My younger sister recenlty got approached by a thug

I got my wife a Taurus titanium 38+P 5-shot. It's very light and has one of the smoothest double-action triggers I have ever seen. For simplicity of use you can't beat a revolver. I liked it so much I got one for me for warmer weather when it is hard to conceal a full size auto. I'm able to carry it in shorts using a Galco pocket holster.

She goes to The University of Alabama, so she won't be able to carry the gun on campus, but she lives off campus and walks to Church at night, as well as other social activities to the store ect, so she will be able to carry it to those off campus locations.

Someone a few posts up recommended pepper spray...and I agree. It's good to have when she's not carrying on campus and easy for her to keep in her hand. Even when she is carrying, it might give her that extra few seconds to draw, or run.

Respectfully-

I think you may be making a big mistake. It seems to me that you're more involved in her safety than she is. If she had to be talked into a CCW its not a good sign. You will not be there to talk her into pulling the trigger. I think you need to have a serious talk with her and figure out if this is something she wants- or something you want for her.

My fiancee is the same way- she likes the idea of having a weapon but not willing to purchase one (i've more than offered to buy for her). As soon as she said "I don't think I could use it" I dropped the whole idea...

She needs to make a decision for herself- and not be "sold" on the idea, she also needs to pick out her own weapon. But to answer your question check out the Taurus Milennium series..
This is a good response. Your sister may want to START with training and then decide if she wants to buy a firearm and what make and model. It may be that she needs to begin with course like "Refuse to be a Victim". She could then advance to personal protection inside and outside the home since I assume that she has already had her Basic Pistol instruction. Also if possible, and only if she is interested, take her to a shooting range that will allow her to try different makes, models and calibers.

"She goes to The University of Alabama, so she won't be able to carry the gun on campus, but she lives off campus and walks to Church at night, as well as other social activities to the store ect, so she will be able to carry it to those off campus locations."

As far as I know, Alabama does not prohibit carrying at school. The county sherriff rules, so it may be illegal to carry at UA. I would appreciate more information about the legality of carrying there.

"She goes to The University of Alabama, so she won't be able to carry the gun on campus, but she lives off campus and walks to Church at night, as well as other social activities to the store ect, so she will be able to carry it to those off campus locations."

As far as I know, Alabama does not prohibit carrying at school. The county sherriff rules, so it may be illegal to carry at UA. I would appreciate more information about the legality of carrying there.

From my understanding the vast majority of college's prohibit firearms on campus, but I would like more information about this as well.

How comfortable is she with firearms? How does she perform under pressure?

My wife has done some shooting but doesn't love it. She has fun when she goes but she never craves it. You're not going to find her fiddling with her gun just to learn every nook and cranny of it. When she wants one I'll probably point her towards a small caliber revolver, probably a 9mm or a .380

While I like the idea of her having 15 rounds (read 14 misses) if needed, more important than that is that she can pull it out and make it go bang. I'm more confident that she could do that with a revolver than she could with a semi that she'd most likely carry in condition 3.

Lastly, I'd help her find a gun that SHE likes and that she's excited about. That I think will make all the difference in the world. Do a little bit of info gathering and then drop by a gun store with her. I bet she'll develop some preferences really quickly. You could also take her to a range and let her try out different calibers.

I recommend instruction on avoidance. Pepper spray in non CCW areas. .22 mag revolver such as a Taurus ultralite 941. 9 round 22 LR cylinder & 8 round 22 mag cylinder 22 mag offers low recoil, loud report, & lethality.

My suggestion is get her the biggest caliber she feels comfortable with shooting. Ler her try what u might have in your arsenal and any friends' guns. My 15 yr old daughter (5'6" 140lbs) loves shooting my 40 cal Sigma and out of the chute was hitting bullseyes. And yes, training goes without saying. I wouldn't recommend a .22 unless that's what she likes andfeels comfortable with. Again just my opinion. If your sis is anything like my daughter she'll be hooked in no time.

One good advice I can give is NEVER! NEVER! come home with a gun of your choice for someone else.:no: But then, what do I know? I did not grow up with guns either. But I had moved on to be a proud owner of many since my first one. The feel of metal...the smell of the perfumy oil...ahhhh...now becomes heaven every time I clean my guns. I just love them! A few moons ago, who'd ever think I will?:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back