Mother Warned 2-Year-Old Before He Shot Himself

mom of 3 angels

Okay, in case it's not obvious, talking about firearms consequences with a 2 year old is NOT enough! They do not comprehend the seriousness of it and will generally do what parents tell them not to at that age anyway. Very sad this family did not do more to protect their little guy . . .

Link Removed

JEWETT CITY, Conn. — Court documents show that moments before a Jewett City toddler fatally shot himself, his mother warned him not to touch his father's gun because of the "bad boo boos" it could cause.

An arrest affidavit details how 2-year-old Wyatt Matteau grabbed the gun from a nightstand and shot himself in the eye while his mother was in the bathroom.

On the morning of Aug. 28, Rebecca Matteau was watching TV with her son and her 3-month-old daughter, just minutes before the shooting. The children's father was sleeping in the bedroom.

Minutes later the boy shot himself, and he died less than two hours later.

The parents have been arrested on charges including risk of injury to a minor and criminally negligent storage of a firearm.

I have two kids and the first thing i got online when i was looking at doing CC. Was a handgun safe for the gun as well as ammo but it maybe to small for the ammo and gun. So i may have to get another one for the ammo as i am not going to leave that out as they are into every thing. Last thing i need is for one of them to eat a bullet or set it off some how. My worst fear in life is them getting hurt and if they got hurt because of me being a DUMB ASS and died i would not be able to live with my self.I have a two year old and if i tell her no or not to do something i get a fast (Why dad,Or shut up) back from her and she does it any way. They have no fear at that age and will do any thing...

I feel sorry for the parents but it is obvious they suffer from a severe lack of common sense.

The sad part is that this was totally preventable. She didn't actually believe that simply giving the child a good talking to would prevent tragedy, did she? Since when has a mere "talking to" ever worked with a two-year-old?

And, as if that's not bad enough, the Bradys are going to have a field day with this one.

Me thinks there is more going on here...!?! This story has my crap detector is going off. If I were investigating, I would be looking into the family situation a little deeper.

Alot of us have to jump through hoops and have very extensive background checks for our permits. The same should be done for people wanting to have children.

This should have totally been prevented. How hard is it, to walk over to the child, and remove either A) the child from the firearm, or B) remove the firearm from the Childs presence.

I am not a father, but I do have very young nephews. When ever they are over my house, I make sure everything is locked up, even ammo. I make sure nothing is left in sight. I don't understand how parents can be so lax with their children touching loaded weapons at the age of 2. This story really irritated me when I read it because it is something that should have totally been prevented. I do feel bad for the parents in loosing a child, but c'mon, this should have NEVER happened.

Props to all you parents whom take safe measures with your children and firearms. You have my respect.

You know this would be a kin to having a house on the corner of two very busy streets with cars zipping by in all directions. With the child standing on the curb the parent sets in the house and calls out, "don't go out in the street it is dangerous".

You know this would be a kin to having a house on the corner of two very busy streets with cars zipping by in all directions. With the child standing on the curb the parent sets in the house and calls out, "don't go out in the street it is dangerous".

Well, it's more like pointing out the curb, streets and traffic that the kid might not have paid any attention to otherwise. If the mother hadn't notified the kid of the gun that they were too young to understand much about, they may otherwise have ignored it.

Obviously that's not a reliable safety - firearms shouldn't be left out AT ALL around children. Carry it, or lock it up - period!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back