Moving to KY from NY with NY permit and Utah CCW permit.

So then w/o my CCDW permit what the hell do I do with my handguns. Suppose I want to go shoot or carry them on my person but not concealed. Not really clear on this.

Rifles and Shotguns
Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
Handguns

Permit to purchase handgun? No
Registration of handguns? No
Licensing of owners of handguns? No
Permit to carry handguns? Yes
Purchase

No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
Residents of the Commonwealth of Kentucky who are citizens of the United States shall have the right to purchase or otherwise acquire rifles, shotguns, handguns, and any other firearms which they are permitted to purchase or otherwise acquire under federal law and the Kentucky Revised Statutes from properly licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, or collectors, and unlicensed individual person in Kentucky or in any other state or nation outside of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Posession

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a concealed firearm on or about one's person. This applies to carrying a concealed firearm in one's own premises or dwelling.
Exempt from this prohibition are persons issued a license to carry concealed firearms, police officers, agents and messengers of express companies when on duty, and U.S. mail carriers on duty.

"Concealed on or about the person" has been recently defined as "concealment in such proximity to the person as to be convenient of access and within immediate physical reach."

Kentucky courts consider firearms located under a driver's seat concealed "on or about" the person, and are, therefore, unlawful. Firearms located in glove compartments, locked or unlocked, are not considered concealed.

Link Removed

It is hard for some people like me to believe you have to undergo such BS to do what you want. Here it is simple. As long as you can pass the NICS background, the only rules are: to buy rifle or shotgun-have to be 18, to buy pistol- have to be 21. To open carry, be 21 and pass the background check! :) To carry concealled, get your CCW and enjoy the freedom. And also, in KY when you get your CCW, that not only includes pistols, but anything the State has determined to be a 'Deadly Weapon', such as automatic knives, brass knuckles or whatever.

It looks like my wife and I will be retiring to KY in less than a year! We are currently looking at homes in the Wingo area, or there abouts! I have a NY full carry permit, as well as a FL and UT non-resident permits.KY is our 1st choice for a number of reasons!
My wife's Family actually is from Lynn Grove, and my wife and her Mother both went to Murray State College. W spent many vacations in Lynn Grove when our 1st Son was very young (he's now 40 y/o, and a retired military vet!). My main reason though for selecting KY is because they are 2A friendly!
This brings me to my questions:
I currently have numerous handguns, which are registered on my NYS CCW permit, as well as numerous long guns. Can I just pack them up with me and transport them to KY when I move?
Is there no problem with the whole "transporting across state lines" BS that NYS spews?

As a side note, does anyone have an opinion good, or bad about the Wingo area? Keep in mind that we are retiring, so I'm not looking for night life, etc., I would be interested in knowing about gun clubs, etc. If anyone lives in the area, perhaps I can PM you and get additional information, such as things to do in the area, outdoor activities, grocery, and drug stores, etc.!
Thanks in advance for any input given!

MO

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back