My wife is traveling to N.Carolina this weekend & wants to carry her pistol, but....

nca_mm

My wife is traveling to N.Carolina this weekend & wants to carry her pistol, but....

....she is not a CWP holder. I just spent the last 45 minutes of my life reading N.C. law on this, as well as going to the handgunlaw.net site. Can one of you N.Carolina citizens please tell me how she can carry her pistol, legally, with her in her car while traveling & also while lodging in N.Carolina?! Thank you very much!!

....she is not a CWP holder. I just spent the last 45 minutes of my life reading N.C. law on this, as well as going to the handgunlaw.net site. Can one of you N.Carolina citizens please tell me how she can carry her pistol, legally, with her in her car while traveling & also while lodging in N.Carolina?! Thank you very much!!
Did you try calling the Sheriffs office of the counties she will be in? I live in WV but have property in NC and I did as you did, reading everything and I also called the county Sheriffs to talk to them. I differ from your wife as I have CWP. I would call them unless someone on here knows more. I know some counties are more anti-gun than others so good luck and I hope you find your answer.

Did you try calling the Sheriffs office of the counties she will be in? I live in WV but have property in NC and I did as you did, reading everything and I also called the county Sheriffs to talk to them. I differ from your wife as I have CWP. I would call them unless someone on here knows more. I know some counties are more anti-gun than others so good luck and I hope you find your answer.

Thanks! Sad, but there are a lot of ingorant/uneduated sheriff's offices. I've actually tried that once (TN), & got completely wrong info.

NC Firearms Laws

North Carolina is an Open Carry state and no carry permit is required. Only if you wish to carry concealed is a CC permit required, but they are only issued by the Sheriff to residents of his/her county. Standard federal and state laws apply regarding the person's right to possess the firearm. She shouldn't have an issue as long as the weapon is carried in a holster in the open (not covered by any clothing) while walking around or in a hotel, or transporting it open on the passengers seat next to her. She just needs to be sure if she is stopped to let any LEO know immediately that she has a firearm. (And keep her hands on the steering wheel when stopped until the officer addresses her). It may be good for her to also bring a container that locks so she can store it in the trunk or very back of the vehicle just in case, but from what I understand from the laws, putting the gun in the glovebox and locking the car suffices. She just needs to immediately lock the car doors when entering or exiting.

On page 22, Section D. Transporting Weapons of the NC Firearms Laws published by the NC Attorney Generals office:

"Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever
vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon,
either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or
out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the weapon
is of prime importance. It is unlawful to transport a weapon (absent a proper permit) that is
BOTH concealed and readily accessible to a person. "

Thus, she must be careful that it cannot be construed by anyone that the weapon is concealed in any manner when traveling by car. Openly carrying it on the passengers seat seems to be ok, but if it is partially covered by a jacket or something else, then it would be considered concealed and within easy reach. She should also be aware of where she cannot carry a gun, such as educational facilities, legislative buildings, bars or restaurants that sell alcohol (hopefully pending legislation will change the restaurant law), or parades/assemblies, etc. (Chapter 14 - Article 35)

NC Firearms Laws: Link Removed

NC G.S. website: North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes - Chapter 14: Criminal Law.

Link Removed
Link Removed

I live in NC. NC is a open carry state. She can carry in her vehicle as long as the gun is visible(open). This means on the passenger seat, dash, console, on her hip holstered. She can also carry most places on her person as long as it is open. NO PERMIT NEEDED. I recommend a retention holster like a Blackhawk serpa.
Carry on!!!

Only way she'll be able to carry w/o a permit is open carry. As for travel, she should keep it locked and inaccessable (ie trunk), otherwise it's considered a conceal carry. North Carolina has reciprocity with 37 other states, issues to both residents and non-residents, and is a 'shall issue' state. My permit took about a month, so too late if yu didn't plan ahead. Not sure at this point why everybody doesn't have a CCW, even if they only plan to use it occaisionally.

She just needs to be sure if she is stopped to let any LEO know immediately that she has a firearm. [/url]
Not necessary if the gun is in the open(it can be seen) If it is concealed and you have a permit than yes you MUST notify.
but from what I understand from the laws, putting the gun in the glovebox and locking the car suffices. [/url]
If she is in the car the this WOULD be concealed and she would need a permit. It is OK to lock it up when exiting the car.

]

The NC gun laws are vague on this point, and even the regulations themselves state this is a vague point. But the best way to carry a firearm in a car in NC is for the gun to be in a locked box, in a seperate part of the vehicle from the ammo AND the driver. If you have a van or pick up, the gun should be in a back section not accessible to the driver, in a locked box. Don't keep the mags with the gun, store them with the ammo, unloaded. As long as the gun is in a locked box, unloaded, and seperate from her and any ammo, she'll be fine. It's not considered a concealed gun because it's seperated from her and the ammo and mags.
Where do you get your info? NC doesn't recognize a loaded or unloaded gun. The best way to carry a gun in NC without a permit is on the passenger seat, full mag with one in the pipe. Who needs a paper weight in the trunk.

In the car, in plain sight, i.e. on the front passenger seat or dashboard. Otherwise it should be inaccessible to the driver or passenger. Loaded or unloaded makes no difference.

Outside of the car, on her hip not concealed by jacket or similar.

Yeah, in the short future I would try to get her to go for here CHL. Be safe, the wife and I are planning on going back there, I'm from there but don't live there but my CHL is good in N.C.

Despite being shall issue, the sheer number of off limits places in North Carolina (more than 20, I believe) makes it one of the worst to carry in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Despite being shall issue, the sheer number of off limits places in North Carolina (more than 20, I believe) makes it one of the worst to carry in.

the one i hate is that you cannot carry anywhere that charges an admission...WTF sense does that make? dont even leave it up to the business owner at all.

I don't know were your 20 restrictions are... But here are the REAL ones. The only place I go to that I can't carry (open or concealed)in my daughters school.
Places off-limits when carrying:
• Any location prohibited by federal law.
• A law enforcement of correctional facility.
• A building housing only state, federal or government offices.
• Any public or private school building or bus, campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic fields or other property used or owned by an educational institution.
• Any assembly where a fee had been charged for admission or where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
• Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
• It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated
with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any firearm.

I don't know were your 20 restrictions are... But here are the REAL ones. The only place I go to that I can't carry (open or concealed)in my daughters school.
Places off-limits when carrying:
• Any location prohibited by federal law.
• A law enforcement of correctional facility.
• A building housing only state, federal or government offices.
• Any public or private school building or bus, campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic fields or other property used or owned by an educational institution.
• Any assembly where a fee had been charged for admission or where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
• Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
• It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated
with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any firearm.

There is a sea change in thinking taking place in NC, which has been ruled by Democrats ever since the days of Reconstruction, when they took the government by force in a coup d'etat (Wilmington Race Riot of 1898). In 2004, NC Republicans threw out the Dems in both housed of the legislature, and this last election, we now have a Republican Governor as well. So many of the draconian laws we've been living under are being swept away, it's really a breath of fresh air. Bev Purdue had created many impediments, those are now being restored to sanity, and we have hopeful signs the restrictions against carrying where alcohol is served and against carrying where admission is charged are on the way out. Already got rid of restrictions against carrying in parks and in areas of natural disasters, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth of Dems unable to stop the new changes. It's a work in progress (and not in the 'progressive' sort of way).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back