My introduction, along with a few questions.

Aresye

Greetings my fellow sheepdogs! My name is Ben, and I've been a bit of a lurker on this site for the past few weeks. Just decided to register today, as a lot of your topics have already helped me immensely.

I was first introduced to the sheepdog concept by Dave Grossman himself, when he gave my class a 4hr seminar on the combat mindset. A truly remarkable speaker he is, and he helped inspire me to head on the path that has led me up to where I am now. I can remember having strong feelings of protection for my family, fellow friends, and classmates for as far back as I can remember. I'm talking about even before 4th grade. I grew up with very anti-gun parents, who are still even against hunting, although they both presently accept my decision to carry, and my reasoning behind it. For this reason I am not sure what causes a person to walk the sheepdog path. Perhaps it's a trait you're born with. Perhaps it's a combination of events, and other exterior forms of influence during early childhood. Though as I said earlier, I was not exposed to violence, other than the bits of violence found in Disney movies, until my teenage years.

Most of my firearm training has come from the military, and I've gotten very proficient at the M4A1 rifle, and the M11 (Sig P226) pistol. Now that I live out in town on my own, I went through the process of acquiring my own Sig P239, which is basically a smaller version of the 226, and my own AR-15 (M4 variant). I'm a firm believer in the sheepdog concept, and I constantly train myself to the utmost of my ability for emergency first aid (not just a gun I carry with me), lifesaving procedures, physical fitness, and mental/emotional stability. Being a sheepdog, is not just becoming a guardian over your fellow man. It's also about you. It's a warrior mindset, one that never stops learning, never closes its mind. I gotta say, even though a lot of guys in the military give me crap about having been in Boy Scouts all my teenage years, I'm very glad to have acquired those skills, and grew up doing community service. I love all my family and friends, who helped mold me into who I am today. Glad to see others on this board feel a similar sense of calling.

Now onto my questions:

1. I was just issued my FL CCW. On the map it lists PA as a full reciprocal state, yet states that FL doesn't honor non-resident permits from PA in the pamphlet that came with my permit. If that's the case, does PA not honor a FL non-resident permit? I'm stationed in FL, but own a PA driver's license, which to me still means I'm a non-resident.

2. I currently use a Blackhawk inside-the-pants holster. Works well, but I guess I'm not used to the lack of a retention strap. I'm a little hesitant carrying in condition 1, with no retaining strap. Obviously a strap means longer response time, and a CCW holder should have the level of awareness to prevent somebody from sneaking up, and taking their weapon. I make sure mine's concealed correctly though, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just wanted to hear what others think of this.

3. Where do you guys generally carry extra ammunition. My holster doesn't have a separate pocket, so do any of you just carry extra magazines in their pocket, coat pocket, etc?

That's pretty much it for both my introduction, and questions. I look forward to reading your responses, and being out there, carrying along with you!

Ben

1. I was just issued my FL CCW. On the map it lists PA as a full reciprocal state, yet states that FL doesn't honor non-resident permits from PA in the pamphlet that came with my permit. If that's the case, does PA not honor a FL non-resident permit? I'm stationed in FL, but own a PA driver's license, which to me still means I'm a non-resident.

A1 - Check on the PA/FL web sites for frequently asked questions, I'd guess you're not the first with this one.

2. I currently use a Blackhawk inside-the-pants holster. Works well, but I guess I'm not used to the lack of a retention strap. I'm a little hesitant carrying in condition 1, with no retaining strap. Obviously a strap means longer response time, and a CCW holder should have the level of awareness to prevent somebody from sneaking up, and taking their weapon. I make sure mine's concealed correctly though, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just wanted to hear what others think of this.

A2 - Security is very important. Not letting anyone know you're carrying before you draw is the best way with the type of holster you have. I've used this type for years and had no problem. However, if you're drawn into a scuffle there is a greater chance of detection. Thumb snaps are almost as fast as no strap, with training. As far as general retention I've never had a problem at all. I've carried condition one, 1911, for years and will say that as long as the gun is in good mechanical condition you should have no worry. For the 1911 there was the chance of the thumb safety getting pushed off but if the trigger is maintained in proper adjustment it won't go off without something pushing it.

3. Where do you guys generally carry extra ammunition. My holster doesn't have a separate pocket, so do any of you just carry extra magazines in their pocket, coat pocket, etc?

A3 - I use a magazine pouch on the opposite side of the gun for autoloaders and a pouch for speed loaders, speed strips/moon clips for revolvers on the side with the gun. If a pouch is unavailable right next to my wallet for the magazine or in a vest/jacket pocket for the speed loader, speed strips/moon clip. I try to have at least one reload on my person.

