My Second Deer Ever

PascalFleischman

I've been deer "hunting" for about 10 years, and finally broke my spell last year with a 1-point buck. Then on Saturday Nov. 22nd (opening day of TN gun season), I shot this nice 6-pointer. Live weight was right at 140 lbs. I was stoked!

Meandmy6point.jpg

my6point.jpg

congrats. nice looking whitetail. there will be more to come i'm sure. time for some steaks and chops.:yes2:
great pics also

nice to see another post, you would think you would see more on the hunting part of this forum.

Who knows? It is deer season! I might try to get out some more this season. I donated the rest of last year's meat to a local homeless shelter. It's just my wife and I, so one deer lasts us all year. I'll post more as I get them.

Good for you!!! I've put in more hours than I care to think about without the opportunity to even cock the hammer! Been a tough year, (so far), for this boy so yours makes it that much sweeter.

Good for you!!! I've put in more hours than I care to think about without the opportunity to even cock the hammer! Been a tough year, (so far), for this boy so yours makes it that much sweeter.

good luck out there skipjack-1st. I know you have been out a lot and you will bag a buck just hang in there. were waiting for your post and pic of your whitetail.

I need to get ryan to post a pic of his.

DJ58

Here in PRHI, we have "full sized" fawns. :wink:

deerhunt01apr06.jpg

This photo was taken back in April of '06. It was a fun hunt. Haven't been out much since.

gf

They're the largest fawns you'll ever see. :biggrin:

j/k They're called "Axis Deer", scientific name "Axis axis". They're originally from India. The largest Axis deer I've seen were around 190 lbs. They keep their spots for life, which often confuses taxidermists who are not familiar with the species.

I got a few calls over the years from taxidermists who were upset because they thought the samples I sent them for mounting fawns. After explaining the species and reasoning that I've never seen a 100+ lb. fawn, we both had a good laugh. :lol:

gf

They're delicious. Tastes just like chicken! :biggrin: j/k The meat tastes a lot like white tail or elk. Main difference is that these deer are a lot smaller.

We have a nice population of Axis deer on the islands of Lanai, Maui and Molokai. Being that we don't have any predatory mammals (mountain lions, coyotes, etc) it's pretty much up to the hunters to keep the deer population in check. I get calls from farmes on the island of Maui on a regular basis to visit their farm lands and help "regulate" the deer population. I'm also a registered hunting guide, so many times I'll take clients along while I go and reduce the deer and wild pig population on the farms. The farmer compensates me for my efforts, and the clients compensate me for a great hunt. Everyone goes home happy, and I end up with a freezer full of meat. :wink:

gf

nice deer.. was hoping to do as well... but was not so lucky when I went.. oh well there is always next year.

I had family in town and missed Florida's fall muzzleloader season and the Thanksgiving weekend early gun session. General Gun opens again on 11/13, and with a spring muzzle loader season, I'll have until March 1 to harvest something for the freezer.

GF, your Axis are a small species, but larger than the 4 sub-species of Florida Whitetail. Our huge beasts average 125 pounds according to an ecology and management study conducted by Florida's FWC.

I just picked it up from the processor this morning. I got 6 big jalapeno-cheddar summer sausages, 4 big logs of breakfast sausage, Italian meatballs, "tenderized" steaks, 4 lbs ground, tenderloins, backstraps, stew meat, & pre-cut jerky slices.....the summer sausage is AWESOME. I'm looking forward to eating this deer...

I know thisis a old post, I thought they where called FALLOW deer & need permitt & a spesifict number of acres
if they get loose & breed they could WIPE OUT THE WHITETAIL populatoin JUST HEARD IT YEARS AGO
T/Y/D

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back