Multiple CC Standoff

chudak25

This happened today in Boise, ID

Here are the links to two different news sources.

Link Removed

Boise Police de-escalated a petit theft that turned into a dangerous situation with four men and two handguns.

Just after 1:15 p.m. Friday, Boise Police received a call of a man with a gun near Americana Boulevard and River Street. Multiple officers arrived on scene and found two men with handguns pointed at different people. Police de-escalated and sorted out the situation, according to a Friday release.

Police said the original suspect, later identified as John Dickey, had allegedly stolen personal property from a victim at a nearby homeless shelter. The suspect fled on foot traveling east on River Street. As the victim chased on foot, a third man intervened the chase, produced a handgun and ordered the suspect to stop.

The suspect was on the ground and held at gunpoint when another person, who also had a concealed weapons permit, saw the situation, intervened and demanded the other man drop his gun. Officers then arrived on scene, according to the release.

Police said the original theft suspect is in custody. No other citations have been issued and information on the incident is forwarded to the Ada County Prosecutor’s Office for review.

“We caution all citizens to think carefully before intervening in a potentially dangerous situation without knowing what is actually taking place. Although we are pleased that the theft suspect is in custody the situation could have easily turned into something much worse in this busy part of town,” said Boise Police Lt. Ron Winegar. “Our concern is always primarily for the safety of the citizens of Boise and the last thing we would want to see is someone seriously injured.”

Link Removed

Stories are a little different, but you get the idea.

Seems to me like neither should have pulled a gun, no life in danger, but it could have got ugly really fast! But on a side note, nice to know that this many people carry here, I don't see that many OC's, but there are enough that CC. :biggrin:

Too true, Chudak.

The one element missing here is the lack of mortal danger. I, for one, would never draw on someone running away, unless they were turning around taking shots at me as they fled.

Unless there is another part of a story we are missing, like the possibility of the alleged thief having a gun, the first guy had no reason to draw. Now the second guy might have rushed into this a little too fast, might have wanted to ask first as to what’s going on, not draw and then start asking. I have thought of how something like this can happen, having a CCL, but that is why the law allows it as a last resort, so when you draw, you need to be firing. I would hate to be either of the two guys with the gun in that situation, because one wrong move and it could have been over for at least one of them and possibly both if they were quick enough. I'm curious to see what the DA will do and if any charges would be pressed. In my opinion it would be nice to have laws that allow us to draw on someone to make a citizen’s arrest, but there aren’t and for reasons just like the one above, because no one knows who you are. But that would be a good way to catch criminals! :biggrin:

It is good to know that this many people do carry, like someone said in one of the comments on the news link, if there ever was someone dumb enough to open fire in public here, they would not get far, because a good majority of people around have a CCW!

Neither the good samaritan or the 2nd guy should have drawn down on the suspect. Neither of their lives were in danger. They have no responsibility to the safety of other citizens, and I'm willing to bet if this was in another state, say...New Hampshire, or somewhere like that, they too would be in jail for improper display of a firearm at the very least.

Sounds like both men have the vigilante mentality. Very dangerous indeed!! Being able to lawfully carry a firearm does not give you police powers... Unless your life or the life of another person is peril, there is absolutely no reason to unholster your weapon... PERIOD! They are both lucky they were not shot! They may still yet face charges and could have their permits revoked.

Hey Glockster20: I am new to this forum but am very happy reading comments like yours that stay away from some of the Dirty Harry posters that inhabit a lot of the other forums. Thank you for your intelligent comments and replies to these threads. This original thread is about actions in Idaho and I think some of the western frontier mentality still exists in that part of the world.

Hey Glockster20: I am new to this forum but am very happy reading comments like yours that stay away from some of the Dirty Harry posters that inhabit a lot of the other forums. Thank you for your intelligent comments and replies to these threads. This original thread is about actions in Idaho and I think some of the western frontier mentality still exists in that part of the world.

Welcome to the site!

