could search the car and found 5-600 various rounds of ammo. To shorten the story, they finally said "adios" after 45 minutes of searching and told us to put our guns into the trunk. I stiffened and told them no that they were with us for a reason(being in Charlotte). They asked to let them leave prior to us reloading. They got excited when they found five loaded AK mags in the trunk and no rifle--I had left it propped against a tree at home when we loaded the trunk--and had forgotten it--oppps.

I live @ 20 miles from the SC border and often work there. In SC your carry has to be in the glove box(locked if possible) or other non accesible area. NC is just the opposite--it has to be clearly visible. When stopped or going through checks I lay my handguns onto the dash AND inform the officer that I am armed. Keeping your hands on the steering wheel or clearly visible will make sure the situation does not arouse his suspicions of you. I often get asked--why do you have two(or so many firearms). I ask them if they carry a back up and chuckle. Usually gets a similiar response. They want to go home to their families just like we do so we cannot blame them for wanting to be safe.
Was "hassled" once in Charlotte on Independence(74). We had four handguns on the dash and three people in our old Caddy. They asked if they could search the car and found 5-600 various rounds of ammo. To shorten the story, they finally said "adios" after 45 minutes of searching and told us to put our guns into the trunk. I stiffened and told them no that they were with us for a reason(being in Charlotte). They asked to let them leave prior to us reloading. They got excited when they found five loaded AK mags in the trunk and no rifle--I had left it propped against a tree at home when we loaded the trunk--and had forgotten it--oppps.

What reason did they have to search the vehicle???

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back