My first carry experience

mini.ben

Contentment.... my permit arrived at the courthouse on last Tuesday, exactly 2 weeks after I completed my application process.

So, in lieu of having a new CCW handy yet, I opted to take a crack at carrying my S&W K-frame Model 19-4 with a 2" barrel. I had a Bianchi pancake holster OWB belt holster, and at 2:30 it tucks up on my gut perfectly, although it carries awful high this way. The bad side of this holster is the creaking noise it makes on my belt. If anyone has some good ideas on dealing with this, I'm all ears! :smile:

A buddy of mine suggested I try carrying his Kimber CDP .45 for a few weeks in his Galco owb belt slide holster. Same position hides it best on my frame as well, although the safety kind of digs into me if I'm not wearing a t-shirt under it. I like the slightly thinner profile of the gun but the harder edges of it make it print more if I'm just wearing just a T-shirt without extra layers. The only other downside to the Kimber is the weight of it. Fully loaded it's about 2.4 lbs, which even with my 5.11 tactical belt, pulls it down. I decided to stick with the Smith when the weather is warmer, and to start shopping for a thin 9mm for warmer weather carry.

I spent a number of hours fooling around with weapons at a gun show this weekend. My favorites in feel right now are the Kahr 9mm's, the Walther PPS, and the Kel-tec P11. For the money, I'm seriously considering the Kel-tec, as online reviews are extremely positive. I also really liked the Para-Ordinance Warthogs, despite their thicker handle. Having 11 rounds of .45 in that size package is pretty sweet stuff!

Anyhow, if anyone has info to share on these 3 brands/pistols would be appreciated.

I did find a really nice IWB holster for the S&W... talk about deep concealment, I can't spot it even if I try!

Quick update, ran out to Target tonight to do some shopping tonight, and my IWB holster pinched me something fierce! Ouch... the search for a comfy IWB holster continues. :sigh:

I've tried every means of carrying inside my pants from every IWB holster I've found on a store shelf to the smart carry and none of them were something I felt comfortable wearing just a few minutes, never mind all day. Forget about sitting down. It may have something to do with you body type as plenty of people like IWB. I'm not what I'd consider "fat", but I'm not skinny either with more of an athletic build (6', 240lbs).

It might carry more comfortably if you were to replace your CDP with an Ultra CDP:pleasantry: You might also consider replacing your carry with something like a Taurus PT-145. This is a small gun, Comfortable to shoot and totally reliable, at least mine is. If you ever get involved in a self defense shooting the police will take your gun for evidence. You may or may not get it back depending on the situation and what the prosecuting attorny decides to do. While I would hate loosing my gun ,even temporary, I'd much rather it be a $400.00 Taurus than a $1200.00 Kimber.:mad:

Last edited:
Take a look at the Mitch Rosen Gunleather line of holsters. Although my carry usually is in pocket with a small 380, I have a Mitch Rosen IWB for Kahr PM9 and it is the most comfortable IWB I have tried.

I use a Blade-Tech- Ultra Concealment (IWB) Holster set for the FBI Cant at 08:00 (I'm a confirmed "LEFTY"). It is so comfortable for me, I forget that it is there.

My favorite IWB is from high noon holsters for a g23. my other holster im usually wearing, including right now as im sitting on the couch typing, is a comp-tac kydex IWB and i cant really feel my gun on me. Both are extremely comfortable when worn at 4 oclock on my larger than id like waist. Both High noon and Comp-tac have some really great designs so im sure youd find something youd like there.

I use a Blade-Tech- Ultra Concealment (IWB) Holster set for the FBI Cant at 08:00 (I'm a confirmed "LEFTY"). It is so comfortable for me, I forget that it is there.
+1 on this. My Glock 32 rides in the same holster in the same position and it's fine there. A little uncomfortable at times in the car but a quick adjustment of position and I'm fine.

I decided to stick with the Smith when the weather is warmer, and to start shopping for a thin 9mm for warmer weather carry.

I spent a number of hours fooling around with weapons at a gun show this weekend. My favorites in feel right now are the Kahr 9mm's, the Walther PPS, and the Kel-tec P11. For the money, I'm seriously considering the Kel-tec, as online reviews are extremely positive. I also really liked the Para-Ordinance Warthogs, despite their thicker handle. Having 11 rounds of .45 in that size package is pretty sweet stuff!

