must notify question

bellyfat

i live in a must notify state.
if i am traveling thru another state that recognizes my cc permit, do i need to notify leo's in that state, regardless if they have a must notify law or not?
my permit states that i must notify any leo. is that any leo in my state, or any leo anywhere?

Each state has their own laws concerning this and you must comply with their laws regardless of where your permit is issued.
With that said, I am of the opinion that it is a good idea to notify regardless. There are a lot of individuals that carry who despise the "must notify" and I haven't had one tell me the reason for that opinion.

It should not matter if it is a "must notify" state or not. If you are stopped by an officer keep your hands on the top of the steering wheel and immediately notify the officer that you are carrying concealed as soon as he approaches your vehicle. Your honesty and compliance maybe enough to get you out of further trouble by letting the officer know that you are not a threat to his safety and you appreciate the difficult job that he does.

You abide by the state law you are presently in. If the state law is must notify then notify. If the there is no state law to notify, then it's up to you.

I do not notify. It invites actions that make the environment unsafe (stranger trying to empty a firearm they are unfamiliar with is extremely dangerous.) The safest place my firearm can be is in its holster not being handled. If a traffic stop has nothing to do with your firearms then why complicate the situation by bringing firearms in? If it did the officer would approach appropriately and make his intentions clear, well before you would have the chance to notify.

I also don't notify my garbage man, or the hotel desk person, or anyone that doesn't need to know "out of courteousy". As treo puts it, voluntarily notifying is like submissive urination by a scared puppy, hoping the officer doesn't beat you.

My advice though, is follow the driving laws as strictly as you follow federal firearm laws, and make sure your vehicle is running 100% so you don't get pulled over. Beyond that, don't do anything more than the law requires.

my state is well known to be gun freindly. i dont have a proglem with notifying here but,
in some other states, even though they may not have must notify laws, im in uncharted waters.
the cop who puls me over may or not be gun freindly. he may be fishing for something. that is my reasoning.

You follow the laws of the states in which you are traveling. However, I always notify as a courtesy to the LEO. I've never had a problem in a non-notify state.

Ks is a not required state. The state AG recommends carriers notify and encourages officers to ask (if asked you must answer honestly).

Now for personal preferences:
Many officers don't ask, many do. Several will tell you, "If they went through the hassle and expense to legally carry then they aren't a threat, but knowing naturally raises the stress level so I'd rather not know unnecessarily."
Others have said "If there's a gun, I want to know". One keeps baggies and will place mags and ammo in one, firearm in another and place them in the trunk with instruction that "You can retrieve them when I drive off."

My take? If they want to know, they'll ask. If they don't ask, they don't want to know.

To the point of the questioned asked --- When in Rome, do as the Romans. You are bound by the laws of the state you are in at the time. (In Ks I don't have to notify, in Ok. I do have to)

i live in a must notify state.
if i am traveling thru another state that recognizes my cc permit, do i need to notify leo's in that state, regardless if they have a must notify law or not?
my permit states that i must notify any leo. is that any leo in my state, or any leo anywhere?
why do people over think these things? all you are obliged to do is observe the laws in the place that you are, what is the law in NC is irrelevant if you are in Arizona

The state I live in is not a must inform state. However, the instructor at my CC carry class, which is also optional in my state, advised us that in the event of a traffic stop to keep our hands on the steering wheel, turn the interior light on and tell the officer you have cc permit and that you have a firearm and where it is. This instructor is a 7 year veteran on a local police force. Here's the kicker, your firearms permit follows your drivers license. Any time they run your drivers license it automatically pops up that you have a firearms permit.

bellyFat understand the quandary you're in. NC who you're licensed through requires notify. Another State may not. Whilst NOT an attorney, I would support the thought that you must notify per your issuing State Laws. If another State does not require this and you inform anyway, I don't see any harm done. SOME on this site may differ, but it's your call. AS ALWAYS

Each state has their own laws concerning this and you must comply with their laws regardless of where your permit is issued.
With that said, I am of the opinion that it is a good idea to notify regardless. There are a lot of individuals that carry who despise the "must notify" and I haven't had one tell me the reason for that opinion.

It should not matter if it is a "must notify" state or not. If you are stopped by an officer keep your hands on the top of the steering wheel and immediately notify the officer that you are carrying concealed as soon as he approaches your vehicle. Your honesty and compliance maybe enough to get you out of further trouble by letting the officer know that you are not a threat to his safety and you appreciate the difficult job that he does.

I'll tell you why you don't notify if you don't have to.

