My New to me, classic Marlin 30AW 30/30

Danno

Brought home a little beauty today - a Marlin 30AW, chambered in 30/30. It will serve as my deer rifle, and planning on using it this Saturday morning

So I took it out, and wanted to make sure it was sighted in OK. Below is the target. 70 yards, 4 shots, all on black. I know, I know, it's not MOA shooting, but I think open sights at that range, it's pretty stinking good

Link Removed

And here's the beauty:

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Also picked up a double rifle hard case - can't remember the name off the top of my head - I'll have to look when I get back home. Starts with a "C" though.

Picked up the sling at Wally World for $9.00, and a box of Hornaday LeveRevolution for $22.95.

All in all, I'm really happy. I did pop a Tasco scope on it at first, but I didn't have the time last night to sight it in, and the rings were too high for the bore scope, so I just went open. I'm going hunting in the morning, so I guess I'll be OK :)

Oh, and the serial starts with 10, so it's a 1990 model.

Beautiful. I've got one just like it, but the hammer is different. It's killed one of the two deer I've ever shot. (My first was on a borrowed gun because the Marlin jammed as I loaded it....see below). Personally, I think it's the sexiest deer rifle out there.

****BEWARE****
Mine has twice been afflicted with the dreaded "Marlin jam", where the feed ramp does something goofy and permanently locks the action open of a fully-loaded rifle.

The first gunsmith "fixed" it, but it reappeared 2 years later when I was in my stand. The second gunsmith said he DID fix it, but we'll just see. According to him, there's a quick "fix" and then there's a "FIX". He performed the latter, where he grinds down the cam, then TIG-welds it back to shape, then machines the cam to the proper dimensions.

Wow - never heard of the "Marlin Jam!" I grew up shooting marlins, and never had a jam, ever. I've only put 6 rounds down this one, but I hope it doesn't happen to me :)

Oh, and I forgot to say, I got it for just $250!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back