My younger sister recenlty got approached by a thug

kingofthedemo

Well, I'm trying to find a good carry pistol for my younger sister, she just turned 21, and she goes to College out of state.

She walks most places and recently she had a shady looking guy ,driving a ghetto mobile, approach her as she was walking home from church at night, thank God he didn't harm her but she felt very alarmed, he actually stopped his car and started walking towards her making comments trying to attract her. She just ingnored him and walked away, but after hearing this story I convinced her to get her CCW permit, now I'm trying to find a good gun for her. I'm considering the S&W 642, 38 Special, or maybe the Ruger LCP, what do you guys think? Any input would be very helpful.

Although I love my LCP (and my Kel-Tec P-3AT which is pretty much the same gun), for a first time weapon it is hard to beat an airweight .38 (or even a .357 if you want a bit more punch). Simple, dependable and with no bells or whistles to learn, then she can work her way up to an automatic as her collection grows (and we all know it will).

Definitely S&W

Definitely point her toward the S&W snubbies. There are many to choose from. I have a hammerless 340PD Scandium chambered for .357. I shoot it with .38 SPCL, but carry with .357.....You won't notice the .357 when Mr Adrenaline (Mrs in this case) kicks in! I would go with any of those airweights. However, if she doesn't go with the .357 Mag, you might want to at least be sure it is +P rated 38SPCL.

Getting her a gun is one thing and you're to be commended for that. But you didn't mention training and I think that is of the utmost importance. You should consider helping her to get some serious training (beyond that required for the CCW) after her gun purchase. Just my .02 cents.

Agree...on both her being armed and being trained. A simple .38 (I recommend a Mdl. 60 or equivalent. Stainless steel - less maintenance for the novice) "point 'n' pull" is less complicated for the newer shooter and all but guaranteed to go 'bang' with a minimum of participation on the part of the user. Besides, most women (probably your sister, too) are more slightly built, so the small frame of the 60 is well suited. Then, too, there's a certain "snot" factor in presenting a snub-nose revolver with confidence and authority that could defuse a situation without her ever having to fire a shot.

That's the hope, anyway.

Yeah I agree with you guys 100% concerning training, I like to think that I know a few things about firearms and I was planning on taking her to the range while she's in town for Christmas break, I think that you guys are right about the simplicity of a revolver, thanks for the reasurance.

What experience does she have?

If she is new to handguns, starting with a nice carry gun, a light weight 38 will probably set her back months. Better to get her training first before you buy anything. The application process will take 2 month on average, plenty of time to develop some basic skills. And to pick a gun.

I would actually suggest a good .22LR as a first purchase. It can be carried when she has her license. It is cheap to shoot and she needs to shoot to develop good habits.
A flinch is almost a guaranteed habit for a new shooter with a J frame 38.

Don't know where she is located, but there should be an experienced instructor, perhaps even a female like Patti Stoneking in Bonner Springs, KS.

We all know she should have that 1911 or Glock or HK or what ever,,, but maybe a LCR or even a .22 Taurus snub is what she needs now. Next year she'll want something else.

I would say go with the Smith revolver. Small and light so it is easy to carry and conceal. No hammer so nothing to snag and can even be fired from inside a coat pocket. Also it is simple to master. Being a light gun I would start with a light load for her to get used to it. No +p ammo at least to begin with.

The 642 is a great revolver. Start her with regular .38 then move her up to +p. You never have to worry about jams with a revolver.

She just ingnored him and walked away, but after hearing this story I convinced her to get her CCW permit, now I'm trying to find a good gun for her. I'm considering the S&W 642, 38 Special, or maybe the Ruger LCP, what do you guys think? Any input would be very helpful.

Respectfully-

I think you may be making a big mistake. It seems to me that you're more involved in her safety than she is. If she had to be talked into a CCW its not a good sign. You will not be there to talk her into pulling the trigger. I think you need to have a serious talk with her and figure out if this is something she wants- or something you want for her.

My fiancee is the same way- she likes the idea of having a weapon but not willing to purchase one (i've more than offered to buy for her). As soon as she said "I don't think I could use it" I dropped the whole idea...

She needs to make a decision for herself- and not be "sold" on the idea, she also needs to pick out her own weapon. But to answer your question check out the Taurus Milennium series..

Respectfully-

I think you may be making a big mistake. It seems to me that you're more involved in her safety than she is. If she had to be talked into a CCW its not a good sign. You will not be there to talk her into pulling the trigger. I think you need to have a serious talk with her and figure out if this is something she wants- or something you want for her.

My fiancee is the same way- she likes the idea of having a weapon but not willing to purchase one (i've more than offered to buy for her). As soon as she said "I don't think I could use it" I dropped the whole idea...

