Moving to BAMA

jchantelau

Ok, so today I just accepted a job offer in the Huntsville area. Currently I am waiting on my South Carolina CWP to get to me, I think I have another 60 days before I will get it. In order to carry concealed in GA and AL I was planning to get a nonres Florida permit. I already have a valid Alabama address but I'm still carrying my SC drivers license and I do not want to transfer it over to AL, at least not right now. If I get just an Alabama Photo ID Card for 23 bucks and I have my valid Alabama address I should be good to go to apply for a permit with the sherrifs office correct? Anything else I need?

Let me answer my own question....lol

From the Madison County sherrif's office you need to be a resident for at least 6 months and then it will take 6 to 8 weeks to receive.

:sarcastic: Or... you could live a little west out the '72 in Limestone county and get your permit in 10 minutes, no minimum residency, like I did.

Let me answer my own question....lol

From the Madison County sherrif's office you need to be a resident for at least 6 months and then it will take 6 to 8 weeks to receive.

Here in AL, you are at the mercy of the Sheriff of the county in which you reside. The Sheriff can make up their own CCW rules. For example, there are no laws on the books restricting open carry in the State of Alabama. However, if you open carry in St. Clair County, you WILL be arrested and your CCW permit will be revoked. Per the commie Sheriff of St. Clair County, Sheriff Terry Surles. The good news is, the AL permit reciprocates to GA, MS, NC, TN, FL, etc... South Carolina does not recognize Alabama's permit. Alabama, GA, and MS do not recognize South Carolina's permit... tit for tat.

Here in AL, you are at the mercy of the Sheriff of the county in which you reside. The Sheriff can make up their own CCW rules. For example, there are no laws on the books restricting open carry in the State of Alabama. However, if you open carry in St. Clair County, you WILL be arrested and your CCW permit will be revoked. Per the commie Sheriff of St. Clair County, Sheriff Terry Surles. The good news is, the AL permit reciprocates to GA, MS, NC, TN, FL, etc... South Carolina does not recognize Alabama's permit. Alabama, GA, and MS do not recognize South Carolina's permit... tit for tat.

Yeah the best route is a FL nonres permit, pretty much covers the entire southeast for me.

Just an update...

I decided to go with a PA nonres to cover me for GA in traveling back and forth between AL and SC (cheaper than FL) and I also applied for an AL permit back around the second week in December and just picked it up yesterday. The process was pretty smooth but did take just over 7 weeks, keep in mind I was dealing with the holidays through that.

So far I'm covered in about 29 states with my SC, AL, PA permits.

My AL permit covers me for GA as well but I have family in friends in PA so it was worth getting and I have to say I applied going through Centre County mailing my app in and received it back in just under 2 weeks!:biggrin: Now the only challenge I have for coverage is MD and well fat chance there and I may need coverage for Nevada at some point.

Glad to have you with us in the Huntsville area. I'm the regional coordinator for the area and if you need more info you can contact us at our website. Madison County and the Huntsville area are fairly OC friendly. You do need a CPL to carry in a vehicle but we are working with the new legislators to get those laws changed. I hope all AL citizens that want to protect their RKBA will join us @ Welcome To Alabama Open Carry!.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back