NC Homeowner shoots, kills burglar

I just took the class and got my NC CCL. Hate to say this but this is what they teach.. if you are in your house and forced entry is occuring you can defend to include use of deadly force.. if you are outside like he was and you know someone has broken in to your house you call 911 you do not go in and shoot.. he most likly will be charged and do some time.. sad but true..

"Honest I was not aware he was in there until I stepped through the door". Then it just happened, BANG! BANG!

Peace..

Does your Governor have the power for Executive Order? Would that be a possibility as an alternate route?

"Honest I was not aware he was in there until I stepped through the door". Then it just happened, BANG! BANG!

Peace..

Ha,Ha! In other words, I THINK you are saying, a well-spun phraseology is just as important to carry as a gun. The gun protects you from criminals. The phraseology protects you from the police and courts.

I.E., carry both...and know how to use both!

Well, FWIW if it were me and my home. I would have just call the LEO's and watched from the street."with gun in hand of course" I keep loaded wepons in my home. So I would have know way of knowing if the perp had one of his own or one of mine. Either way the 'stuff ' is not worth the risk of walking in on this guy and getting shot.

I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this was mentioned.
You drive up to your driveway and see a strange car plus the side door is broken into.
You go into your house to get the bad guy...no wait, to get the two bad guys. nope they needed even more help to carry out all your good stuff so there are 3 bad guys and for good measure one extra just to keep watch! Still think it's a good idea to go into your house? (of course things change if you know there are family members in the house at risk from the BGs.) Calling 911 is still a great idea before you enter. Hope you get my point. Just for the fun of it how about flattening one or two of their tires right after you call 911? Or just before.

i didn't read all the posts so i don't know if this was mentioned.
You drive up to your driveway and see a strange car plus the side door is broken into.
You go into your house to get the bad guy...no wait, to get the two bad guys. Nope they needed even more help to carry out all your good stuff so there are 3 bad guys and for good measure one extra just to keep watch! Still think it's a good idea to go into your house? (of course things change if you know there are family members in the house at risk from the bgs.) calling 911 is still a great idea before you enter. Hope you get my point. Just for the fun of it how about flattening one or two of their tires right after you call 911? Or just before.

great post!!!!

No no. What I'm trying to say is that the purpose of a CCW is for personal protection of "self." The right to bear arms was not intended to protect a house, but the individuals within it. Therefore, if I were to suspect a BG is burglarizing my home, the goal is to ensure my own safety (in the scenario where I am the only resident of the home). In order to do this, I would not go barging in to investigate - putting myself in harms way when I do not have to.

The homeowner had the right to walk into his home even while being burglarized. I agree with you. However, just because you have the means, doesn't mean you should. The homeowner made the decision to go into his home while it appeared that it was being burglarized - knowing that he might have to use lethal force. At this understanding, the homeowner is no longer protecting himself, but rather, his house. IF the homeowner had the intentions of protecting himself, he would not have went in the house. With that being said, the purpose of a CCW is for personal protection of "self." The homeowner went above and beyond what was necessary to protect himself, therefore, he might be charged with excessive force.

I have experience and training in clearing facilities and I would have never taken the course of action the homeowner took (which would be "being a lone ranger"). He could not be certain how many intruders were actually in the home, if they were armed or better armed than himself, or well seasoned. Too many unknowns..

I dont agree with you , I have my CCW to protect my self and my property ...

IMO, to make ANY statement to the police after a shooting in ANY scenario is foolish and irresponsible unless you want to be sued or imprisoned. Consult your attorney first before answering any questions. Even if you feel it is a legitimate shoot you may be liable in some way. A gent in Charlotte was waiting in the drive through when the bank was robbed. The perp came running out and was going to commandeer his truck. The driver shot him dead then and there. He came perfectly clear but had to go through lots of legal trouble. Be sure it is a legit shoot before pulling the trigger. And then be quiet till advice from counsel.

IMO, to make ANY statement to the police after a shooting in ANY scenario is foolish and irresponsible unless you want to be sued or imprisoned. Consult your attorney first before answering any questions. Even if you feel it is a legitimate shoot you may be liable in some way. A gent in Charlotte was waiting in the drive through when the bank was robbed. The perp came running out and was going to commandeer his truck. The driver shot him dead then and there. He came perfectly clear but had to go through lots of legal trouble. Be sure it is a legit shoot before pulling the trigger. And then be quiet till advice from counsel.

Does N.C. not have the Castle Doctrine? In S.C., we are protected from Criminal and civil action if our home or car.

Several of us are hot on the trail of pushing the Castle Doctrin Senate Bill 928 out of committee. Do you know this person at the bank well enough to ask them to come to Raleigh and meet with the committee at the legislature. If not can I research his case, that should be public record. Debra Ross (chairman) needs to hear the other side of the story.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back