She needs to make a decision for herself- and not be "sold" on the idea, she also needs to pick out her own weapon. But to answer your question check out the Taurus Milennium series..

Yes I see your point. But maybe I gave you the wrong immpression. It was initially my idea for her to get the CCW, but she took interest in the idea and it's something that she really wants to do for herself, some of her girlfriends are getting theirs as well, and it wasn't something that she was opposed to at all, I was just the one to educate her on the process of getting a CCW. But I will admit that being her big brother I want her to be safe.

Captainkerosine has a good point. Take her shooting and start small, then let her decide which gun she wants.

One thing she could put to immediate use while she waits on her CCW is some instruction on avoidance. I live in a college town and I'm always seeing young women walking alone through sketchy parts of town or otherwise putting themselves in harm's way. Not that your sister was doing anyhting foolish when she was accosted, but there are lots of tricks and tips for avoiding those nasty encounters.

CinSC

Yes I see your point. But maybe I gave you the wrong immpression. It was initially my idea for her to get the CCW, but she took interest in the idea and it's something that she really wants to do for herself, some of her girlfriends are getting theirs as well, and it wasn't something that she was opposed to at all, I was just the one to educate her on the process of getting a CCW. But I will admit that being her big brother I want her to be safe.

I must have misinterpreted as it sounded like she was reluctant. Good stuff- I stand by my Taurus Millennium recommendation lol

What state is she in and does that state allow handguns on campus?? Some states (FL) allow students, faculity & staff to carry non-leathal tasers, but otherwise ban handguns.

I cary an LCP, but certainly WOULD NOT RECOMMEND it for an inexperienced shooter. Both Charter Arms and the Ruger LCR make (are) light-weight revolvers. Women will (usually) have a purse - making it 'less of an issue' to conceal the extra 1/4" ~ 3/8" width of a 5 shot .38 Spl +P (vs an LCP).

...I would actually suggest a good .22LR as a first purchase. It can be carried when she has her license. It is cheap to shoot and she needs to shoot to develop good habits...

Kerosene has lit a fire under me with this one.

I think we all think "stopping power" and bigger is better so we tend to think only in those terms but "any gun is better than no gun" and "if you don't shoot it, you won't learn it" are also totally true.

The thought that newbies (and us experienced) can gain a lot by simply shooting makes the recomendation of a .22 not only logical but damn near mandatory.

I shoot a lot of "airsoft" to play in tactical situations but it is not a replacement for live fire, especially since it does not have the "bang". But I also realize with the cost of ammo these days (ranges here do not allow reloads, you have to buy their ammo) I shoot a lot less than I used to. But a .22LR WOULD actually allow me to shoot a lot more and a .22 revolver WOULD make a great "demo" gun to bring new people into the sport.

Oh well ... guess I need to get out of here and go holiday shopping ... FOR ME!

My advice is the same as I give everyone. Go to a gun show, or at least a store, handle as many as possible. When she has 2 or 3 she likes, rent them (many ranges rent firearms) and shoot them. Let her make the decision on which gun she likes.
For the caliber, she should carry the largest she can comfortably shoot. If it is a .22 great, if it is a 9mm or .38, fine, a 357 or .45 wonderful, 44 mag, probably a bit too large to caryy :) Whatever she is most comfortable with.
How is she going to carry? That is as imprortant as the weapon, if she can't comfortably carry it, she won't.
Revolver or Auto? Revolvers are simpler, autos tend to carry more ammo and are easier to reload, and are also cooler (for most of us) do not underestimate being cool as a training and practice motivator!!! If she doesn't like to shoot, she won't practice.

Train, train, train. Many trainers will assist with equipment selection, so it might even be a good idea to get with a trainer before selecting the weapon.

After she is done training, get her to train some more :)

Father-Daughter bonding

My daughter works late at night and has to drive about half an hour to get home. She carries a taser AND pepper spray, but I took her to the range so she can try out my wife's Rossi .38spl and my m1911. She really liked the .38 (the .45 was a bit much for her to handle) and after she gets a license, she can get one of her own.

What state is she in and does that state allow handguns on campus?? Some states (FL) allow students, faculity & staff to carry non-leathal tasers, but otherwise ban handguns.

I cary an LCP, but certainly WOULD NOT RECOMMEND it for an inexperienced shooter. Both Charter Arms and the Ruger LCR make (are) light-weight revolvers. Women will (usually) have a purse - making it 'less of an issue' to conceal the extra 1/4" ~ 3/8" width of a 5 shot .38 Spl +P (vs an LCP).

She goes to The University of Alabama, so she won't be able to carry the gun on campus, but she lives off campus and walks to Church at night, as well as other social activities to the store ect, so she will be able to carry it to those off campus locations.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back