MS "Firearms Permit" confusing to LEOs?

Bill Calley

I travel to other states in my car, and Mississippi's designation for our CCW permit is "Firearms Permit". Wouldn't this be a little vague to LEOs in other states during a traffic stop? (Some states call the permit that is needed to simply -purchase- a firearm a "Firearms Permit"). Is there any site or information that I can print-out and keep in my car that clearly states that a MS 'Firearms Permit' IS a CCW permit, so I don't land in an out-of-state jail?

Thanks!

-Bill

Thanks NMHunter, I am familiar with that page. However, it still only states that MS will issue a "Firearms Permit", with absolutely no mention of concealed carry.

Best Regards,

-Bill

Is there any language on the permit that states that it grants you the right to carry? Did the permit come with any paperwork? The FL permit comes with a bunch of paperwork including the FL statutes governing their CWL. Another option would be to contact the issuing agency for something in writing. Explain your situation and they should be able to help.

gf

Thanks GF, but there is absolutely no wording on the MS "Firearms Permit" card that states that it is a CCW, and the permit also did not come with any paperwork. (I believe Georgia also has the same or similar wording of "Firearms Permit", and not "CCW"...).

Best regards,

-Bill

Thanks GF, but there is absolutely no wording on the MS "Firearms Permit" card that states that it is a CCW, and the permit also did not come with any paperwork. (I believe Georgia also has the same or similar wording of "Firearms Permit", and not "CCW"...).

Best regards,

-Bill

My GA permit has the statute on the reverse side. Would be nice if they would have sme consistency.

gf

Sounds like it's time to write the state police and have them change something in the form or maybe state legislators?

You're probably more worried than you need to be. In PA, its called a License To Carry Firearms. Doesnt say concealed anywhere on it.

I'm thinking since yours has gun (firearm) and permit on it...most out of state LEO will just assume its a carry permit.

I travel to other states in my car, and Mississippi's designation for our CCW permit is "Firearms Permit". Wouldn't this be a little vague to LEOs in other states during a traffic stop? (Some states call the permit that is needed to simply -purchase- a firearm a "Firearms Permit"). Is there any site or information that I can print-out and keep in my car that clearly states that a MS 'Firearms Permit' IS a CCW permit, so I don't land in an out-of-state jail?

Thanks!

-Bill

BTW, PM Luke so he can get an image of your permit posted on the site. In the meantime, check out the GA state info page, you'll see what I'm talking about with the state statutes on the reverse side of the permit.

gf

Thanks gf. I tried to upload the image of my MS CC license to this forum, but "Attach Files" would not work for my 256k jpeg ("Upload of File Failed" error message). I also do not exactly know what a "PM" is, but if it is an email message of some kind, I do not have the email address for Luke (the moderator?).

Thanks,

-Bill :hang3:

Thanks gf. I tried to upload the image of my MS CC license to this forum, but "Attach Files" would not work for my 256k jpeg ("Upload of File Failed" error message). I also do not exactly know what a "PM" is, but if it is an email message of some kind, I do not have the email address for Luke (the moderator?).

Thanks,

Send Luke a PM or "Private Message". Let him know you're having trouble uploading the file and he'll give you instructions how to do it, or his snail mail addy so you can mail him a hard copy. He'll even help block out your personal info so it's not posted on the site.

gf

Thanks,

Pick any of the first couple (stickied) posts in the MS forum...Luke is the first post on each. If you click on his name next to his avatar you will be given the option to send a PM to him...

Your right I just checked my MS "Firearms Permit"

Interesting nothing about CCW. Guess we would just have to wait a few more minutes for out of state officers to have dispatch confirm its valid for CCW. :to_pick_ones_nose:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back