National CCW permit??

If I understand correctly this HR 197 bill has not been voted down ? i thought it failed a passing vote my @ votes ? was that another bill ?? i am brand new here and hoping a national ccw bill would soon pass.
I just started ( about a month ago) to follow this bill on Govtrack.us and it seems to be gaining sponsers. How many sponsers will it need to pass ?
any info on this bill would be helpfull

Don't recall what bill it was but it was a national reciprocity bill that went to vote last year and I believe it needed at 2/3 majority and failed by 2 lousy votes. Am I off base here or dreaming or what? Comments? Makes me crazy. I am a US citizen born in NY and have been living north of Buffalo for some time in Kanada. I have a US passport and am also a Kanadian citizen now as well. Both passports. NEXUS border cards for the whole family (means we've been background checked to the nth degree). Have carry permits from about a half dozen states as non resident. But cannot get carry permits nor are my permits valid in several states. Aggravation. After the Heller decision FL invited me to reapply for a non resident permit and they changed their statutes but the statutes are sorta unclear. You need to be a US citizen and resident in the USA. Well, when I apply I WILL BE resident in the USA travelling about as we are retired and that's what we tend to do. But wouldn't it be so much easier to just have a national reciprocity law and wouldn't it be great if our politicians considered ANY citizen of the USA to be one of "We the People"?

I will go along with things like "you can't cry fire falsely in a crowded theater" stuff; i.e. no felons, no whackos, no druggies, etc., but for upstanding members of "We the People" our constitutional rights should really be respected. (Doh. I forgot. That's only on Sesame Street.)

I'm personally against a National CC license, that means it would be run by the Fedl Govt, and we know how well they do with things. They can't even hardly get passports out. Also, that would amount to a federal registration of gun owners of sorts, and they could modify, amend, and change the rules at any time they wanted...

Do we want Eric Holder (the anti of anti's ) in charge of that ?

We want the feds to pass a national reciprocity bill. We do not want them to run everything nor do they run things like driver license testing and so on. But there is national reciprocity. That's all.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever been out of your home state except for military service?

Lack of knowledge of laws is no excuse. If you cant keep up with a few laws you probably should not be carrying in the first place. Currently states have many different requirements for carry and some states have nearly banned it.

Seems to me he IS trying to "keep up with a few laws"...thats why he is asking the question,to be pointed in the right direction for the answers...kinda why we ALL are here on this forum.

We want the feds to pass a national reciprocity bill. We do not want them to run everything nor do they run things like driver license testing and so on. . .. That's all.

Agreed.
P.S. don't look to keenly at this latest Obamacare bill or you will see the anti-gun provisions being set up.

TWO Words "States Rights"!!!! Although a National CCP would be convenient, this also would allow the FED's to again trample on the governing States.:hang3:

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

The Feds don't have the powers granted to them in the Constitution to issue such a thing, and to cover all states that's the only way to do it...

The Feds have already done this.

Your national right to carry permit is attached below.

bill_of_rights_630.jpg

I'm personally against a National CC license, that means it would be run by the Fedl Govt, and we know how well they do with things. They can't even hardly get passports out. Also, that would amount to a federal registration of gun owners of sorts, and they could modify, amend, and change the rules at any time they wanted...

DISagree strongly.
We are looking for nothing more than the modifications in MD that their HB52 institutes; it states simply that the adjacents states, having issued a concealed carry permit (which we all agree should not be required in any event under the constitution but that's another discussion), that permit is recognized by MD.

A ONE LINER, pure and simple. No regulations. No registrations. No nothing. Just reciprocity. And by the way, that bill is hopefully heading to the floor of the House of Delegates rather than into committee. Every Republican has signed onto the petition to have that done and a few Democrats as well, which is a great sign and a huge change in their state 'policy' on reciprocity as you know.

HB52 (which I took the time to write to every single delegate about) will give reciprocity to holders of CCW permits in VA, PA and DEL. That is all. But it is a step in the right direction.

A 'national' reciprocity bill, similar to HB52's intent, would be ideal. Check out the MD websites.

As far as passports are concerned, I applied for mine while on a short vacation at a random post office in NY state and it was in my mailbox when I got home.

It the Feds had jurisdiction over carry permits, we could all lose them by one single bill. The administration is already working hard to dismantle our freedoms, so this would never be a good idea. IMHO of course...

to all,

i STRONGLY suspect that when the next USSC decision on guns "comes down', the decision will essentially order ALL the jurisdictions to accept ANY CCW issued anywhere in the nation, under the 14th Amendment.

even the "antis" are accepting the fact that the USSC is going to apply the "full faith & credit provisions" of the Constitution & the 14th to everyone.- they aren't (of course) happy about it, but as essentially all the law professors say that it will happen, it's likely a "done deal" within 3-6 months.

just my opinion.

yours, TN46

Lack of knowledge of laws is no excuse. If you cant keep up with a few laws you probably should not be carrying in the first place. Currently states have many different requirements for carry and some states have nearly banned it.