LE are suspicious of everyone they come into contact with and for good reason. They never know who they're going to get. When they pull someone over it is a crap shoot. Notifying if you don't have to brings a completely unnecessary added tension into an already tense situation and will more than likely extend the length of the time you are stopped. Now factor in that many LE are not up to speed on firearms laws. Some could care less about the law or your rights and feel that only police should be armed. Why tell these people that you're armed if you don't have to?

You see, it's a crap shoot for us as well. We never know what type of LEO may be standing at our window. You just can't know how they are going to react. I personally have had some great encounters with LE after they found out I was armed. It was a non issue. However, there was this one time, I almost got shot in the head after an officer found out I was armed with a........pellet gun. Yes a pellet gun. He thought that the proper response was to hold his Glock four inches from my temple, finger on the trigger, one handed, while he radioed for back up.

Notifying that you are armed does not let the officer know that you are no threat to his safety as the above poster stated. In fact it does exactly the opposite. It tells them that you may be even more of a threat than you previously were.

Sorry my friend, but your opinion isn't sound advice. It most certainly matters and I for one will never offer up any information when I am not legally bound to do so.

In Nevada the Leo will know when they pull you over because it comes up on the computer. Don't have to inform in Nevada.

Did not know that. When I use to travel I would print out every states rules that I will travel through, then it was not a problem.

This is the only way to travel carrying. You must obey the laws of the state you are in, not the laws of your home state. Many states have small subtle differences so you must be sure.

Here in TN even though I know most of the officers and the County Sheriff when I am stopped I always place my hands on the steering wheel and when the officer walks up and wants to see my DL and Insurance I always hand him or her the permit also. Here in TN you are not required to but I do it for the officers safety and mine as well. That way we both have a understanding that we are both armed and that there will be no confusion on either side if I am asked to step out of the vehicle. I open carry and have for many many years. As most have said. You must comply and obey all laws to the state that you may be in at the time. Before you travel it is always a good idea to research the laws of that state before you even go. Laws change all the time. Stay Safe

The state I live in is not a must inform state. However, the instructor at my CC carry class, which is also optional in my state, advised us that in the event of a traffic stop to keep our hands on the steering wheel, turn the interior light on and tell the officer you have cc permit and that you have a firearm and where it is. This instructor is a 7 year veteran on a local police force. Here's the kicker, your firearms permit follows your drivers license. Any time they run your drivers license it automatically pops up that you have a firearms permit.

Mine isn't. I have a Wyoming driver's license and a Washington CPL which I obtained by using a military ID card with no driver's license info provided for the CPL.

bellyFat understand the quandary you're in. NC who you're licensed through requires notify. Another State may not. Whilst NOT an attorney, I would support the thought that you must notify per your issuing State Laws. If another State does not require this and you inform anyway, I don't see any harm done. SOME on this site may differ, but it's your call. AS ALWAYS

So, if the OP is from a state that prohibits right turns on red lights, he should never make a right turn on a red light in any state because it is against the law where his driver's license is from? Or if he is from a state that has a maximum 65 mph speed limit, he should never go above 65 mph anywhere because that is the law where his driver's license is? Or what if the OP was from Oregon, where it is illegal to pump your own gas - try obeying that law in the 49 other states because that is the law where his driver's license is from. Or if the OP is from Texas, and has a Texas CHL, he should not open carry in Arizona (if he wants to), because it is illegal in Texas to open carry? I'm sorry, your statement makes no common sense whatsoever.

My take? If they want to know, they'll ask. If they don't ask, they don't want to know.

This is as simple as it gets. If they are not concerned about it enough to ask one simple question, then exactly why should I be the one to cause them to become concerned? If they want to know if I am carrying a gun, or a cell phone, or a spare tire, let them ask, unless the state law in which you are stopped at the time requires notification. And if you are out-of-state you need to know their prohibited locations anyway, so you should also know if notification is required or not. The state laws of the state you are standing in apply - not the laws of where your permit is from.

www.handgunlaw.us

Here in TN even though I know most of the officers and the County Sheriff when I am stopped I always place my hands on the steering wheel and when the officer walks up and wants to see my DL and Insurance I always hand him or her the permit also. Here in TN you are not required to but I do it for the officers safety and mine as well. That way we both have a understanding that we are both armed and that there will be no confusion on either side if I am asked to step out of the vehicle. I open carry and have for many many years. As most have said. You must comply and obey all laws to the state that you may be in at the time. Before you travel it is always a good idea to research the laws of that state before you even go. Laws change all the time. Stay Safe

Can you explain how informing the officer that you're carrying makes them safer?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back