My Apologies if...

benzuncle

I'm not sure where to post this. I hope I don't wrinkle any fenders in the process. Is anyone reloading their own ammo? I'm about to begin "rolling my own" and haven't noticed anything in any of the threads or forum subjects. If this isn't out of line, and if there's enough interest, perhaps Luke will add a subject on the forum list.

Congrats on doin your own..I use to do mine years ago and the best advice I can give you is check, and then double check, and it wouldn't hurt to even triple check your powder load..we once invented the most powerful 357 mag ever, and all it cost us was one Colt Trooper..good thing no one was hurt tho..felt like a hand granade going off in your hand..wouldn't hurt to keep others out while reloading so as to keep distraction to the absolute minimum.

I've been reloading for about 5 years. Yes, you do have to be very careful, but it is really not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

I have dies for and been loading the following
40s&w
44mag
7mm Mauser
30-06
45-70
30-30
300 Weatherby mag

On my list to get
45acp
9mm (never got because they used to be so cheap)
38sp
7.62x54r
9x18

Last edited:
I reload, cast my own bullets, make my own wildcat brass, make my own holsters and do my own gunsmithing. It's more fun that way!:D

Thanks Gentlemen. But beware, I may be coming to you seeking advice. I have no plans to make "hot" loads. I just want to make less expensive ammo and enjoy the satisfaction that comes from shooting my own loads. Stay tuned.

Thanks Gentlemen. But beware, I may be coming to you seeking advice. I have no plans to make "hot" loads. I just want to make less expensive ammo and enjoy the satisfaction that comes from shooting my own loads. Stay tuned.

Ask any questions you like. We will be happy to answer to the best of out ability. As I said it is really not as difficult as you may think.:D

Ask and you shall receive! I just added a new Ammo and Reloading forum to discuss these subjects in.

I've thrown around the idea of reloading but i just don't think I have the time for it. When I used to fly fish a lot more I tied my own flies and really liked it so I kind of compare it to reloading. I'm sure eventually I'll get around to messing with it.

I would never be able to shoot the quantities that I do without reloading. It saves me a fortune. Like staysafebob already stated, don't reload your carry ammo. That can cause you a lot of problems should you ever find yourself defending your actions in court.

Congrats on getting started. I have been reloading for about a year and a half now. It's a great hobby but just to let you know you’re not going to save much money reloading. You’ll just end up shooting ALOT more! At least that’s what happened in my case! Enjoy and ask any questions you may have.

Right now Loading:
45 ACP
.223 Remington

Congrats on getting started. I have been reloading for about a year and a half now. It's a great hobby but just to let you know you’re not going to save much money reloading. You’ll just end up shooting ALOT more! At least that’s what happened in my case! Enjoy and ask any questions you may have. Right now Loading: 45 ACP .223 Remington

SSHH. Don't let my wife hear that. :eek:

Supplies

Where do you get your supplies from? Do you use lead bullets or FMJ? From what I found 100 winchester FMJ bullets in .45acp go for about $14-$15. Not much of a savings especially if you need to get brass also. I've been tossing around the idea of reloading but it doesn't seem to be much cheaper. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Any info would be appreciated.

Where do you get your supplies from? Do you use lead bullets or FMJ? From what I found 100 winchester FMJ bullets in .45acp go for about $14-$15. Not much of a savings especially if you need to get brass also. I've been tossing around the idea of reloading but it doesn't seem to be much cheaper. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Any info would be appreciated.

The brass is the costliest item. Used (reusing) brass will cut your cost in half or thereabouts. A pound of powder will load approximately 1600 rounds of 45ACP. You can buy 45ACP bullets in bulk or by the 100, 500 & 1000. Primers are a few cents each. Worst case scenario: even I use new brass each time, I figure I would save $4 to $5 a box of 50. reusing the brass would save another $8 or so. Midway, Cabela's, kemfgunshop.com all sell brass and bullets. Don't buy powder or primers online. A $20 Haz Mat charge is applied to any powder/primer orders by anyone that ships through the mail or parcel services.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back