My 1st 1911

DLeeHarley

I went out last Friday to pick up my first 1911 pistol. I was going to get a Springfield Armory "Range Officer ". Last week they were everywhere but I couldn't find one to save myself. So after going just about everywhere I went back to my Favorite LGS (Boise Gun Co.) and as I arrived so did a delivery truck. They said they had 3 or 4 Springers on board so I decided to wait. I then saw MY ideal gun and it was BEAUTIFUL! It was a Ruger SR1911CMD. A 4.25" Commander size all Stainless. 45 My dealer told my that they had been trying to get this weapon for way over 6 months but the customer got tired of waiting and got something else. They said it had just arrived the day before. They wanted $699 so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for a discount. So I asked if they had a cash discount, and they gave me another $75 off! Timing is everything! I just hope it shoots as good as it looks. Right now it's 14° with some snow on the ground, but I'm thinking tomorrow I'll head out to start breaking her in. Keep your powder dry!

Link Removed
Link Removed
Dennis in Idaho
"Those who talk, don't do. Those who do, don't Talk!"

Ruger has been getting very good reviews for their 1911 lines. That's a great deal on a beautiful gun.. Good luck with it.

Congrats! Looks kind of like a V10 super compact Springfield Armory. Purrty dam pistol. Practice until it comes second nature.........

My first 1911 was a full size kimber custom with target sights, I have since gotten a kimber cdp pro. The pro or commander size 1911 is easyer to carry. I plan to get the ruger mid size 1911 this summer , I have herd nothing but good things about the ruger 1911s. Congratulation I belive you made a great choice.

I went out last Friday to pick up my first 1911 pistol. I was going to get a Springfield Armory "Range Officer ". Last week they were everywhere but I couldn't find one to save myself. So after going just about everywhere I went back to my Favorite LGS (Boise Gun Co.) and as I arrived so did a delivery truck. They said they had 3 or 4 Springers on board so I decided to wait. I then saw MY ideal gun and it was BEAUTIFUL! It was a Ruger SR1911CMD. A 4.25" Commander size all Stainless. 45 My dealer told my that they had been trying to get this weapon for way over 6 months but the customer got tired of waiting and got something else. They said it had just arrived the day before. They wanted $699 so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for a discount. So I asked if they had a cash discount, and they gave me another $75 off! Timing is everything! I just hope it shoots as good as it looks. Right now it's 14° with some snow on the ground, but I'm thinking tomorrow I'll head out to start breaking her in. Keep your powder dry!

Dennis in Idaho

Congrats... practice as if your life depends upon it.... someday it just might.

How are you liking this so far. I'm a ruger fan and have been looking in to their 1911. I'm in a small market so I have to special order it. I just prefer holding one first or at least hearing what others think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using USA Carry mobile app

Hey Ken,
I couldn't be any happier with my SR Commander. It shoots wonderfully. In fact it is one of the best shooting weapons that I have. Like I said earlier the fit and finish are second to none. I really can't say enough about it. It balances perfectly in my hand. There are only 2 things that I have planned for it. #1) The rim around the ejection port is kind of sharp, so it needs to be beveled a little. #2) I would really like the front strap checkered @ about 30 LPI so as to not be too aggressive. I think I'm going to do the de-horning and checkering myself. The de-horning should be no problem, but I'm going to practice, practice, practice the checkering before I even make an attempt on the Ruger. So in review Ken, go ahead and pick up your Ruger SR as you will not be disappointed.

The only change I made on my Ruger 1911 CMD was Hogue finger grooved combat grips. Perfect.

Thank you for the info. I will have to see about getting one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using USA Carry mobile app

I have a first addition cdp pro and it shoots great. How far away from your target were you.I have several kimbers and they all shoot very accurately,I also have several ruger revolvers and they all shoot very accurately. I think the ruger 1911s will follow in the footsteps of all the other ruger fire arms and be priced reasonabley and shoot very well.

Link Removed
These were all from 20yds with Federal/Eagle 230gr. FMJ The blue (head) shots were the 1st mag through it ever. The 2 orange shots were just a double tap.

Dennis in Idaho

Link Removed
Link Removed
Dennis in Idaho
Good choice, you wont be disappointed, but just for your own piece of mind it will most likely run FMJ no problem, but just to be sure run a box or two of your favorite hollow point before carrying

Hey Rocket long time! I have and she likes Speer Gold Dots and Hornady's Critical Defense hollow points. I'll try some others when I get them, but those 2 and Critical Duty are the ones that I usually carry. Thanks for the advice though. I wouldn't use ANY gun until it proves itself reliable. First it has to fire 500 rounds without any problems, unless they were shooter induced. And toward the end of those 500 I'll start adding the HP's to make sure they get digested just like everything else. Take it slow!

Dennis in Idaho
"Keep your Powder Dry and your Ass Down !"

I'm the proud owner of a Rock Island Armory 1911 A1 FS Tactical which I picked up the 31st of January, this year. Shot like a dream right out of the box. Bought the display model so it had already been cleaned from shipping by my LGS. I've had one FTF which was my fault, didn't have the mag seated completely...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back