My Granddaughter asked me to buy her a pistol,help .38 special or 380?

65nowha

My granddaughter lives in a rough neighborhood,and i'm going to buy her a pistol after she finish the CDWL,class here in KY. She told me shes never fired a pistol,so i'm thinking about buying her a G42 380,BG 380,or a good 38.special.Which do you all think would be a better fit for her? She's leaving it up to me because she doesn't have a clue what best for her. Thanks for some opinions GFD thread group!

I suggest she go to a range where one can try out various handguns.

We can give her the pros and cons of various models but she's the one that has to be comfortable with what she gets. If not, then she either won't practice with it, won't carry it, or won't become proficient with it. That would make the gun useless to her and a waste of your money.

I suggest she go to a range where one can try out various handguns.

We can give her the pros and cons of various models but she's the one that has to be comfortable with what she gets. If not, then she either won't practice with it, won't carry it, or won't become proficient with it. That would make the gun useless to her and a waste of your money.

Make's sense to me Reba,I will do just that. Don't know why I didn't think of that .Thanks

Something like a Colt Mustang, or a Sig P238 is something I would consider. Small enough for purse carry, but heavy enough to absorb some recoil. I have both & love them. 38 Specials, like the S&W Air Weights are great to carry, but NO fun to shoot.

My granddaughter lives in a rough neighborhood,and i'm going to buy her a pistol after she finish the CDWL,class here in KY. She told me shes never fired a pistol,so i'm thinking about buying her a G42 380,BG 380,or a good 38.special.Which do you all think would be a better fit for her? She's leaving it up to me because she doesn't have a clue what best for her. Thanks for some opinions GFD thread group!

The text I put in bold is important and should not be ignored.

Introduce her to handguns, preferably at a range that rents them. Also, educate her on carrying a handgun and on self defense with a handgun. After that, se should be able to make an educated decision by herself. If you don't have time or don't live near her, purchase her the relevant training classes at a range that rents handguns. Many ranges have women-only or women-friendly classes. Do women deserve inferior guns?

My suggestion, S&W M&P Shield 9mm without thumb safety or Glock 19. NO PURSE CARRY!!! A quality holster and a quality belt.

The text I put in bold is important and should not be ignored.

Introduce her to handguns, preferably at a range that rents them. Also, educate her on carrying a handgun and on self defense with a handgun. After that, se should be able to make an educated decision by herself. If you don't have time or don't live near her, purchase her the relevant training classes at a range that rents handguns. Many ranges have women-only or women-friendly classes. Do women deserve inferior guns?

My suggestion, S&W M&P Shield 9mm without thumb safety or Glock 19. NO PURSE CARRY!!! A quality holster and a quality belt.
I agree, especially with the ladies' classes and no purse carry. A purse is too easily snatched or accessible to other people.

The Sig p 238 has the easiest slide to pull back I bought one for the wife, she can't pull the colts back. The glocks are difficult for her and not as concealable on her small frame.Let her pick what she is comforatable with. Don't rush it. Also holsters are a issue. The wife settled on the De Santis popup. Good luck!

I let granddaughter see my Taurus .38 SPL+P 5 shot revolver,Taurus PT111 G2 9X19mm,she didn't like either.I let her see the the G42 & BG 380's she like both but had a hard time trying to take the safety off the BG,she wants the G42 380.i'm going to take her out to a friend of mine place and let her fire a box of rounds through it tomorrow. After she go through the CDWL,class i'm going to buy her one if she like's the way she feels about the pistol. Thanks for you all opinions,I really appreciate you all responding.

A .380 or .38? It's quite obvious you don't much care for the safety of your granddaughter if your only options for arming her are 'kiss on the cheek' or 'slap on the face' calibers. If you truly loved her you would make sure she carried one of these:

Link Removed
or
Link Removed

A .380 or .38? It's quite obvious you don't much care for the safety of your granddaughter if your only options for arming her are 'kiss on the cheek' or 'slap on the face' calibers. If you truly loved her you would make sure she carried one of these:

Link Removed
or
Link Removed

You are absolutely right,but she will make up her own mind,and ill pay for the one she want with a box of hollow point bullet with love.lol. I can see giving myself one of those beauty's or both in the photos. Thanks Wild Dog.

For those of you that think purse carry is a bad idea, where would you suggest this young lady carry. Not all women are tomboy types,

For those of you that think purse carry is a bad idea, where would you suggest this young lady carry. Not all women are tomboy types,

If you are suggesting that the woman pictured in your post should be carrying a firearm in her purse, then you just made your own counter argument. Where is her purse? Not on her body. Her purse and her gun are somewhere else, not under her control.

A thigh or ankle holster may be the solution to this particular problem.

If you are suggesting that the woman pictured in your post should be carrying a firearm in her purse, then you just made your own counter argument. Where is her purse? Not on her body. Her purse and her gun are somewhere else, not under her control.

Exactly.

Most women who carry are somewhere between super models in slinky gowns and tomboys.

Just because we might not carry guns in our purses doesn't mean we don't carry purses or not like girly stuff. :rolleyes:

A .38 Special revolver is going to be a lot more versatile, both in terms of the gun and the ammunition, especially for a beginner.

Light .380acp autos can have pretty harsh recoil. They can also be hard to load if the recoil and hammer springs are strong.

You don't need to worry about limp wristing with a revolver. For a beginner, I'd recommend 148gr. target wadcutter loads.

I agree with you bofh,she would be able to get to it quick with a ankle holster,but not a thigh if she needed too.My opinion

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back