Greetings my fellow sheepdogs! My name is Ben, and I've been a bit of a lurker on this site for the past few weeks. Just decided to register today, as a lot of your topics have already helped me immensely.

I was first introduced to the sheepdog concept by Dave Grossman himself, when he gave my class a 4hr seminar on the combat mindset. A truly remarkable speaker he is, and he helped inspire me to head on the path that has led me up to where I am now. I can remember having strong feelings of protection for my family, fellow friends, and classmates for as far back as I can remember. I'm talking about even before 4th grade. I grew up with very anti-gun parents, who are still even against hunting, although they both presently accept my decision to carry, and my reasoning behind it. For this reason I am not sure what causes a person to walk the sheepdog path. Perhaps it's a trait you're born with. Perhaps it's a combination of events, and other exterior forms of influence during early childhood. Though as I said earlier, I was not exposed to violence, other than the bits of violence found in Disney movies, until my teenage years.

Most of my firearm training has come from the military, and I've gotten very proficient at the M4A1 rifle, and the M11 (Sig P226) pistol. Now that I live out in town on my own, I went through the process of acquiring my own Sig P239, which is basically a smaller version of the 226, and my own AR-15 (M4 variant). I'm a firm believer in the sheepdog concept, and I constantly train myself to the utmost of my ability for emergency first aid (not just a gun I carry with me), lifesaving procedures, physical fitness, and mental/emotional stability. Being a sheepdog, is not just becoming a guardian over your fellow man. It's also about you. It's a warrior mindset, one that never stops learning, never closes its mind. I gotta say, even though a lot of guys in the military give me crap about having been in Boy Scouts all my teenage years, I'm very glad to have acquired those skills, and grew up doing community service. I love all my family and friends, who helped mold me into who I am today. Glad to see others on this board feel a similar sense of calling.

Now onto my questions:

That's pretty much it for both my introduction, and questions. I look forward to reading your responses, and being out there, carrying along with you!

Ben

check out this link, it is the USACarry info for FL CCW Link Removed

On your permit reciprocity question my understanding is this:

There is no such thing as a Florida Non-Resident Permit. All Florida permits are issued the same and it is only where you reside that makes you considered resident or non-resident.

Florida has decided that they will only recognize permits from persons that reside in the State of issue and will not honor permits from persons that do not reside in the State of issue. Pennsylvania on the other hand does not have this rule, they simply say they honor Floridas Permit which again has no residence status, so it is good in Pennsylvania.

Yep, seems a bit confusing but that is the way it is as of the moment.

Thanks for the quick responses everybody! Steve, you must have mixed up tabs or something, because your link just sends me to replying on this topic.

I had a great first day carrying concealed. Felt very awkward at first, as the sensation of having a holstered gun up against my back felt like it was sticking out as a huge bulge, even though you couldn't tell at all I was carrying. By the end of the day, I was mostly comfortable walking around with it, and I don't see myself having a problem keeping it on me at all times.

On a positive note, I noticed that I had a much higher level of alertness the entire day when I was carrying. I felt like I was taking everything in, analyzing potential threats, and running through scenarios in my head. Well, I did that before I carried, but now I can actually visualize myself responding to a threat correctly.

Thanks for the quick responses everybody! Steve, you must have mixed up tabs or something, because your link just sends me to replying on this topic.

I had a great first day carrying concealed. Felt very awkward at first, as the sensation of having a holstered gun up against my back felt like it was sticking out as a huge bulge, even though you couldn't tell at all I was carrying. By the end of the day, I was mostly comfortable walking around with it, and I don't see myself having a problem keeping it on me at all times.

On a positive note, I noticed that I had a much higher level of alertness the entire day when I was carrying. I felt like I was taking everything in, analyzing potential threats, and running through scenarios in my head. Well, I did that before I carried, but now I can actually visualize myself responding to a threat correctly.

sorry about that. go to USACarry homepage, click on map that shows reciprocity, click on FL and PA to see. try this one. http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

minimum spares

pocketmagcarrierfrontMedium.jpg

This just drops into my weak-side hip pocket, prints like a wallet.
I also have a dual IWB pouch I made recently, carried above the other two reloads.
If I am wearing a vest, jacket or coat, I drop a single pouch in the pockets to allow the weight to control unwanted [or allow wanted] movement of the cover garment.

Right now I need to buy another 9mm mag, as my full loadout is 17 rounds max. 8+1 in the gun, 8 in the reload.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back