My poor Savage!

KimberPB

I posted a few weeks ago that the new Savage 10FP I bought was having some extraction problems. I took it into my gunsmith to have him look it over. Well, turns out the head space is off by .03" allowing the bolt to close on the No-Go gauge. We also noticed a few marks on the breach face we're going to have them look at. It's being shipped back to Savage. Soooo It'll be another couple weeks. :cray: :cray: :cray:

WOW that stinks!

headspace is set on a Savage by screwing the bbl down hand tight on a go gage and then torqing the bbl nut to the specified torque. I do not under stand how this one got missed at the factory.
I set the head space on mine so that a slight drag is felt on closing at SAAMI minimum.
I have never had a problem!
pick up a set of forrester go-nogo gages and when you get her back, check her with those.

headspace is set on a Savage by screwing the bbl down hand tight on a go gage and then torqing the bbl nut to the specified torque. I do not under stand how this one got missed at the factory.
I set the head space on mine so that a slight drag is felt on closing at SAAMI minimum.
I have never had a problem!
pick up a set of forrester go-nogo gages and when you get her back, check her with those.

Yep when I first called Savage and told them I thought it may be a head space issue they told me to check the serial numbers on the bolt. That each gun is head spaced and the bolt stamped with the last 4 digits of the rifles serial number. If those match then the head space should be fine. I guess one slipped by.

No biggy I'm sure Savage will make it right. Just sucks having a new toy and not being able to play with it!

Yep when I first called Savage and told them I thought it may be a head space issue they told me to check the serial numbers on the bolt. That each gun is head spaced and the bolt stamped with the last 4 digits of the rifles serial number. If those match then the head space should be fine. I guess one slipped by.

No biggy I'm sure Savage will make it right. Just sucks having a new toy and not being able to play with it!

You mean you didn't get something to "fill in", like getting a rental while your car is in the shop?

You mean you didn't get something to "fill in", like getting a rental while your car is in the shop?

Oh great now you have me wanting to go get a "loaner"! lol. I was looking at stocks yesterday. I may order one so it'll be here when the savage gets back.

Still a toss up between the Bell and Carlson medalist and the Choate......

Choate is my vote

I am very pleased with mine! It does every thing I want it to and it gives my stick a one of a kind look that people invariably ask,"is that legal?...or...what kind of gun is that?" I've even gotten, "does the military know you have one of their rifles?" before. The best thing is the mounting chassis. It is designed so that bedding and in-letting are absolutely not required. You will have plenty of clearance for your barrel and it is on large rigid SOB!(both the stock and the bull barrel)

One down side is that the ultimate sniper stock is heavy. the ultimate varmint is much lighter but is also offered as a Savage option from the factory.

I prefer the heavier stock because after having 2 back surgeries...recoil is not my friend. With the right muzzle brake, you could keep the rifle on target for the entire firing sequence.

The brake will increase noise and may decrease your velocity by 20-50FPS

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back