Navajo Nation gun laws?

I live in Arizona and according to Indian Reservation Laws you Are Not allowed to carry any CC Firearm whether you have a CCW or not. However as long as you stay on the interstate highway you will be legal with a CCW. I just took the test on Arizona State CCW and Indian Reservation Laws, the main thing to know is, if there is a sign posted NO FIREARMS you best not have any Firearms on the Reservation for you will be arrested.

My son in law works for Indian Services down in Southern Utah. I talked to a deputy down there and asked him the law on concealed carry. He said "Lock it away when on the reservation or you could lose it" . He said it just depends on who stops you and you have no decent recourse.

Carry at your own risk.

I must apologize for posting this in the Arizona forum....but, what the hell.....

I am really glad that in Washington State tribal laws do not apply to non-Indians, even while on the reservation. They can enforce Washington State laws upon non-Indians and forward citations to the Washington State court with jurisdiction for prosecution (and tribal police, if qualified, can do so even off the reservation), but they cannot enforce their tribal laws upon non-Indians. The most they can do is tell you to leave the reservation and you will be trespassing if you do not.

Tribal Law

Native American reservations, which comprise over a quarter of the land area of the state,[11] may have gun laws identical to or more restrictive than state law.[12][13] Some tribal governments in Arizona may not recognize Arizona law on the concealed carrying of firearms without a permit while on tribal land.[13]

All Arizona tribes recognize federal law, including the "safe passage" provision of the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act Act (FOPA). FOPA provides that, notwithstanding any state, tribal, or local law, and while making a continuous journey, a person who is not a prohibited possessor is entitled to transport a firearm or ammunition for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm or ammunition if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.

[14] In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm or ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[14] Recent U.S. Court of Appellate rulings have confirmed that FOPA`s protections only apply to unloaded firearms not readily accessible to the traveler, and many tribal governments have strict laws with respect to firearms being carried or transported on tribal lands.[14][15][15][16] For example, in the event of a vehicle stop,

Navajo Nation police will seize any loaded firearm found to be accessible to the driver or passenger.[15][16][17] and confiscated firearms are not returnable unless the owner can establish proof of ownership of the firearm and ammunition by presenting a bill of sale or other evidence at the police station at a later date.

[17] National Geographic, Navajo Cops, Season 255, Episode 30, 11 May 2011

This is the way the law is written, one can second guess, check with other states, move words for one's own benefits, the bottom line is this is the law. I live in Arizona and I go by the law set up by Federal, State and Indian Reservation and Jail is not an option for me, especially Reservation Justice.

If you still have questions: Navajo Parks and Recreation Department
Window Rock Central Office
P.O. Box 2520
Window Rock, AZ 86515
tel: 928.871.6647
fax: 928.871.6637

Cameron Visitor Center
P.O. Box 459
Cameron, AZ 86020
tel : 928.679.2303
fax:928.679.2017
email: [email protected]

Notes:
(11)See e.g. Navajo Nation, Navajo Nation Government, retrieved 31 October 2011
All about Arizona. Sheppard Software: Fun free online learning games and activities for kids.. Accessed 2010-09-21. Link Removed

(12) All about Arizona Sheppard Software: Fun free online learning games and activities for kids.

(13) Tribal Laws and Concealed Carry, retrieved 31 October 2011: While tribal laws on criminal firearms violations apply only to tribal members who live on reservation lands, they are still used as a guide to enforcement by tribal police for non-tribal members. If you are visitor to a reservation and are carrying a firearm in a manner that would otherwise be legal under Arizona law, such legal possession may not be recognized by tribal law enforcement if it conflicts with tribal law. Instead of arrest, tribal law enforcement will most likely confiscate the firearm and require the owner to go to tribal court to get it back.

(15) http://www.nndfw.org/2011_12proclamation.pdf

(16) Firearm Owners Protection Act, retrieved 31 October 2011
Navajo Nation Hunting and Trapping Information: It is unlawful to possess a firearm with live ammunition in the firing chamber in or on any motor vehicle.."
Navajo Nation Criminal Code: Unlawful carrying of deadly weapon T.17 - Section 320(A): Offense. A person commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon if he or she carries a loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon; (B): Exceptions. Subsection (A) of this section shall not apply to any of the following: ...2. To persons in private motor vehicle or other means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property, while traveling and such weapon is located in a closed trunk, luggage, or glove compartment of a motor vehicle

(17) National Geographic, Navajo Cops, Season 255, Episode 30, 11 May 2011

I am a non-Navajo working for the Navajo tribe. Frequently travel long distances across the rez. The Navajo tribe prohibits all firearms in all buildings and tribal vehicles - except for LEOs of course.

When on the rez in my own vehicle I carry and for me the secret is to obey the speed limit so I don't get pulled over in the first place. Only been pulled over twice by Navajo police. One asked me if I had firearms on board - that trip I did not. The other Navajo LEO never even asked. I have been pulled over a few times on the rez by Arizona DPS and always notified them I was carrying and they seemed unconcerned...in fact chatted about the various firearms without asking to see them. One Arizona DPS officer said, "You're not gonna shoot me are you?" Told him of course not and he said, "Okay then."

On the Navajo rez you're not gonna be pulled over if you obey the speed limits in the first place. If Arizona DPS pulls you over you're okay. If Navajo PD pulls you over its gonna depend on the officer. If you're non-Navajo they won't put you in the Navajo jails.

Seems to me like it would be beneficial just to keep your mouth shut about a firearm if they don't ask. Why extend an invitation for trouble? "Oh, btw officer, I have this gun here that you might want to take from me if you are so inclined..."

Seems to me like it would be beneficial just to keep your mouth shut about a firearm if they don't ask. Why extend an invitation for trouble? "Oh, btw officer, I have this gun here that you might want to take from me if you are so inclined..."

A I have read all the answers to this question and it seems to me everyone knows the law but are still willing to take the once in a lifetime of being caught. Like the LCRD states keep your mouth shut.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back