My Fortress Concept

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Any thing you can do to slow down a BG is a good thing

Organic security:
1. Rose bushes under bedroom windows...The bigger the thorn the better
2. Blackberry Brambles on the backside of the property Food and security!!!
3. 2-3 times as many solar powered landscape lights as required

Physical security:
1. Chain link fence with locking gate around backyard
2. Deadbolt locks on every door
3. Monitored Home security system with regular checkups
4. Motion sensor lights
5. Primary vehicle always in secured garage with doors closed and locked
6. Limiting access to your property to invited guests only

Personal security:
1. 12 ga. shotgun
2. High quality handgun
3. Large dog
4. Proper telephone and door answering "training" for all family members

Situational awareness
1. Taking note of vehicles and people never before seen in area
2. Politely challenging strangers by asking if they are lost or require assistance (most BG's will leave immediately when "made" in this manner)
3. Getting to know all your neighbors and being on amicable terms with them

Last edited:
Some good points. May I add on the security system to invest a little more and get a cell back up. If the phones go down you still have security. Also I am thinking of adding some cameras so I can see from a monitor inside the house the outside and have a recording of any activity. Another good bush to use is the pyrocanthia (not sure of the spelling). They have very long wicked thorns.

Last edited:
Use a cell phone as your only phone - then you have a consistent system, and always keep it in a holster on your person.

Get some Spanish Bayonet plants. They're low-maintenance and evil. The thorns go right through clothing, and no one in their right mind will be determined enough to get past them. If you need to remove them, the best way is to use a chainsaw on a pole, and then jam a rake into them to carry them out.

If you can't afford an alarm system or simply don't want one, just get the stickers and signs. They're cheap on ebay (just search for "ADT stickers" or whatever).

If you have the space, an additional car might not be a bad idea...even if it doesn't run well, just move it around the driveway every few days. Get some of those timer systems that turn things off and on at particular times, and change the times. That way it looks like someone is always home, even if everyone is gone during the day.

Don't just get deadbolts for your doors. I saw a video once (in an ad for hardware) where a SWAT team was breaking down doors with different hardware on them. First, there was the deadbolt - it took one swift kick. Second, there was the deadbolt and hinges secured with extra-long screws that went into the frame of the house, not just the door frame - took a couple of kicks. Then they added an extra thick latch plate to the door jamb (again with long screws) - this took quite a few kicks. Finally, they put a small brass plate around the door knob (I used to think these were decorative) - they had to get a battering ram, and then it was hte hinges that gave way, not the latch. I tried to find the video on UTube, but I couldn't get the exact one.

Good words!

Don't just get deadbolts for your doors. I saw a video once (in an ad for hardware) where a SWAT team was breaking down doors with different hardware on them. First, there was the deadbolt - it took one swift kick. Second, there was the deadbolt and hinges secured with extra-long screws that went into the frame of the house, not just the door frame - took a couple of kicks. Then they added an extra thick latch plate to the door jamb (again with long screws) - this took quite a few kicks. Finally, they put a small brass plate around the door knob (I used to think these were decorative) - they had to get a battering ram, and then it was hte hinges that gave way, not the latch. I tried to find the video on UTube, but I couldn't get the exact one.

+1 on reinforced deadbolts

It also helps to have 5 or 7 hinges on the door for added beef.

Here's a locking crossbar that you can get; I don't know anyone who has used one of these though. Alternately, you could probably make your own that's much stronger (using thicker steel) and reinforcements going deep into the wall. If you're going to go to the trouble of getting the crossbar, it's probably smart to get an all-metal door and some big hinges, too.

It might be a good idea to look at this in perspective, though. Are you trying to protect yourself against robbers, a hit from the Mafia, or from an actual SWAT team invasion? You can probably adequately protect against # 1 and 2. However, if the cops want to come in, they're going to find a way, and they'll be that much more pissed off when they finally do get in. The best thing to do would just be to have plenty of video footage and get a good lawyer.

On the other hand, if it's the Obama Youth Brigade that comes knocking, then by all means fight to the bitter end.

Get a 2x4 long enough to go from the door bottom to the opposing wall. Cheap and easy, a little ugly but it keeps the door from being kicked in.

Get a 2x4 long enough to go from the door bottom to the opposing wall. Cheap and easy, a little ugly but it keeps the door from being kicked in.
I know someone who owned a store that had this on their back door. They had hooks on each side holding the 2x4.

The weakness that they overlooked was in leaving a gap between the 2x4 and the door. What happened was that someone busted the lock anyway, pushed the door open slightly, then simply used a rod or something to reach in and lift one end of the 2x4 out of the hook. It took 5 extra seconds than normal. If that hadn't worked, they could still have used a hammer to drive a bar in between the door and jamb and then just finish the job that way.

They ended up putting in two 2x4s and using a thick pin to keep one of the boards flush against the door. That seemed to work after that. But, you'd still be better off locking that bar to the wall somehow.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back