Well, that's B.S. of the first order!! Maybe you are a walking encyclopedia, but most of us mere mortals aren't!
There is NO way a person can know all of the laws in all of the states. They are too conflicting with each other.
And I guarantee YOU don't know them all either!

I agree with you 100%.

Quite simply..and it is simple...the States just have to be sued enough to make reciprocity a fact of life. If someone is traveling from Alabama to California, and gets in a spot of trouble for carrying, they just sue under Second Amendment rights, and have the Supreme Court UPHOLD the CONSTITUTION for a change! We don't need a discussion of ANOTHER law to be passed, when we ALREADY have a law on the books, for crying out loud. It's called the Second Amendment!

The LAST thing you want these clowns in power now doing is having ANYTHING to do with gun laws! I don't want the FED GOV'T involved in much of anything in my life that isn't a required power of theirs under the Constitution. Their job is to protect out nation. My job is to protect my family! I don't need, nor want, their help.

I am pleased that I have a license to carry my weapon. I would like to see a law that will let me carry it in states other than GA. or in states that accept the GA license. I honestly believe that this will take time. It is my belief that if you and I support groups like that of the NRA it will happen. However, once they take the right to carry away from me and from others who have a permit to carry it makes it very wrong! That is when we need to stand together and fight for our right to carry!

Now you want a National CCW permit issued and controled by the Federal Government. As an exercise take all the states and put them in order from most difficult to get a CCW right now to easiest. The Feds are not going to go to the Vermont or Alaska style but rather somewhere toward the majority. Remember this is going to have to pass the House and Senate.

The Senate has 435 members so we will have to get 218 to approve it probably according to what their state laws are. This meas that the following states are going to decide what the CCW permit will require and how it will be restricted.
# of Reps Running Total
52 California 52
31 New York 83
30 Texas 113
23 Florida 136
21 Pennsylvania 157
20 Illinois 177
19 Ohio 196
16 Michigan 212
13 New Jersey 225

So check out the requirements for these states to see what your CCW will be like. :)

Dont look all that bad to me.MI FL Tx Oh.Not sure about Jersey, but from what I have heard it getting better there too. And if things keep going the way they are in this country, the republicans will do what ever the people want in 2012 when they take over.Might just be our best chance for one.

Well, that's B.S. of the first order!! Maybe you are a walking encyclopedia, but most of us mere mortals aren't!
There is NO way a person can know all of the laws in all of the states. They are too conflicting with each other.
And I guarantee YOU don't know them all either!

I haven't even bothered to read where this tangent of the hijacked thread took off from........

I strongly disagree with your suggestion that one cannot know the laws of all the states because, in a nutshell my compatriate, you MUST MUST MUST know the laws of each and every state that you are travelling through if you are going to want to carry concealed in that state. Period. End of story.

Ever hear the saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse?". Well, I can tell you it is right on the spot.

If you are travelling, do NOT bother buying a book of state laws. That book is pure bullcrap.

You need up to the second state information and that means that you need to travel, believe it or not, with a laptop! We do a lot of travelling and we take our laptop and a data stick just in case the hotel doesn't have data available.

YOU MUST know the laws and the CURRENT laws of every state you will drive through, even for a moment, and you MUST obey them. THAT IS THE LAW OF THE LAND!

To suggest that one does not need to keep abreast of each state's laws is putting the members of this forum at risk of arrest and incarceration. Carrying a concealed weapon in most every state is a felony and there will be no sense of humour about it I can assure you. If you are not able to carry in a given state you need a lockbox in your trunk and you need to know how to transport your weapon through that state.

If able to carry concealed in a given state you need to know the laws of that state as to where you may or may not carry and the requirements (for example, there are still some states that require a maximum of ten round magazines for handguns).

Yes, I am afraid that you DO need to know the laws of each and every state that you intend to travel through and if you play with fire you can expect to get your fingers burned, your gun(s) and your CCW permit confiscated, spend a bunch of money on lawyers and bail and in the end either pay a hefty fine or spend some time stamping automobile license plates.

Please do not presume to give advice on this forum if you have no clue as to what you are saying! You do both yourself and the members of this forum a grave disservice by doing so and put them in harm's way.

Even if a national reciprocity law takes effect it is very likely that such things as prohibited carry places will remain in effect in each individual state.

Dont look all that bad to me.MI FL Tx Oh.Not sure about Jersey, but from what I have heard it getting better there. And if things keep going the way they are in this country, the republicans will do what ever the people want in 2012 when they take over.Might just be our best chance for one.

That running total is a bunch of malarky. We missed the last vote by only 2 and we required a 2/3 majority I believe in order for the national reciprocity bill to pass.

You can take PA off the list as well as they already recognize pretty much everyone's permits.

Getting real serious here; we are a hair's breadth away from this national reciprocity bill, which will likely be an amendment to some pork belly bill and a one liner.

Even if on its own it will be short and sweet. My prediction is that we will see one within the next 5 years.

I haven't even bothered to read where this tangent of the hijacked thread took off from........