Western Frontier mentality, lol just look at California, it's all been taken away?! I'm not defending the individuals actions in this story, but I think just as any law abiding citizen in this country, we all want to see justice and unfortunately the courts can only do so much once the individual is caught, but to even get to that point, someone has to catch the suspect. COPS can't be everywhere all the time, so some people take law into their hands, which is not right, unless your life is at stake. Here gun rights are very important and a lot of people exercise that right by carrying concealed or even openly. In a way I believe the police are well aware of this and that is why they don't come out shooting, but instead deescalated the situation. Had this happened elsewhere, chances are the cops would have laid both guys down in a hail of bullets!
Once again, I don't think the two individuals should have acted the way they did, as a matter of fact they acted stupid and thoughtless in my opinion, but because we do exercise our right, there is probably more of us carrying then not here, so there is always going to be a chance that things like this will come up, it does not mean that we have that western frontier mentality and flash our weapons around at everyone we come across. I don’t mean to start anything with you, just had some things to point out, a different point of view if you will. Sorry for making this so long.

Neither guy should have drawn, chased or anything else besides watch and say "weird, don't see that all the time."
Its up to the guy that got robbed to defend himself not everyone else. Want to defend the public at large? Get a badge.

+1 with Boomboy

The one element missing here is the lack of mortal danger. I, for one, would never draw on someone running away, unless they were turning around taking shots at me as they fled.

Exactly... regardless of who the owner of the "stuff" is... stuff is replaceable. Life isn't.

Boomboy and Azatt you are absolutley correct. It may be a difficult call to make as to exactly "when" you REALLY are in mortal danger (ie: 4 gangsta types are doin the gang walk and coming toward you yelling profanity in the dark of night--no guns, no weapons, no fists, no 2x4's) perceived danger yes, mortal danger no. Have your hand on your CCW yes, bring it out no. Good chance you will be overwhelmed before you can act but there is also a chance you will be presenting your pistol for no other reason than sheer prejudice--hell the 4 gangst types could even be undercover cops. In the house or outside the house, "stuff" is just "stuff"; again being robbed is not something you should have to put up with but, unless the state you are in clearly defines the use of a CCW, appreciate what your state and your police deem"mortal danger" or the appropriate use of your CCW.

IMO, based on the story and my understanding of FLORIDA laws, the first permit holder would be guilty of brandishing, possibly assault with a deadly weapon. The second permit holder, having seen another person in mortal danger(being held at gunpoint), should be OK. Morally, I think they are both OK.

This has always been a concern of mine, how do you identify yourself to other permit holders when the lead starts to fly.

if only the firsr CCW fellow had one onf these there wouldn't have been any problem. :pleasantry:

http://www.popguns.com/badge/badge images/inlarge.jpg

Do they actually give those out there? lol I'm not sure if it's fake or real! That might help, but that's also another item you have to carry around on you! Also hopefully when you are fumbling around trying to show it to the other person, he/she does not shoot thinking you are trying to distract them somehow!

This is a good "what not to do" story. Episodes like this fuel the fire for all the gun grabbers who preach that all CCW carriers are just wannabe cops.

While I agree with most of your postings about the first man drawing on a thief that was fleeing, I would have to offer other incite to the second. The second man did not know what to think when he witnessed someone at gun point. In a situation like that you only have seconds to decide good or bad. He may have made the wrong decision to draw before understanding the situation, but he did draw. I live in Utah and for years now have lived in the dark shadow of what happened at trolley square. It was said that more then 30 people had CCW permits in the building and no one did anything to stop it. Ask yourself how many of us on here would be in the 30 that did not act because of fear? This man acted and it still turned out alright. I just don't understand why he still had his weapon drawn when cops showed up. It seems to me he could have figured out what was going on in a minute. So while I agree punishment for the first man for drawing when no one was in danger, I commend the second man for acting when he could have hid or gone the other way.

I'm not sure that if I walked up with someone on the ground with a gun to their back that I wouldn't do the same thing.

That kind of crap happens in Memphis quite often. I'd just let the cops sort it all out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back