Most unusual EDC pistol you've seen.

DukeYukon

A few years ago I ran into a gentleman in Idaho who open-carried a pistol almost as big as his leg. It was, I believe, a replica of the famous Walker Colt -- a .44 caliber cap-and-ball revolver dating back to the 1840's.

He said he carried it every day, and shot it, cleaned it, and reloaded it every evening. His choice, but I thought it odd nonetheless.

Has anyone seen anything to top that?

The nice thing about a cap and ball type is that it is not considered a pistol and therefore legal in most places. You order one of those on line and they send it right to your door without a FFL involved and don't need any kind of permit to carry it almost anywhere.

I didn't realize that.

But I have enjoyed the two opportunities I've had to shoot an old black powder revolver. I love all that smoke. lol.

wow, that is so cool.

But I think that gunsite has a class for cap and ball as a defensive carry. or was it a single action revolver?

shoot I do not remember anymore.

but anyway. it is cool, because it is so old school.

The nice thing about a cap and ball type is that it is not considered a pistol and therefore legal in most places. You order one of those on line and they send it right to your door without a FFL involved and don't need any kind of permit to carry it almost anywhere.
if you are a felon it exempts you from #'s laws but you may still have to make the trip to iron bars

if you are a felon it exempts you from #'s laws but you may still have to make the trip to iron bars

A good point that I have never researched. Since a C&B is not considered a gun it is exempt but it probably would be considered a weapon ao a felon could probably be charged and sent back to jail.

Strangest carry I've done is my 22lr Cobra Derringer in my underwear as a BUG. Scottevest sells clothes that has lots of pockets (their coats are great for EDC in the winter months by the way Outback Jacket from SCOTTEVEST/SeV - Outback Jacket with Hidden Pockets). Well they sell underwear that has a pocket designed more to hold an ipod - i guess if you're walking around the house in your underwear or something. I thought it was an ideal size for my derringer so I tried it. It did work great and was comfortable. Not very practical though - it makes a pocket holster look like a quickdraw. I tried it out just to see if I could. Not my usual EDC.

Crazy stuff. It wasn't a firearm but I did know a guy who carried a piece of wire. I am talking a piece of 500MCM which ways about a pound per foot. Not the best choice but I am sure it would hurt to get whacked by it.

By the way - I should clarify that when I tried it I carried it unloaded. I didn't want what happened to the guy in Arizona to happen to me :fie:

Crazy stuff. It wasn't a firearm but I did know a guy who carried a piece of wire. I am talking a piece of 500MCM which ways about a pound per foot. Not the best choice but I am sure it would hurt to get whacked by it.

I've jogged my own memory on this topic. During my first year of college (when I was too young to legally purchase a handgun) there had been several incidents of gangs coming onto campus to beat and rob students. Not having a pistol, I slipped a ten guage flare gun into my coat pocket.

Sure, it was only a single-shot. But I figured no matter how many attacked me, if I just put one round into the gut of the head-hoodlum that the others would be mildly intimidated by the site of that white phosphorous setting their thug friend on fire.

Never had (the opportunity) to use it.

From the time that I was 17 years old till I reached 21, I carried a replica Remington 1858 Army .44 everywhere with me. It was in my car always, and on my hip when I was in the woods. At the time, neither Federal or State law considered it a firearm, and State law did not consider "muzzle loaders" to be loaded unless they were capped. It did not take me long to put a few caps on the nipples of that thing, and I did carry it capped when in the woods. I later carried a replica 1851 Colt Navy in .36 cal along with it. The .44 was more powerful, but the .36 more accurate. My friends used to marvel when I would shoot plastic army men from a fence rail at 25 yards with that .36 and hit them at least 80% of the time. My first CC EDC was an Uberti Cattleman SAA in .45 Colt. I carried a pair of them until I replaced them with a CZ-75B for EDC, and later replaced that with .45 ACP Glocks. I still carry two pistols with me more often than not.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back