Moved to CT

OldOwl

If someone moves from another state into CT and brings their pistols and long guns with them and is just keeping them in their home, what are they required to do as far as registering or permits?

Moving to CT? Welcome and sorry!

If someone moves from another state into CT and brings their pistols and long guns with them and is just keeping them in their home, what are they required to do as far as registering or permits?

Hey, OldOwl! Just so you are clear on one point: There is no firearm registration required in CT for handguns or long arms.

Sadly, there are some law enforcement agencies that will tell you otherwise; a New Haven police department detective in the firearms unit insisted that I had to register my handguns, but finally backed down when I asked THREE TIMES if I was "legally obligated" to register. She then admitted "No, but it is a good idea in case one or more are stolen." :mad:

I realize that police are not lawyers, but intentional misrepresentation should be illegal.

The one danger of which you must be careful is running afoul of the assault weapons ban. There are multiple firearms listed by name, as well as any weapon with a certain combination of features. Thus:

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

Yes, it is ridiculous how out of touch these people are. :wacko:

Having a pistol inside your house is OK and there is no registration, but I believe that you will need a permit if you are leaving the house with it, i.e. going to the range. Also, if you want to buy another firearm you will need either a CCW or Eligibility Certificate.

Of course you should contact the Connecticut DPS for detailed Q & A.

Well, if you want to take them out of the house, I think your going to need a permit.

Andy

Link Removed

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

Does that cover "going to the range"? I'm not sure....best bet is to get your CT Pistol Permit just so you're covered either way.

Oh...and there are those folks who will tell you that in order to bring you pistols into the state, you must have them shipped via FFL. That is NOT true. That is covered in Red above.

Just got my non res Conn permit the other day. 39 days. I believe that you can't have a pistol that can hold more then 10 in the mag. That correct?

Just got my non res Conn permit the other day. 39 days. I believe that you can't have a pistol that can hold more then 10 in the mag. That correct?

I don't think that is correct. Brady scored them a 0 out of 5 on that high cap mags. :biggrin:

Connecticut. It sucks, but less than New Jersey.

Having a pistol inside your house is OK and there is no registration, but I believe that you will need a permit if you are leaving the house with it, i.e. going to the range. Also, if you want to buy another firearm you will need either a CCW or Eligibility Certificate.

Of course you should contact the Connecticut DPS for detailed Q & A.

Also, if you have a permit already, I would highly recommend you apply for an out of state CT license before you move to Connecticut. Out of state permits are handled by the state, and tend to be processed much quicker. Once you move, you simply notify the state police of your change of address, and you are all set. If you wait until you are here, you will be required to apply through your local police department and, depending on where you live, it will take CONSIDERABLY longer (my experience in New Haven was terrible).

Well, if you want to take them out of the house, I think your going to need a permit.

Andy

Unfortunately, much of the code in Connecticut is left intentionally vague, with many issues not being addressed. Unless you have the cash to defend yourself in court, thus setting a precedent for the rest of us, then I think it wise to go ahead and get the permit.

Surprisingly, CT does not have a magazine capacity restriction law. :no:

Also, if you have a permit already, I would highly recommend you apply for an out of state CT license before you move to Connecticut. Out of state permits are handled by the state, and tend to be processed much quicker. Once you move, you simply notify the state police of your change of address, and you are all set. If you wait until you are here, you will be required to apply through your local police department and, depending on where you live, it will take CONSIDERABLY longer (my experience in New Haven was terrible).

+1. I got my non-res CT in 40 days...definitely go this route.

Unfortunately, much of the code in Connecticut is left intentionally vague, with many issues not being addressed. Unless you have the cash to defend yourself in court, thus setting a precedent for the rest of us, then I think it wise to go ahead and get the permit.

Surprisingly, CT does not have a magazine capacity restriction law. :no:
That's great! I may have got this mixed up with Mass.

That's good advice!

Also, open carry is allowed and that's great, no more worries of "printing" and accidental brandishing, so feel free to pull out the OWB holsters:biggrin:

Au contraire, my friend!

That's good advice!

Also, open carry is allowed and that's great, no more worries of "printing" and accidental brandishing, so feel free to pull out the OWB holsters:biggrin:

While sites like opencarry.org list CT as an open carry state, it is a legally gray area, and some folks HAVE been arrested recently exercising their 2nd amendment right to open carry. It seems that it rather depends on the town in which you find yourself while open carrying.

Good luck!

While sites like opencarry.org list CT as an open carry state, it is a legally gray area, and some folks HAVE been arrested recently exercising their 2nd amendment right to open carry. It seems that it rather depends on the town in which you find yourself while open carrying.

Good luck!

I saw it all started with this article.
Link Removed

Also, the arrest of an open-carrier, which was thrown out by the judge, because there is nothing in CT law stating that gun must be concealed.
"There is no law that expressly prohibits the open carrying of a firearm by somebody who has a permit to carry it, in and of itself," said Chief State's Attorney Kevin Kane. "But there are statutes that could very well be violated, depending on the evidence and the circumstances. And that could lead to arrest, confiscation and forfeiture of firearms that are displayed in violation of those statutes."

Many of us who carry in CT always new that "technically" you can carry in CT, but practically none of us wanted to be a "test-case" and CT can revoke you license anytime if they feel you are not a responsible carrier, and there lays the kicker!

I'm with you, Ricardo!

I saw it all started with this article.
Link Removed

Also, the arrest of an open-carrier, which was thrown out by the judge, because there is nothing in CT law stating that gun must be concealed.
"There is no law that expressly prohibits the open carrying of a firearm by somebody who has a permit to carry it, in and of itself," said Chief State's Attorney Kevin Kane. "But there are statutes that could very well be violated, depending on the evidence and the circumstances. And that could lead to arrest, confiscation and forfeiture of firearms that are displayed in violation of those statutes."

Many of us who carry in CT always new that "technically" you can carry in CT, but practically none of us wanted to be a "test-case" and CT can revoke you license anytime if they feel you are not a responsible carrier, and there lays the kicker!

I get what you are saying, and I totally support you. The big issue, for me, is that if I am illegally arrested for open carry here in New Haven, and I have a few friends on the force who say that there are definitely some officers who will do so if given the opportunity, then my permit is automatically revoked. That means money that I don't have to get out of jail, time that I don't have to get my confiscated weapon returned, and about a year to get a hearing to (hopefully) get my permit restored. That is a long time to be undefended, ESPECIALLY in my neighborhood.
:unsure:

Agreed!

I get what you are saying, and I totally support you. The big issue, for me, is that if I am illegally arrested for open carry here in New Haven, and I have a few friends on the force who say that there are definitely some officers who will do so if given the opportunity, then my permit is automatically revoked. That means money that I don't have to get out of jail, time that I don't have to get my confiscated weapon returned, and about a year to get a hearing to (hopefully) get my permit restored. That is a long time to be undefended, ESPECIALLY in my neighborhood.
:unsure:

You are spot on about that! I hereby retract the open carrying, OWB & Printing is ok in CT. Don't be a test-case:hang3:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back