Moving to ND and want to bring my Pistol. Help Please.

moving

Hi,
My company will me relocating me to ND soon and I want to bring my pistol legally into ND. I have a New York State permit which I know is not honored in ND.

All I want to do is move to ND and take my pistol with me legally. I plan on changing my resdinecy to ND immedialty upon arrival. I'm not interested in obtaining a CC permit just yet and plan on keeping it in the house for now. I can't find any info on the proper way to do this or if I need to do anything at all. Please advise or point me to a web site or link that explains the law. thanks

Maybe you could get a non-res permit before moving. Once you change residency then you could convert it to a res permit. Just a thought.......

The North Dakota attorney general website has good information. North dakota is a shall issue state and has a 2 tier permit system. Tier 1 requires a 10 question test based on their state gun laws, and the "usual" application stuff like fingerprints.

Hi,
My company will me relocating me to ND soon and I want to bring my pistol legally into ND. I have a New York State permit which I know is not honored in ND.

All I want to do is move to ND and take my pistol with me legally. I plan on changing my resdinecy to ND immedialty upon arrival. I'm not interested in obtaining a CC permit just yet and plan on keeping it in the house for now. I can't find any info on the proper way to do this or if I need to do anything at all. Please advise or point me to a web site or link that explains the law. thanks

Get in your car, drive to North Dakota, done.

Yeah in ND you don't need ANYTHING to posses the pistol...and to carry, you won't have ANY issues either lol...You are in for a entirely NEW and WONDERFUL world for gun owners lol

You will need a permit to carry though...I meant no issues getting one...

Thanks for the help.

In NY you need a permit just to Possess a handgun. That is what I have. I will be mailing it back to NY once I get my ND drivers license. I'd sell the pistol to avoid the hassle but it was my dads and I need to keep it.

All I want is to move to ND with my pistol and lock it up in the place I live. I assume I need do nothing else in regards to the law? I tried emailing the ND Attorney Generals office asking how to do this and they said they don't give legal advice and to contact a lawyer??

I don't want a Concealed Carry permit for now but will probabaly get one down the road. I don't have time to get a non-resident or a Utah as I may be moving very soon.

We live in fear of the slightest violation of the pistol permit law here in NY, that's why I'm asking. The slightest violation like no trigger locks, carrying in your car to and from the range, etc and they prosecute you. I wish I never got the thing but dad passed away and it was the only way I could keep them from confiscating it.
Thanks and I look forward to spending many years in ND. Wide open spaces and mule deer, pronghorn, etc. Can't wait.

So let me get this right: I looked at the NRA link (thanks)

ALL THAT IS REQUIRED FOR POSSESSION OF A HANDGUN is being over age 21 and having a valid ND drivers license?

Last edited:
Most states are free states, don't need permits to actually allow you your second amendment right. I don't think I could ever live in a place like new york, it seems like such a evil hateful place. Its is good you are leaving there.

Most states are free states, don't need permits to actually allow you your second amendment right. I don't think I could ever live in a place like new york, it seems like such a evil hateful place. Its is good you are leaving there.

It's a horrible state to live in, no doubt about it. I'm NOT from NY City by the way and live a couple of hundred miles from that sewer. Only movie stars and big shots are allowed to carry in NY City and my NY State permit is null & void there. You need a seperate pistol permit issued by NY City along with your NY State permit. It would take a team of lawyers, serious political connections and thousands of dollars to get one of these permits in NY City.

By the way, it took me 13 months to get my NY State pistol permit which can be used for hunting and target shooting only, trigger locks required at all times...even in my own house. I have a totally clean record. When dad passed away, I had to find someone willing to place his pistol on thier permit or the police would come to my door and take it away. Getting a permit in NY is no easy task. They want to know why you want one, you need 4 references who live in your county willing to endure a battery of questions from the police in regards to your charachter, finger prints, photos, saftey course, etc. Total cost was abotu $250 before I even bought a gun. When you buy the pistol, you can't take it home with you right away. You have to be issued a purchase ticket, take it down to the couty clerks office, pay another fee, they put the serial number on your permit, go back to the dealer the next day and take your gun home. There are vey few places to shoot legally and it costs plenty at the ranges. Nightmare.

It's a shame what has happened to NY State. Everyone is leaving. We lost 2 million people in the past 10 years. The upstate cities are falling apart and look like ghettos. We have wonderful mountains, wildlife, rivers, lakes, farms, wineries, etc but the crushing burden of the Liberal Welfare State has destroyed it all.

Sorry for the rant. I just figured I'd let you know how good you guys out west have it and what is possibly coming your way if Bloomberg and 0ba get their way.

I promise all ND citizens that I do not share these liberal views and will leave them in my rear view mirror when I leave this horrible hell hole.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, in ND just to own one you need NOTHING....ENJOY the freedom of the United States once again.....Hell to get a permit to carry in ND would only take a couple of weeks lol

Here is some information on the North Dakota Laws and the permit process.

I tried to attach the 2007 manual, but it was too large.

It sounds like you need some debriefing after living in New York.

Here is some information on the North Dakota Laws and the permit process.

I tried to attach the 2007 manual, but it was too large.

It sounds like you need some debriefing after living in New York.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. You are correct, I need debriefing and shock therapy after living in NY. Pistol Permit holders live in fear of the government prosectuing you for the slightest violation. It's not even worth it to have a PP here.

I am pretty sure that the 2007 manual (assuming that it has not yet been updated) is available on the attorney general website. It explains their castle doctrine law as well as places you can and can't carry with a carry permit. I am guessing that the class 1 North Dakota permit is more helpful than a New York permit, based on what you have said.

I am pretty sure that the 2007 manual (assuming that it has not yet been updated) is available on the attorney general website. It explains their castle doctrine law as well as places you can and can't carry with a carry permit. I am guessing that the class 1 North Dakota permit is more helpful than a New York permit, based on what you have said.

My permit is a basic NY possession permit only. They call them ALL Concealed Carry in NY even though I can't carry it on my person except for at the range or in the woods. There is no open carry law in NYS. Handgun hunters must carry concealed also or hold it in thier hands while hunting or stalking. Walking in and out of the woods, the pistol must be concealed. I know it is strange and stupid. Moving away and never coming back.

Welcome to North Dakota. what part of the state are You moving to? If You decide to get a permit let me know.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back