Muscle memory for multiple carry options

The phrase "fear the man with one gun..." comes to mind.

Depending on the circumstance, I have four different carry options.

Employer #1 requires me to carry their duty weapon- a S&W model 64 in a thumb break holster.

Employer #2 says I can carry anything I've qualified with. I carry a Glock 22 in a SERPA holster.

For edc I usually opt for either the Glock in a supertuck, or a Kimber in a shoulder rig depending on wardrobe choice.

The question I have is- how do people feel about varying carry options? Does it hinder you to have to change up the way you get to your firearm, your grip, tactics, etc? Are you afraid that one day you'll forget you have the "such and such" in a fanny pack instead of the shoulder holster? Will muscle memory kick in at the moment of truth and make me respond the way I've practiced the MOST without thinking about which option I'm going with that day?

Do you dedicate more time to the one you carry most? Do you practice them all with equal vigilance?

In an emegency people do no rise to the occasion they default to their level of training. Barett Tillman.

I only carry DA/SA at 430 on my right hip

I carry two different guns. Both are the same caliber. I practice equally with both. The bad thing is that every time I practice I clean two guns.

I carry 3 but only practice regularly with 2 so I only clean two...uh, husband clean both his and mine...I used to love cleaning my own gun but he took it to task "to care of me"...:biggrin:

I guess I wasnt clear on my first post. My question was for individuals who by mandate or by choice have to or choose to carry different pistols in different positions. At job 1&2, and when I carry my glock in a supertuck, the confusion is reduced. But I'm starting to carry my Kimber more because I like the .45 and I like my shoulder rig. I am equally proficient in firing all 3 weapons but my concern is the draw.

I have more practice in with the 3:00 hip position than the shoulder holster. More muscle memory. Is anyone else worried that the "wrong" muscle memory take hold at the time of need? I would hate to reach for the Glock and have to double back to the shoulder if I'm already trying to catch up to the action. Because of the different methods I am forced to use, I have to make myself extra conscious of weapon placement every time I carry. I'm wondering what others who carry like myself- different guns in different spots- think.

I guess I wasnt clear on my first post. My question was for individuals who by mandate or by choice have to or choose to carry different pistols in different positions. At job 1&2, and when I carry my glock in a supertuck, the confusion is reduced. But I'm starting to carry my Kimber more because I like the .45 and I like my shoulder rig. I am equally proficient in firing all 3 weapons but my concern is the draw.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn'tmake that choice. The S&W model 64 and the 2 Glocks are (obviously)capable of DA fire and you can teach yourself to always make the motion of swiping the safety as you draw. But you only have to reach for the wrong place one time to really ruin your day.

A long, long, time ago I got jumped in a parking lot. I was new to carrying so I was carrying a SAO pistol w/the chamber empty (Which is a whole different discussion)for "safety".

Anyway, I got the gun out but completely forgot to chamber a round. Luckily, the sight of the gun was enough.

My point is, the fewer decisions you have to make when your adrenaline hits the fan the better off you are going to be.

Sure would suck to be servicing an ATM and reach for a shoulder holster that isn't there.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back