I strongly disagree with your suggestion that one cannot know the laws of all the states because, in a nutshell my compatriate, you MUST MUST MUST know the laws of each and every state that you are travelling through if you are going to want to carry concealed in that state. Period. End of story.

Ever hear the saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse?". Well, I can tell you it is right on the spot.

If you are travelling, do NOT bother buying a book of state laws. That book is pure bullcrap.

You need up to the second state information and that means that you need to travel, believe it or not, with a laptop! We do a lot of travelling and we take our laptop and a data stick just in case the hotel doesn't have data available.

YOU MUST know the laws and the CURRENT laws of every state you will drive through, even for a moment, and you MUST obey them. THAT IS THE LAW OF THE LAND!

To suggest that one does not need to keep abreast of each state's laws is putting the members of this forum at risk of arrest and incarceration. Carrying a concealed weapon in most every state is a felony and there will be no sense of humour about it I can assure you. If you are not able to carry in a given state you need a lockbox in your trunk and you need to know how to transport your weapon through that state.

If able to carry concealed in a given state you need to know the laws of that state as to where you may or may not carry and the requirements (for example, there are still some states that require a maximum of ten round magazines for handguns).

Yes, I am afraid that you DO need to know the laws of each and every state that you intend to travel through and if you play with fire you can expect to get your fingers burned, your gun(s) and your CCW permit confiscated, spend a bunch of money on lawyers and bail and in the end either pay a hefty fine or spend some time stamping automobile license plates.

Please do not presume to give advice on this forum if you have no clue as to what you are saying! You do both yourself and the members of this forum a grave disservice by doing so and put them in harm's way.

Even if a national reciprocity law takes effect it is very likely that such things as prohibited carry places will remain in effect in each individual state.

"I haven't even bothered to read where this tangent of the hijacked thread took off from........"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

That's obvious by your reply. Maybe you should go back and read it.

What I am saying is that I bet nobody is familiar with ALL the laws of each state. And I'll stand by that quote. I didn't say you don't need to know the laws when you are carrying in the state. You read that into my statement, and you were incorrect. If you are going to chew me out, at least do me the favor of reading the entire thread, AND understanding what I wrote before putting your fingers into motion on the keyboard.

The poster to whom I was replying stated that if you are going to carry, it shouldn't bother you to have to know ALL the different laws in each state, and that is a small price to pay to be able to carry. He inferred that the poster he was replying to was a cry baby, and lazy, in that he didn't want to be bothered with knowing the laws. The poster "inferred" by that statement that HE,the poster, knew them ALL! He didn't say that, but his inference was THAT, clearly. I took issue with that statement, as I, or anyone else, should.

While I respect each State's right to govern as it sees fit, I will admit that some take it to the extreme. But I would rather have that problem, than having to give away my rights and have a National Gun Permit that tells you where and when you can carry....and IF you can.

NOW, does that clear it up some for you?

APOLOGIES. No insult intended. Only clarification for the masses. I suppose I have become shell-shocked to the number of posts of hearsay and BS misinforming the masses or just giving plain bad information and it seems that yours was not one of them. Apologies.

There is nothing as important in carrying concealed as knowing what your legal rights and obligations are and the only way to do that is with up to the second information. We happened to be travelling when Nevada decided to stop recognizing half of our permits (we have several permits just to be safe while travelling and will pick up several more as we travel through the states that require in-state education before issuing same... silliness but what control do we have?).

I am a strong believer that either a SCOTUS ruling on interstate recognition or on non-requirement of a permit at all; or a simple one liner attached to a pork belly in federal terms mandating mutual recognition the same as drivers licenses would be appropriate, while staying out of state's business' as far as that states requirements for issuing of their own permit is concerned... a gentle line to walk indeed but one that is long overdue.

Again, my apologies. I need to start taking the time to read the whole thread. Haste makes waste.

"I haven't even bothered to read where this tangent of the hijacked thread took off from........"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

That's obvious by your reply. Maybe you should go back and read it.

What I am saying is that I bet nobody is familiar with ALL the laws of each state. And I'll stand by that quote. I didn't say you don't need to know the laws when you are carrying in the state. You read that into my statement, and you were incorrect. If you are going to chew me out, at least do me the favor of reading the entire thread, AND understanding what I wrote before putting your fingers into motion on the keyboard.

The poster to whom I was replying stated that if you are going to carry, it shouldn't bother you to have to know ALL the different laws in each state, and that is a small price to pay to be able to carry. He inferred that the poster he was replying to was a cry baby, and lazy, in that he didn't want to be bothered with knowing the laws. The poster "inferred" by that statement that HE,the poster, knew them ALL! He didn't say that, but his inference was THAT, clearly. I took issue with that statement, as I, or anyone else, should.

While I respect each State's right to govern as it sees fit, I will admit that some take it to the extreme. But I would rather have that problem, than having to give away my rights and have a National Gun Permit that tells you where and when you can carry....and IF you can.

NOW, does that clear it up some for you?

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back