National Park concealed carry restored

gvaldeg1

NRA Member
Concealed carry in National Parks which had been passed by the Bush Administration and the blocked by an injunction, issued by a Federal Judge, will be restored as soon as Obama signs the credit card bill that was passed today by the House:

Link Removed

The House voted separately on the pro-gun Nat'l Parks carry Amendment which was introduced, and passed, in the Senate by Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma. Many thanks to Sen. Coburn, the GOA, and the NRA both of whom spearheaded this effort!

Someone pinch me to see if I am awake. We get the credit card companies under some control and gun allowed in parks too. I must be dreaming.

Of course the evening news made it out to be the most dangerous law ever enacted. "LOADED guns in National Parks?!?".

Great news. I live right next to a National Park, travel it often. Now I do not have to leave my sidearm at home when I go up there. Damn good news.:biggrin:

It's not just "Concealed Carry". For years, people were forbidden to even possess a firearm in any National Park. Many folks who had guns unloaded and locked in the trunk, had their guns confiscated and not returned by the Park Service. Those who were camping or sleeping in tents at night, traveling in RV's, even riding through the park with a firearm in the vehicle, were forbidden to have any form of protection. So it's not just CCW. But all of those folks who had to travel on road trips can now have a gun in the car, without fear of arrest and confiscation. I confess that I violated that regulation a couple of times, when traveling with my family and stopped to see The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore. I'll be damned if I was going to travel across the country, sleep in hotels in areas unknown to me, eat in restaurants in a city with a high crime rate and not be able to protect and defend my family, only because I was violating a regulation when my family wanted to stop and see the Grand Canyon.

I had vowed to NEVER visit another National Park, as long as this ban was imposed on me. I wrote letters to the Park Service, politicians and anyone that would listen. I even sent letters to travel agents, Triple A, and anyone else who booked, provided information or even suggested a National Park as a destination for fun, leisure and vacations.
So now if you are allowed by that state to have a firearm in the vehicle, or your CCW permit is recognized, you may have the gun as if you were in that state, and do not have to abandon your gun rights simply because you cross a line into a "National Park". Those National Parks that just happen to be owned, paid for, funded, maintained and staffed by the taxpaying citizen

Remember this law doesn't take effect until February 2010. Until then they have stated they will continue to enforce the no gun law.

Remember this law doesn't take effect until February 2010. Until then they have stated they will continue to enforce the no gun law.

And until then I will continue to enforce my don't spend any money at the National Parks policy.

In the meantime, I think that we should push to have the nonsensical injunction imposed by DC Judge Colleen Kotar-Kotelly "quashed". I have emailed the NRA-ILA and expressed my thoughts on this matter. If the injunction is lifted, then when the new law takes effect, you'll kind of have it both ways if you have a CCW. You'll be able to carry "as you like" within the limitations of the two laws. In the interim, if you have a CCW, you'll be able to carry until the new law takes effect which is February 2010.

In the meantime, I think that we should push to have the nonsensical injunction imposed by DC Judge Colleen Kotar-Kotelly "quashed". I have emailed the NRA-ILA and expressed my thoughts on this matter. If the injunction is lifted, then when the new law takes effect, you'll kind of have it both ways if you have a CCW. You'll be able to carry "as you like" within the limitations of the two laws. In the interim, if you have a CCW, you'll be able to carry until the new law takes effect which is February 2010.

While it is a worthy cause to push for lifting of the injunction I don't believe that will happen. I just wanted to remind those who may run out to the parks this Memorial Day weekend that the no gun law is still in place. I just didn't want anyone to get in trouble.

Remember though: this new law doesn't go into effect until Feb. 2010.

Of course, that only effects those of us who haven't violated the no guns law as it stands now. I'll be damned if I don't have some sort of defense on me.

As for Jersey, that state will come around eventually. Might be a long time, but it'll come around.

What worries me, is that will give them plenty of time to figure out how to skirt around the law and make "common sense" regulations for you while in the National Park. I'll just bet they are trying to figure out ways to make you jump through hoops and follow enough regulations to where it won't matter anyway. That is, if I know the bureaucrats in our Government and the Park Service.

A sign like "ALL FIREARMS MUST BE REGISTERED WITH THE PARK RANGER BEFORE ENTERING". Sure Mr. Jones, just let us lock your firearm with this trigger lock, submit your fingerprints, do your background check, run your serial number through our data base, and you and your family will be able to be on your way to enjoy the park in about 4 to 5 hours.

Thank you OK

Oklahoma Senator Cox, can play the same game as the liberals in congress. He attached the N'tl Park carry legislation to a bill that has nothing to do with guns, but a bill that he knew the lacy liberals wanted to pass very badly. Sho 'nuff they passed it! Thank You Dr. Cox

Oklahoma Senator Cox, can play the same game as the liberals in congress. He attached the N'tl Park carry legislation to a bill that has nothing to do with guns, but a bill that he knew the lacy liberals wanted to pass very badly. Sho 'nuff they passed it! Thank You Dr. Cox

It was actually Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn. If you want to thank someone, please thank the right guy. Senator Coburn's email is:

Link Removed

I already thanked him for myself but I'm sure that he'd like to hear from you all. He's a great guy and a tireless supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights.

Now, we need to press to have the current injunction on concealed carry lifted or quashed. The NRA and GOA are working on this and, if that occurs, those of us with CCWs will be able to carry concealed in Parks until the new law goes into affect in Feb 2010.

It doesn't go into effect until Feb 2010. Its tied to the credit card reform bill and BO signed them together as is. So it doesn't take effect until the credit card reform does which is Feb 2010. I've heard someone is trying to seperate them so it can become effective now, but I'll have to research that some before I can say for sure.

It doesn't go into effect until Feb 2010. Its tied to the credit card reform bill and BO signed them together as is. So it doesn't take effect until the credit card reform does which is Feb 2010. I've heard someone is trying to seperate them so it can become effective now, but I'll have to research that some before I can say for sure.

Tell you what...I'll save you some time. The effective date applies to the whole Bill including all of its Amendments. You can't separate line items from bills and even if you did, it would have the original effective date. If you want to see something happen before Feb 2010 viz-a-viz carry in National Parks, hope that the current injunction get lifted. See what I said above.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back