My recent trip to TN

Danno

Just got back from a nice weekend in TN - was the first time I'd been there in over 10 years! I was happy to know that my SC permit was recognized there, and carried there the whole time. I did not know however that TN allowed open carry! We ordered pizza one night, and the delivery driver had was open carrying! If I had know this, I would have brought a different holster! :)

That being said, I'm planning on going back to TN this fall - and I am seriously considering open carry while I'm there, but wanted to check out the law first.

I checked the laws, and from what I understand, as long as I have a permit (I'm assuming that having an out of state, but reciprocal permit, would suffice) that I could legally open carry.

What is the Police's take on open carry there? I was around the Douglas Lake, but did venture into Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg while there, and did see a rather strong police presence (rightfully so, with all us tourists :) )

Also, I see that restaurant carry is now legal in TN - as long as I don't consume alcohol, or if there is a sign prohibiting firearms.

Are there any other "gotcha's" for an out of stater?

Just be careful in the tourist areas some of the LEO's don't know the law and then some old lady with her grand kids starts screaming "GUN" it sets off a panic mode . I live here in north east Tennessee and 90% of the time I conceal carry .

Your analysis of our law is correct: we recognize all other states's permits and you may either CC or OC.

Beware, however. Gunbuster signs are legal "no carry" notification, as well as:

* * *(3)* (A)* If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

Most cops in the small town I live in are cool with open carry. Most of the time I carry concealed but thats just me. I would prefer that the bad guy not know I am armed. As stated above you have no control over what some freaked out old lady might say to the 911 operator so why not play it safe. I was pulled over once near the airport in Nashville for speeding. When the cop approached I informed him that I was armed and offered him my ccw. He said he didn't need to see it, gave me back my DL and said slow it down.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back