Anyhow, if anyone has info to share on these 3 brands/pistols would be appreciated.

I did find a really nice IWB holster for the S&W... talk about deep concealment, I can't spot it even if I try!

I own the Kel Tec PF9 and the Kahr PM9, and the performance difference at the range is significant. The Kahr is a dream to shoot and conceal, the kel-tec is a dream to only conceal.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. It's amazing how the body adjusts. The last few days I've been wearing my S&W IWB without issue, other than the cant on the holster being just a little bit off for my needs. A slight adjustment works it out quickly however. I can hardly tell it's there most of the time, even sitting at my desk. The only downside is it's really only comfy if I have a tshirt tucked behind it, so I've taken to wearing button up shirts over it for now.

The Taurus PT145 has been a consideration, but reliability is either 100% awesome, or 100% crap for a lot of people... granted, people that have problems with stuff have a tendency to bitch about it online, while the happy people just enjoy their happiness to themselves... So I have a feeling they're more reliable than not. I really like the size, caliber, weight and capacity with this gun, not to mention a good price. A friend of mine has one and loves it, so it's heavily in my consider pile of guns right now. I really like the look and idea of the crossbreed and MTAC holsters out there (Leather Kydex hybrids.) I really hope to sort these solutions out soon! There are SOOO many toys calling my name lately!

Saddle soap and some sort of leather conditioner. Have you ever heard a saddle creak? Same principle. Soften it, condition it, work it back and forth like a baseball glove, "break it in" and the creaking will eventually cease.

Methinks thou doth protest too much....

I've tried every means of carrying inside my pants from every IWB holster I've found on a store shelf to the smart carry and none of them were something I felt comfortable wearing just a few minutes, never mind all day. Forget about sitting down. It may have something to do with you body type as plenty of people like IWB. I'm not what I'd consider "fat", but I'm not skinny either with more of an athletic build (6', 240lbs).

Sorry, RR. I am also 6' and 240 lbs. Face it, we are a bit fat! :no:

That said, I totally agree with Jes on the CrossBreed.

I have a holster that creaks on a leather belt but doesn't on my nylon Wilderness belt. My solution is when I wear that holster/gun combo......I use the wilderness belt.

I took the plunge on a new Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 this weekend! I picked up the one with the stainless slide, just for grins. I also dropped an order in for the Crossbreed supertuck with horsehide and combat grip with black standard clips, and some Williams Fiber optic sights (red rear/green front) to replace the Heine Straight 8 sights that came with it. I'm a fan of this style of sight, but not the lack of anything resembling a night sight. Eventually I'll pick up some Trijicons if they become available. (They have them for the older generation PT145, but not the current one.)

I spent about 2 hours last night cleaning it for the first time... it's really incredible how disgusting they are from the factory! What is that all about?? It was good experience getting experience stripping it down and putting it together again though. I'm excited to start plugging some rounds thru her this week so I can get to the point I feel comfy carrying it full time. I really want it ready by the time my crossbreed shows up.

IWB problems are often caused by too large a gun or pants that are too tight. I think the rule of thumb is to go up at least 2 inches on waist size, and if you wear jeans get the loose fit jeans.

Wow!

I took the plunge on a new Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 this weekend! I picked up the one with the stainless slide, just for grins. I also dropped an order in for the Crossbreed supertuck with horsehide and combat grip with black standard clips, and some Williams Fiber optic sights (red rear/green front) to replace the Heine Straight 8 sights that came with it. I'm a fan of this style of sight, but not the lack of anything resembling a night sight. Eventually I'll pick up some Trijicons if they become available. (They have them for the older generation PT145, but not the current one.)

I spent about 2 hours last night cleaning it for the first time... it's really incredible how disgusting they are from the factory! What is that all about?? It was good experience getting experience stripping it down and putting it together again though. I'm excited to start plugging some rounds thru her this week so I can get to the point I feel comfy carrying it full time. I really want it ready by the time my crossbreed shows up.

This is exactly what I have, down to the williams firesights. I did get cowhide instead of horsehide. :man_in_love:
If you are not used to the Heine sights you will shoot low. The firesights are the same height as factory, so same problem. I pulled the front fiber optic and drilled a lower hole in the front sight then put the fiber in it. After a little testing I will file off the top of the front sight to POA. I can't find short sights for this gun. It does go bang everytime.

Good luck.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back