my plans for an ideal pack rifle

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
SAVAGE makes an affordable .308 bolt action rifle with a threaded barrel in the Axis line for less than $400.00 bucks. You can bet that such a rifle with a very simple fixed low power scope with a muzzle brake will come in well under 8 lbs. The recoil will be manageable due to the brake and the lack of weight makes it easy to carry. Because it is a SAVAGE it will most likely be a sub MOA gun.

The low power fixed scope serves two purposes...ultimate reliability (less likely to break or fail) and wider field of view (faster target aquisition).

Power is not an issue. The SAVAGE barrel has a 1 in 10 twist. That is perfect for stabilizing a 180 grain bullet. A 180 grain bullet from a .308 winchester at a distance of 1000 yards has the same kinetic energy as a .44 magnum up close and personal. That friends is a butt load of knockdown umph.

The threaded barrel also means that a suppressor and subsonic rounds make for very quiet coyote hunting. The light weight barrel will walk around a little as it heats up, but will still be very accurate as a hunting tool.

Lightweight, accurate, affordable, good power...what is not to love?

JMO but if I were looking for a pack rifle I'd want something in .44 or .357 so that my handgun and rifle take the same ammuntion.

I have a 270 hunting rifle but for a pack rifle I take my ruger 1022. The 1022 is light and short, you can carry a lot of ammo in a small space and I have a ruger MK II 22 pistol that I also take with me so I can use the same ammo.

If you need something larger than a 22 I have a puma 45 long colt lever action that is very light and goes very nicely with my ruger revolver in 45 long colt.

2 great options, depending on what you are packing it for. For small game, Ruger now makes the 10/22 Takedown that breaks down into 2 pieces, is lightweight, and did I mention it's a 10/22?
Ruger® 10/22 Takedown® Autoloading Rifle Models
Your other option IMHO would be a Keltec Sub2000. This is a folding rifle that not only takes the same rounds as your Semi-auto pistol (9mm, .40,) it takes the same magazine as several top name brand pistols.
Link Removed

2 great options, depending on what you are packing it for. For small game, Ruger now makes the 10/22 Takedown that breaks down into 2 pieces, is lightweight, and did I mention it's a 10/22?
Ruger® 10/22 Takedown® Autoloading Rifle Models
Your other option IMHO would be a Keltec Sub2000. This is a folding rifle that not only takes the same rounds as your Semi-auto pistol (9mm, .40,) it takes the same magazine as several top name brand pistols.
Link Removed

I have the sub2k in .40 and your right, it does make an excellent pack rifle.

why not just pop the pins on an AR15? Why not have a .22lr conversion unit for same? Why limit yourself to the 150 yds of a handgun caliber, when you can reach 3x as far with the AR? why give up rapidfire? many a deer has run off after being chest hit with a .30 cal softpoint. There's nothing magical about such calibers. If your rifle does not offer a .22 unit, then you'd better have an accurate .22lr handgun with you. preferably with an optical sight and an intergral suppressor.

The Henry Survival Rifle would be a good choice. It is a .22 that the barrel and receiver fit into the stock. It comes with three eight round magazines that fit into the stock as well. The case for the Ruger break down looks as big as a back pack. My survival round is going to be the .22. You get more rounds per pound and if you are walking that makes a big difference. There are about 138 .22's, 40 .223's, 38 9mm, 28 7.62's and 28 .40's in a pound of ammo. The .22 will take down anything the larger calibers will (even a bear).

I would look for a light weight .22 pistol. I thought I had found mine in the Browning 1911-22 A1 (13 oz.), but the gun is too small for my hand. I have trouble with pressing the grip safety because the distance between the trigger and the safe is so small. When I bend my trigger finger back far enough to have the pad of my finger on the trigger, it causes my hand to move away from the grip. Working on training, but it should feel more natural. Well, I will keep looking.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back